* CIFS Not Responding Error On Working System
@ 2011-04-28 19:27 Mike
       [not found] ` <4DB9BFBA.3020403-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike @ 2011-04-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hopefully I am submitting this to the correct email list.  I have been
doing Google searches and haven't found anyone that has the same string
in their log file, so I'm looking for help on this issue.

Recently I lost my hard drive and had to reinstall Debian.  I am now
getting these errors in /var/log/syslog and I can't figure out why:
Apr 28 11:57:05 rockenfield kernel: [1479867.192022] CIFS VFS: Server
peart has not responded in 300 seconds. Reconnecting...

The weird thing is that there are no problems.  I can view the shares on
the remote Windows machine (peart is WinXP 64 SP2) with no problems
whatsoever.  Also my Windows machine can see my samba shares as well, so
both directions work fine and I'm not sure why these messages are occurring.

Here is my /etc/fstab (samba/cifs mounts only, trimmed to applicable
content):
//peart/mp3  /mnt/peart/mp3 cifs
defaults,credentials=/etc/samba/smbpass.peart,_netdev 0 0
//peart/software  /mnt/peart/software cifs
defaults,credentials=/etc/samba/smbpass.peart,_netdev 0 0
//peart/backup  /mnt/peart/backup cifs
defaults,credentials=/etc/samba/smbpass.peart,_netdev 0 0
//peart/dvd  /mnt/peart/dvd cifs
defaults,credentials=/etc/samba/smbpass.peart,_netdev 0 0

Here is my /etc/samba/smb.conf:
[global]
    workgroup = HOME_NETWORK
    netbios name = ROCKENFIELD
    server string = %h server - Debian GNU/Linux
    dns proxy = no
    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
    interfaces = 192.168.123.0/24 eth1
    bind interfaces only = yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.123.
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog = 0
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700
    valid users = %S
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    create mask = 0700
[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    browseable = yes
    read only = yes
    guest ok = no

I am running Debian wheezy/testing (7.0).  The kernel version is
2.6.38-2-amd64.  Samba version is 3.5.8~dfsg-1 (obtained from "dpkg -l |
grep samba").  This is just a home network, so I don't have a Domain
Controller or anything fancy.  It's just a Debian box and a WinXP box
and I'm sharing files/directories on each side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
-MikeD

* Re: CIFS Not Responding Error On Working System
       [not found] ` <4DB9BFBA.3020403-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-04-29 12:13   ` Shirish Pargaonkar
       [not found]     ` <BANLkTinoC1d=NBLyzXa61cB+tR-+4F50zg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Shirish Pargaonkar @ 2011-04-29 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Mike <miked-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [...]
>   comment = All Printers
>   browseable = no
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   printable = yes
>   guest ok = no
>   read only = yes
>   create mask = 0700
> [print$]
>   comment = Printer Drivers
>   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>   browseable = yes
>   read only = yes
>   guest ok = no
>

> I am running Debian wheezy/testing (7.0).  The kernel version is
> 2.6.38-2-amd64.  Samba version is 3.5.8~dfsg-1 (obtained from "dpkg -l |
> grep samba").  This is just a home network, so I don't have a Domain
> Controller or anything fancy.  It's just a Debian box and a WinXP box and
> I'm sharing files/directories on each side.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

May be some issues like firewall etc.?
Can you capture wireshark traces on either side and see if you see
any network in response to a mount reuqest from a cifs client?

@ 2011-04-29 13:32       ` Jeff Layton
       [not found]         ` <20110429093256.3c33cd01-4QP7MXygkU+dMjc06nkz3ljfA9RmPOcC@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Layton @ 2011-04-29 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shirish Pargaonkar; +Cc: Mike, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:13:05 -0500
Shirish Pargaonkar <shirishpargaonkar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
> >   create mask = 0700
> > [print$]
> >   comment = Printer Drivers
> >   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
> >   browseable = yes
> >   read only = yes
> >   guest ok = no
> >

> > I am running Debian wheezy/testing (7.0).  The kernel version is
> > 2.6.38-2-amd64.  Samba version is 3.5.8~dfsg-1 (obtained from "dpkg -l |
> > grep samba").  This is just a home network, so I don't have a Domain
> > Controller or anything fancy.  It's just a Debian box and a WinXP box and
> > I'm sharing files/directories on each side.
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
> > -MikeD
> > --
> >

> May be some issues like firewall etc.?
> Can you capture wireshark traces on either side and see if you see
> any network in response to a mount reuqest from a cifs client?

To be clear...

What sort of host is "peart" here? WinXP?
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton-eUNUBHrolfbYtjvyW6yDsg@public.gmane.org>

@ 2011-04-29 15:06           ` Mike Dillinger
       [not found]             ` <4DBAD409.9000300-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org>
From: Mike Dillinger @ 2011-04-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: Shirish Pargaonkar, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 04/29/11 06:32 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> [...]
>>>    comment = Printer Drivers
>>>    path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>>>    browseable = yes
>>>    read only = yes
>>>    guest ok = no
>>>

>>> I am running Debian wheezy/testing (7.0).  The kernel version is
>>> 2.6.38-2-amd64.  Samba version is 3.5.8~dfsg-1 (obtained from "dpkg -l |
>>> grep samba").  This is just a home network, so I don't have a Domain
>>> Controller or anything fancy.  It's just a Debian box and a WinXP box and
>>> I'm sharing files/directories on each side.
>>>
>>> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>>> -MikeD
>>> --
>>>
>> May be some issues like firewall etc.?
>> Can you capture wireshark traces on either side and see if you see
>> any network in response to a mount reuqest from a cifs client?
> To be clear...
>
> What sort of host is "peart" here? WinXP?

peart is WinXP 64 SP2, and the Linux machine is running Debian wheezy.
The XP firewall is off and the internet security firewall (Kaspersky
Internet Security) is off.

