* [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2011-04-22 13:08 Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2011-04-22 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ltp-list

Hi,

A recent posting on lkml noted that the selinux testsuite in ltp doesn't
work anymore.  As no one seems to be maintaining it in the ltp, I'd
suggest just removing it entirely. You may want to leave a README.MOVED
or similar file pointing to the new location, e.g.:

The selinux testsuite has been moved to a standalone testsuite
separate from the ltp.  You can obtain it via:
 git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite

Thanks.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* Re: [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2011-04-22 20:43 ` Shubham Goyal
From: Shubham Goyal @ 2011-04-22 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list

On Friday 22 April 2011 06:38 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A recent posting on lkml noted that the selinux testsuite in ltp doesn't
> work anymore.  As no one seems to be maintaining it in the ltp, I'd
> suggest just removing it entirely. You may want to leave a README.MOVED
> or similar file pointing to the new location, e.g.:
>
> The selinux testsuite has been moved to a standalone testsuite
> separate from the ltp.  You can obtain it via:
>   git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
>
> Thanks.

Hi Stephan,

Can you please tell what was the exact problem in running LTP's selinux
testsuite?
I tried running them and it worked for me with a minor modification. The
current
'test_selinux.sh' sets the LTPROOT as the LTP source's 'testscripts'
directory but as
per current build process '/opt/ltp' is the install directory. After
making these changes
in 'test_selinux.sh' script, the test cases worked fine for me.

I believe keeping it as a part of LTP tree is a better idea and would
have better
chances of getting it maintained along with other LTP test case and modules.

Thanks,
Shubham

* Re: [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2011-04-25 13:32   ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2011-04-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shubham Goyal; +Cc: ltp-list

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 02:13 +0530, Shubham Goyal wrote:
> On Friday 22 April 2011 06:38 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A recent posting on lkml noted that the selinux testsuite in ltp doesn't
> > work anymore.  As no one seems to be maintaining it in the ltp, I'd
> > suggest just removing it entirely. You may want to leave a README.MOVED
> > or similar file pointing to the new location, e.g.:
> >
> > The selinux testsuite has been moved to a standalone testsuite
> > separate from the ltp.  You can obtain it via:
> >   git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Hi Stephan,
>
> Can you please tell what was the exact problem in running LTP's selinux
> testsuite?
> I tried running them and it worked for me with a minor modification. The
> current
> 'test_selinux.sh' sets the LTPROOT as the LTP source's 'testscripts'
> directory but as
> per current build process '/opt/ltp' is the install directory. After
> making these changes
> in 'test_selinux.sh' script, the test cases worked fine for me.

I don't know the exact problem; I just know that it didn't work for the
person who mentioned it in passing on lkml.  And apparently it didn't
work for you either until you changed test_selinux.sh.  But I know that
test_selinux.sh has worked in the past, even after the change
to /opt/ltp, and that we haven't changed it recently.

Actually, I just tried running it via cd /opt/ltp
&& ./testscripts/test_selinux.sh and it seemed to work fine.  This was
with the current git, building in-tree, installing to /opt/ltp.

> I believe keeping it as a part of LTP tree is a better idea and would
> have better
> chances of getting it maintained along with other LTP test case and modules.

This has been discussed a bit in the past, e.g. see this thread:
http://marc.info/?t=127790181000003&r=1&w=2

At present we see no benefit, only cost, to maintaining the selinux
testsuite in the ltp as it is regularly broken by unrelated changes
elsewhere in the ltp and as it is not truly integrated into the ltp (you
have to perform separate steps to build and run it).  In comparison, we
don't have to worry about unrelated changes breaking the standalone
selinux testsuite, and it is certainly no harder to do this:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
cd selinux-testsuite
sudo make test

than to do this:

git clone git://ltp.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ltp/ltp
cd ltp
make autotools
./configure
make all
make install
cd testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite
make all
make install
cd /opt/ltp
./testscripts/test_selinux.sh

If the selinux testsuite were fully integrated into the ltp (e.g. built
and run by default if SELinux is enabled on the system), then that might
be more worthwhile to keep it as part of the ltp.  But in the 6 years
since it was added to the ltp, that hasn't happened.

