* data alignment for SSD: Stripe size or sector size given with -s?
@ 2011-05-14  7:31 Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2011-05-14  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi!

> [ANNOUNCE] Btrfs v0.9
> [...]
> * Stripe size parameter to mkfs.btrfs (-s size_in_bytes). Extents will
>  be aligned to the stripe size for performance.
> [...]
http://fixunix.com/kernel/258991-[announce]-btrfs-v0-9-a.html

versus

>        -s, --sectorsize size
>               Specify the sectorsize, the minimum block allocation.

(man mkfs.btrfs with btrfs-tools 0.19+20101101-1 debian package).

Which one applies? Or do both mention the same? My notion of a sector is
something different tough.

I wonder how to set a stripe size for alignment to erase blocks of an
Intel SSD 320. Or whether to set anything at all. I want to try to use GPT
with ThinkPad T520 UEFI BIOS.

I read from Chris that metadata is basically aligned at 2 MiB already with
mount option "ssd" which is default for non rotational media:

> Today, metadata allocations are 4k aligned but we do metadata
> allocations in cluster of 256k in size (2MB in size in mount -o ssd
> mode).  This results in larger metadata writes, and more contiguous
> metadata writes.  The larger writes give the SSD FTL a better chance of
> doing more optimal management of the flash.

(Re: SSDs and filesystem alignment... from 2009-02-23,

But what about data alignment?

Ciao,