The firewall thing doesn't make sense, or else it seems to me that I
wouldn't be able to view the remote data.  The remote side *always*
works when I view the file share.  I have even tried during viewing the
data multiple times during the 5 minute interval where syslog states the
host is not responding.  I will capture Wireshark traces though if there
aren't any other suggestions.

@ 2011-04-29 21:04               ` Jeff Layton
       [not found]                 ` <20110429170436.22cb8c4c-4QP7MXygkU+dMjc06nkz3ljfA9RmPOcC@public.gmane.org>
From: Jeff Layton @ 2011-04-29 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Dillinger; +Cc: Shirish Pargaonkar, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:06:49 -0700
Mike Dillinger <miked-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 04/29/11 06:32 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:13:05 -0500
> > Shirish Pargaonkar<shirishpargaonkar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>  wrote:

> >> May be some issues like firewall etc.?
> >> Can you capture wireshark traces on either side and see if you see
> >> any network in response to a mount reuqest from a cifs client?
> > To be clear...
> >
> > What sort of host is "peart" here? WinXP?
>
> peart is WinXP 64 SP2, and the Linux machine is running Debian wheezy.
> The XP firewall is off and the internet security firewall (Kaspersky
> Internet Security) is off.
>
> The firewall thing doesn't make sense, or else it seems to me that I
> wouldn't be able to view the remote data.  The remote side *always*
> works when I view the file share.  I have even tried during viewing the
> data multiple times during the 5 minute interval where syslog states the
> host is not responding.  I will capture Wireshark traces though if there
> aren't any other suggestions.

Nothing I can think of. We'll need to see what's happening to the echo
request being sent to the server. What may be best is to open a bug at
bugzilla.samba.org to track this. If you do that, please cc me on it.

@ 2011-05-02 11:01               ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2011-05-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Dillinger; +Cc: Shirish Pargaonkar, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:06:49 -0700
Mike Dillinger <miked-yxPvCyoe84a+XT7JhA+gdA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > What sort of host is "peart" here? WinXP?
>
> peart is WinXP 64 SP2, and the Linux machine is running Debian wheezy.
> The XP firewall is off and the internet security firewall (Kaspersky
> Internet Security) is off.
>
> The firewall thing doesn't make sense, or else it seems to me that I
> wouldn't be able to view the remote data.  The remote side *always*
> works when I view the file share.  I have even tried during viewing the
> data multiple times during the 5 minute interval where syslog states the
> host is not responding.  I will capture Wireshark traces though if there
> aren't any other suggestions.

I might see the problem here. I think there's a bug in 2.6.38ish
kernels that's fixed by commit fd88ce93:

@@ -421,7 +420,7 @@ cifs_demultiplex_thread(struct TCP_Server_Info *server)
                pdu_length = 4; /* enough to get RFC1001 header */

 incomplete_rcv:
-               if (echo_retries > 0 &&
+               if (echo_retries > 0 && server->tcpStatus == CifsGood &&
                    time_after(jiffies, server->lstrp +
                                        (echo_retries * SMB_ECHO_INTERVAL))) {
                        cERROR(1, "Server %s has not responded in %d seconds. "

...if the server decides to disconnect the client for some reason, then
the above delta will prevent that error message from popping
unnecessarily. Steve, I think that patch should probably go to -stable
as well.

--

@ 2011-05-13 23:39                   ` Mike
From: Mike @ 2011-05-13 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Layton; +Cc: Shirish Pargaonkar, linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On 04/29/11 02:04 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> Nothing I can think of. We'll need to see what's happening to the echo
> request being sent to the server. What may be best is to open a bug at
> bugzilla.samba.org to track this. If you do that, please cc me on it.

I submitted bug 8134 and CC'ed you.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I work a lot of hours and have a
newborn at home.

Thanks for the help!

@ 2011-06-06  7:57 ` kofolamaster
       [not found]   ` <loom.20110606T095706-912-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: kofolamaster @ 2011-06-06  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

This is maybe related to this problem?

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/126601c09b6ea94f
/84041e22a62b47fa?lnk=raot&fwc=1&pli=1#

@ 2011-06-06 10:32     ` Jeff Layton
From: Jeff Layton @ 2011-06-06 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kofolamaster; +Cc: linux-cifs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 07:57:55 +0000 (UTC)
kofolamaster <kofolamaster-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> This is maybe related to this problem?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/126601c09b6ea94f
> /84041e22a62b47fa?lnk=raot&fwc=1&pli=1#

I don't think so -- at least, I don't think they're directly related. I
think we understand why the problem in $SUBJECT occurred and there's a
fix in place in mainline and current stable kernels.

Helge's problem seems to be something different. I think we'll need to
see wire traces to understand what's going on.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>