* gitk normal use on linux repo and severe memory pressure
@ 2011-05-25 15:20 Martin Langhoff
From: Martin Langhoff @ 2011-05-25 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

An anecdotical report: Right today, I fired up gitk on a linux-2.6.39
checkout to review some new patches. While discussing the patches with
other developers on irc, my machine (arguably, RAM-constrained at 1GB)
started to hit swap heavily.

Took a couple of minutes to kill it and get the machine back to a
usable state. This is on F-14, git v1.7.4.4 .

Linus' early instinct that people care about the recent patches (so
gitk and git log better show them immediately) was spot on. Now the
problem is that gitk continues to walk history regardless of user
interest. It gobbled up a ton of memory while I never went deeper than
20 commits.

I am tempted to set a global config option limiting gitk to a couple
thousand commits, but it's not really the right solution. If I am
trawling older history, I'll hit the limit and have to close gitk and
reopen overriding the parameter.

Are there efforts afoot to teach gitk to read in _some_ history and
pause, continuing if the user scrolls down? Not sure if searches are
done in-memory in gitk -- which probably complicates things.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 martin@laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC
 - ask interesting questions

* Re: gitk normal use on linux repo and severe memory pressure
@ 2011-05-25 17:01 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2011-05-25 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff@gmail.com> writes:

> I am tempted to set a global config option limiting gitk to a couple
> thousand commits, but it's not really the right solution. If I am
> trawling older history, I'll hit the limit and have to close gitk and
> reopen overriding the parameter.

You can start gitk with --max-count=N and if you need more commits you
can edit the current view to increase that number.  No need to restart
gitk.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: gitk normal use on linux repo and severe memory pressure
@ 2011-05-25 17:17   ` Martin Langhoff
From: Martin Langhoff @ 2011-05-25 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> You can start gitk with --max-count=N

Or --since=2.weeks.ago. Of course I can -- and sometimes do. But gitk
defaults to OOMing my box if I forget to do so on a large repo.

> and if you need more commits you
> can edit the current view to increase that number.  No need to restart
> gitk.

Ah, that's news to me! I just tried it and it's... awkward. In fact,
the dialog box seems to be missing an 'apply' button.

@ 2011-05-25 18:27 ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2011-05-25 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:20:24AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> An anecdotical report: Right today, I fired up gitk on a linux-2.6.39
> checkout to review some new patches. While discussing the patches with
> other developers on irc, my machine (arguably, RAM-constrained at 1GB)
> started to hit swap heavily.

Yeah, gitk on linux-2.6 tops out at around 1.6GB on my machine. Ouch.
That's 6-7K per commit. In git.git, it's similar (7-8K per commit).
For comparison, all of "git log --pretty=raw" for linux-2.6 is only
about 180M, or ~0.7K per commit.

Obviously there is going to be some overhead with organizing the data,
but that is really quite a lot.

> Are there efforts afoot to teach gitk to read in _some_ history and
> pause, continuing if the user scrolls down? Not sure if searches are
> done in-memory in gitk -- which probably complicates things.

Not that I know of. But it seems like there might be some room to
optimize gitk's storage. I know absolutely nothing about how commits are
stored now, though, so it's possible I'm completely wrong.

-Peff