* Mixed RAID 1 and 0 in different subvolumes?
@ 2011-05-23 20:06 Omen Wild
From: Omen Wild @ 2011-05-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux BTRFS

Is there a way to mix RAID 1 and 0 in different subvolumes?  I am a new
user to btrfs and would like to protect the important files with
mirroring, but have a bulk area that is striped for speed and size.

For example I want / and /home to be mirrored, but /media can just be
striped as it is all data I can easily recreate.

I see an item in the Project_ideas wiki entry called "Online raid
config" which looks exactly like what I am after.  I know some of the
items in that list are being worked on.  Is anyone working on this one?

Thanks

--
T-Shirt saying: When everyone agrees with me, I know I'm wrong.

* Re: Mixed RAID 1 and 0 in different subvolumes?
@ 2011-05-23 21:05 ` Hugo Mills
From: Hugo Mills @ 2011-05-23 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omen Wild; +Cc: Linux BTRFS

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 01:06:21PM -0700, Omen Wild wrote:
> Is there a way to mix RAID 1 and 0 in different subvolumes?  I am a new
> user to btrfs and would like to protect the important files with
> mirroring, but have a bulk area that is striped for speed and size.

   Not yet.

> For example I want / and /home to be mirrored, but /media can just be
> striped as it is all data I can easily recreate.
>
> I see an item in the Project_ideas wiki entry called "Online raid
> config" which looks exactly like what I am after.  I know some of the
> items in that list are being worked on.  Is anyone working on this one?

   It's certainly on my list of things to look at, if nobody else gets
there first.

   Hugo.

   --- You know... I'm sure this code would seem a lot better if I ---
                         never tried running it.

* Re: Mixed RAID 1 and 0 in different subvolumes?
@ 2011-05-24  5:29   ` Omen Wild
From: Omen Wild @ 2011-05-24  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Mills, Linux BTRFS

Quoting Hugo Mills <hugo@carfax.org.uk> on Mon, May 23 22:05:

> > I see an item in the Project_ideas wiki entry called "Online raid
> > config" which looks exactly like what I am after.  I know some of the
> > items in that list are being worked on.  Is anyone working on this one?
>
>    It's certainly on my list of things to look at, if nobody else gets
> there first.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep on the lookout for some patches.

--
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.