* Failure in quotaon with kernel 2.6.39 (Was: Regression with ext4 in kernel 2.6.39-rc7?)
@ 2011-05-26 13:01 Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2011-05-26 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: Ext4 Developers List

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
>>
>>  Exactly, that is it. I cannot trigger the problem anymore with the patch.
>> I just wonder how come you've spotted the problem because test 232 does not
>> trigger the problem for me -
>
> It does not surprise me.
> As I wrote earlier, my system (Ubuntu 11.4) is behaving strange.
> Some tests fail the fsck at the end, because the filesystem fails to umount
> immediately after the test (lsof shows nothing and manual umount succeeds).
> It's probably the cause for 232 test to fail (even after the crash was fixed)
> and the cause for quotaoff to be called without quotaon in test 232 on
> my system.
>
>> it is triggered when you run quotaoff without
>> running quotaon and that does not happen with test 232.. Anyway, with the
>> attached patch running quotaoff on filesystem without quotas turned on
>> works fine whereas previously it oopsed.

So my quota tests (219 and 232) still fail (zero output from repquota)
and I realized 2 things:

1. they don't fail with kernel 2.6.38 (Ubuntu 11.4 shipped kernel)

2. what seems to fail is quotaon:

amir@qalab:~/xfstests$ sudo quotaon /mnt/test/scratch
quotaon: using /mnt/test/scratch/aquota.user on /dev/sda8
[/mnt/test/scratch]: No such process
quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.

Which also explains why quotaoff was called without quotaon in my
original bug report.

amir@qalab:~/xfstests$ quotaon -V
Quota utilities version 4.00-pre1.
Compiled with: USE_LDAP_MAIL_LOOKUP EXT2_DIRECT HOSTS_ACCESS
ALT_FORMAT RPC RPC_SETQUOTA BSD_BEHAVIOUR
Bugs to jack@suse.cz

Any suggestions?

Amir.

* Re: Failure in quotaon with kernel 2.6.39 (Was: Regression with ext4 in kernel 2.6.39-rc7?)
@ 2011-05-26 14:58 ` Jan Kara
From: Jan Kara @ 2011-05-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amir Goldstein; +Cc: Jan Kara, Ext4 Developers List

On Thu 26-05-11 16:01:00, Amir Goldstein wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >>  Exactly, that is it. I cannot trigger the problem anymore with the patch.
> >> I just wonder how come you've spotted the problem because test 232 does not
> >> trigger the problem for me -
> >
> > It does not surprise me.
> > As I wrote earlier, my system (Ubuntu 11.4) is behaving strange.
> > Some tests fail the fsck at the end, because the filesystem fails to umount
> > immediately after the test (lsof shows nothing and manual umount succeeds).
> > It's probably the cause for 232 test to fail (even after the crash was fixed)
> > and the cause for quotaoff to be called without quotaon in test 232 on
> > my system.
> >
> >> it is triggered when you run quotaoff without
> >> running quotaon and that does not happen with test 232.. Anyway, with the
> >> attached patch running quotaoff on filesystem without quotas turned on
> >> works fine whereas previously it oopsed.
>
> So my quota tests (219 and 232) still fail (zero output from repquota)
> and I realized 2 things:
>
> 1. they don't fail with kernel 2.6.38 (Ubuntu 11.4 shipped kernel)
>
> 2. what seems to fail is quotaon:
>
> amir@qalab:~/xfstests$ sudo quotaon /mnt/test/scratch
> quotaon: using /mnt/test/scratch/aquota.user on /dev/sda8
> [/mnt/test/scratch]: No such process
> quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.
  Hum, how about that you forgot to configure kernel with quota support as
the message suggests? Or that you forgot to enable appropriate quota format
or forgot to load the module (if compiled as such)?

> Which also explains why quotaoff was called without quotaon in my
> original bug report.
>
> amir@qalab:~/xfstests$ quotaon -V
> Quota utilities version 4.00-pre1.
> Compiled with: USE_LDAP_MAIL_LOOKUP EXT2_DIRECT HOSTS_ACCESS
> ALT_FORMAT RPC RPC_SETQUOTA BSD_BEHAVIOUR
> Bugs to jack@suse.cz

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR

* Re: Failure in quotaon with kernel 2.6.39 (Was: Regression with ext4 in kernel 2.6.39-rc7?)
@ 2011-05-26 15:53   ` Amir Goldstein
From: Amir Goldstein @ 2011-05-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kara; +Cc: Ext4 Developers List

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Jan Kara <jack@suse.cz> wrote:
> On Thu 26-05-11 16:01:00, Amir Goldstein wrote:

>> > It does not surprise me.
>> > As I wrote earlier, my system (Ubuntu 11.4) is behaving strange.
>> > Some tests fail the fsck at the end, because the filesystem fails to umount
>> > immediately after the test (lsof shows nothing and manual umount succeeds).
>> > It's probably the cause for 232 test to fail (even after the crash was fixed)
>> > and the cause for quotaoff to be called without quotaon in test 232 on
>> > my system.

>> So my quota tests (219 and 232) still fail (zero output from repquota)
>> and I realized 2 things:
>>
>> 1. they don't fail with kernel 2.6.38 (Ubuntu 11.4 shipped kernel)
>>
>> 2. what seems to fail is quotaon:
>>
>> amir@qalab:~/xfstests$ sudo quotaon /mnt/test/scratch
>> quotaon: using /mnt/test/scratch/aquota.user on /dev/sda8
>> [/mnt/test/scratch]: No such process
>> quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.
>  Hum, how about that you forgot to configure kernel with quota support as
> the message suggests? Or that you forgot to enable appropriate quota format
> or forgot to load the module (if compiled as such)?

Yes. didn't build the quota format modules.
I wasn't aware that quota support has loadable modules.
I took the shipped Ubuntu config and ran make localmodconfig to make
my build shorter,
so I lost the quota format modules :-)