--

@ 2011-04-25 19:20     ` Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues
From: Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues @ 2011-04-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 09:32 -0400, Stephen Smalley wrote:

> At present we see no benefit, only cost, to maintaining the selinux
> testsuite in the ltp as it is regularly broken by unrelated changes
> elsewhere in the ltp and as it is not truly integrated into the ltp (you
> have to perform separate steps to build and run it).  In comparison, we
> don't have to worry about unrelated changes breaking the standalone
> selinux testsuite, and it is certainly no harder to do this:
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
> cd selinux-testsuite
> sudo make test
>
> than to do this:
>
> git clone git://ltp.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ltp/ltp
> cd ltp
> make autotools
> ./configure
> make all
> make install
> cd testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite
> make all
> make install
> cd /opt/ltp
> ./testscripts/test_selinux.sh
>
> If the selinux testsuite were fully integrated into the ltp (e.g. built
> and run by default if SELinux is enabled on the system), then that might
> be more worthwhile to keep it as part of the ltp.  But in the 6 years
> since it was added to the ltp, that hasn't happened.

+1 for this. In the end of the day, what matters for a software project
is maintenance. Since we have a working, maintained git repo with the
selinux testsuite, it's better than having it half integrated with LTP,
so the better choice here IMHO is to just remove it from the LTP tree.

I know LTP aims to be comprehensive, but this comprehensiveness has to
be achieved through tightly integrated code, no point in keeping
disconnected pieces of code in the tree, that will likely break and
bitrot. I wish I could commit in looking at all current testsuites
merged into LTP that need better integration so we can opt by:

1) Remove
2) Do what it takes to get it fully integrated in terms of API, build
system, workflow.

I am not an LTP maintainer so I feel like I'm meddling on other people's
business, however I thought it'd be worth to point this out... take it
with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

Lucas

* Re: [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2011-04-25 19:38     ` Garrett Cooper
From: Garrett Cooper @ 2011-04-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list

On Apr 25, 2011, at 6:32 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov> wrote:

> [...]
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
> cd selinux-testsuite
> sudo make test
>
> than to do this:
>
> git clone git://ltp.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ltp/ltp
> cd ltp
> make autotools
> ./configure
> make all
> make install
> cd testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite
> make all
> make install
> cd /opt/ltp
> ./testscripts/test_selinux.sh
>
> If the selinux testsuite were fully integrated into the ltp (e.g. built
> and run by default if SELinux is enabled on the system), then that might
> be more worthwhile to keep it as part of the ltp.  But in the 6 years
> since it was added to the ltp, that hasn't happened.

Do what's easiest for you guys to maintain upstream; what you suggested makes sense: pull from git and run selinux as-is. The twist I'm proposing here is as follows:
1. The selinux test suite needs to be made modular and portable. I'll provide you with autoconf/other patches sometime after I get back from vacation on friday.
2. I'll add logic to pull from git in ltp, which means the following: releases will come with the selinux test suite; archives and other non-release mechanisms won't. Thus, if you want to run the selinux testcases, you will need git, and will have to specify --with-selinux=yes when running configure, etc.

Sound ok?

