* [linux-lvm] LVM - Combining different hard drives with different specs ?
@ 2011-05-21 22:38 Lee Gold
From: Lee Gold @ 2011-05-21 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Hi,

I have a 100GB IDE HD that will fill up soon. I have a 1TB SATA drive I
want to add. I am using Ubuntu Server 10.04, I installed the existing
100GB drive using LVM, only a single initial HD. I aim to increase my
storage capacity under the server's document root /var/www... Before I
get started hopefully asking intelligent questions and giving the needed
information to help you help me, I wanted to ask this initial question:

These two drives are different, they surely have different performance.
Will this be a problem? If it was RAID I think matching drives are
needed. I just want to add storage capacity with acceptable performance
for a local in-house server.

Thanks,

Lee G.

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM - Combining different hard drives with different specs ?
@ 2011-05-22  6:42 ` Ray Morris
From: Ray Morris @ 2011-05-22  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Not a problem. If the drives have different performance,
some files may have different performance, but that's
actually nothing new because the outside of a disk platter
is faster than the inner tracks. So whether you have one
disk, two matched disks, or two mismatched disks you'll
always have different areas with different performance.
--
Ray Morris
support@bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

@ 2011-05-23  2:05 ` Stuart D. Gathman
From: Stuart D. Gathman @ 2011-05-23  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

On Sat, 21 May 2011, Lee Gold wrote:

> I have a 100GB IDE HD that will fill up soon. I have a 1TB SATA drive I
> want to add. I am using Ubuntu Server 10.04, I installed the existing
> 100GB drive using LVM, only a single initial HD. I aim to increase my
> storage capacity under the server's document root /var/www... Before I
> get started hopefully asking intelligent questions and giving the needed
> information to help you help me, I wanted to ask this initial question:
>
> These two drives are different, they surely have different performance.
> Will this be a problem? If it was RAID I think matching drives are
> needed. I just want to add storage capacity with acceptable performance
> for a local in-house server.

Even for RAID, they don't have to match.  For RAID1, write speed will
follow the slowest drive.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

* Re: [linux-lvm] LVM - Combining different hard drives with different specs ?
@ 2011-05-23 11:10   ` James Hawtin
From: James Hawtin @ 2011-05-23 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LVM general discussion and development

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> Even for RAID, they don't have to match.  For RAID1, write speed will
> follow the slowest drive.
Though combining lower and higher speed drives can increase the wear
rate on the larger drive (that is atleast what we found when a 10k and
15k had to be used in a mirror (due to spare drive availablity).

James