Thanks!
-Garrett

* Re: [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2011-04-26 13:21       ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2011-04-26 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garrett Cooper; +Cc: ltp-list, Serge Hallyn

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 12:38 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2011, at 6:32 AM, Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov> wrote:
> > At present we see no benefit, only cost, to maintaining the selinux
> > testsuite in the ltp as it is regularly broken by unrelated changes
> > elsewhere in the ltp and as it is not truly integrated into the ltp (you
> > have to perform separate steps to build and run it).  In comparison, we
> > don't have to worry about unrelated changes breaking the standalone
> > selinux testsuite, and it is certainly no harder to do this:
> >
> > git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
> > cd selinux-testsuite
> > sudo make test
> >
> > than to do this:
> >
> > git clone git://ltp.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/ltp/ltp
> > cd ltp
> > make autotools
> > ./configure
> > make all
> > make install
> > cd testcases/kernel/security/selinux-testsuite
> > make all
> > make install
> > cd /opt/ltp
> > ./testscripts/test_selinux.sh
> >
> > If the selinux testsuite were fully integrated into the ltp (e.g. built
> > and run by default if SELinux is enabled on the system), then that might
> > be more worthwhile to keep it as part of the ltp.  But in the 6 years
> > since it was added to the ltp, that hasn't happened.
>
> Do what's easiest for you guys to maintain upstream; what you suggested makes sense: pull from git and run selinux as-is. The twist I'm proposing here is as follows:
> 1. The selinux test suite needs to be made modular and portable. I'll provide you with autoconf/other patches sometime after I get back from vacation on friday.
> 2. I'll add logic to pull from git in ltp, which means the following: releases will come with the selinux test suite; archives and other non-release mechanisms won't. Thus, if you want to run the selinux testcases, you will need git, and will have to specify --with-selinux=yes when running configure, etc.
>
> Sound ok?

Not sure what modularity or portability problems you see in the
testsuite, but I think autotools would be overkill and just make
maintenance harder.  If by modularity you mean the ability to run tests
individually, that is already possible, and if by portability you mean
the ability to build and run the tests on the various architectures, I
believe that also is already covered.  We certainly don't have to
concern ourselves with portability to other OSes, as the selinux
testsuite is by definition specific to Linux.

--

@ 2011-05-06 11:25         ` Cyril Hrubis
       [not found]           ` <1304686654.1821.14.camel@moss-pluto>
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-05-06 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list, Serge Hallyn

Hi!
Okay, let's renew the conversation now. What we have:

* selinux is outdated in LTP and maintained elsewhere
* and the selinux is not well integrated with LTP

And my points are:

* we don't have manpower to integrate selinux with LTP
* it's not good if testers use outdated selinux from LTP

And what we could do:

* remove selinux from LTP with redirect to it's repository
  - that is easy, but a little controversial

* start pulling changes in selinux git into LTP git
  - should be easy, may have some problems with LTP make system
    integration

* integrate selinux with LTP
  - hard one, anybody starting that would have my support (I could help
    with understanding LTP infrastructure)

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

@ 2011-05-11 12:39             ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-05-11 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list, Serge Hallyn

Hi!
> I'd vote for the first option. The second one is harder than you may
> think given differences in test harness and layout, and the third one
> seems unlikely at this point.  Just redirect to
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite

Okay.

Let's wait for about a week or two and if nobody would object in that
period I'll do so.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz

* Re: [LTP] selinux-testsuite has moved
@ 2012-01-17  9:48 ` Jan Stancek
From: Jan Stancek @ 2012-01-17  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley; +Cc: ltp-list

> The selinux testsuite has been moved to a standalone testsuite
> separate from the ltp.  You can obtain it via:
>  git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite

Hi,

Is this still valid? I'm having troubles cloning from there.

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/src/selinux-testsuite/.git/

and also I can't see it listed here: http://git.kernel.org/

Regards,
Jan

@ 2012-01-18 13:16   ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2012-01-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Stancek; +Cc: ltp-list, Stephen Smalley

Hi!
> Is this still valid? I'm having troubles cloning from there.
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/tests/selinux-testsuite
> Initialized empty Git repository in /usr/src/selinux-testsuite/.git/
>
> and also I can't see it listed here: http://git.kernel.org/

Yes, it is.

However some of the repositories on kernel.org haven't yet recovered
from the security breach. I would expect this is the case here.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@suse.cz