* rhel6 ofed v1.5.3
@ 2011-07-01 17:08 Michael Di Domenico
       [not found] ` <BANLkTi=fJr7BypNCs-7S4-THNTUGtmiicg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2011-07-01 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma

According to my installation of Ofed 1.5.3 on RHEL6, the
infiniband-diags package rpm is trying to chown /usr/local in order to
deposit a library in lib64.

In my environment /usr/local is off-limits to root and all package
installs.  Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround to allow the
install.pl to complete?

* install.pl "chown" issue (Was: Re: rhel6 ofed v1.5.3)
       [not found] ` <BANLkTi=fJr7BypNCs-7S4-THNTUGtmiicg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-07-05 22:36   ` Ira Weiny
       [not found]     ` <20110705153618.c7cba778.weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org>
From: Ira Weiny @ 2011-07-05 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Di Domenico; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:08:47 -0700
Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> According to my installation of Ofed 1.5.3 on RHEL6, the
> infiniband-diags package rpm is trying to chown /usr/local in order to
> deposit a library in lib64.

infiniband-diags does not do a chown.

> In my environment /usr/local is off-limits to root and all package
> installs.  Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround to allow the
> install.pl to complete?

I just tried this on a vanilla Fedora 15 system and was able to build the source rpms just fine.

Try building and installing in this order.

libibumad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
libibmad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
opensm-3.3.9-1.src.rpm
infiniband-diags-1.5.8-1.src.rpm

Ira

Ira Weiny
Math Programmer/Computer Scientist
Lawrence Livermore National Lab
925-423-8008
weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org

* Re: install.pl "chown" issue (Was: Re: rhel6 ofed v1.5.3)
       [not found]     ` <20110705153618.c7cba778.weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-07-11 13:28       ` Michael Di Domenico
       [not found]         ` <CABOsP2MbNq6Yqc6+DKes==gim1dk3oipCL6H5zN6EiMGJhOCOg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2011-07-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:08:47 -0700
> Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> According to my installation of Ofed 1.5.3 on RHEL6, the
>> infiniband-diags package rpm is trying to chown /usr/local in order to
>> deposit a library in lib64.
>
> infiniband-diags does not do a chown.

Sorry for the late reply, your reply got lost in my email bins...

I should correct my statement, when RPM does the cpio extraction of
the data that's what's reporting the error

>> In my environment /usr/local is off-limits to root and all package
>> installs.  Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround to allow the
>> install.pl to complete?
>
> I just tried this on a vanilla Fedora 15 system and was able to build the source rpms just fine.
>
> Try building and installing in this order.
>
> libibumad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
> libibmad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
> opensm-3.3.9-1.src.rpm
> infiniband-diags-1.5.8-1.src.rpm

these all build correctly using the install.pl file upto the
infiniband-diags file then i get

error: unpacking archive file on file /usr/local: cpio: Operation not supported

@ 2011-07-11 13:43           ` Michael Di Domenico
       [not found]             ` <CABOsP2NfGia2dNjxfdeG4SSRymbPSD+f1QzWPW_zKRw9PPU_rw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2011-07-11 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Michael Di Domenico
<mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:08:47 -0700
>> Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> According to my installation of Ofed 1.5.3 on RHEL6, the
>>> infiniband-diags package rpm is trying to chown /usr/local in order to
>>> deposit a library in lib64.
>>
>> infiniband-diags does not do a chown.
>
> Sorry for the late reply, your reply got lost in my email bins...
>
> I should correct my statement, when RPM does the cpio extraction of
> the data that's what's reporting the error
>
>>> In my environment /usr/local is off-limits to root and all package
>>> installs.  Is this a bug?  Is there a workaround to allow the
>>> install.pl to complete?
>>
>> I just tried this on a vanilla Fedora 15 system and was able to build the source rpms just fine.
>>
>> Try building and installing in this order.
>>
>> libibumad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
>> libibmad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
>> opensm-3.3.9-1.src.rpm
>> infiniband-diags-1.5.8-1.src.rpm
>
> these all build correctly using the install.pl file upto the
> infiniband-diags file then i get
>
> error: unpacking archive file on file /usr/local: cpio: Operation not supported

the file that seems to get included in the rpm is

/usr/local/lib64/perl5/IBswcountlimits.pm

i can't seem to locate where that's coming from though

@ 2011-07-11 14:42               ` Michael Di Domenico
       [not found]                 ` <CABOsP2PX-OSVBOMQ_fFv_bLApxZaUfr8_pA49FgDGTGHUZWBDQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2011-07-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Michael Di Domenico
<mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Michael Di Domenico
> <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>>> infiniband-diags does not do a chown.
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply, your reply got lost in my email bins...
>>
>> I should correct my statement, when RPM does the cpio extraction of
>> the data that's what's reporting the error

>>> I just tried this on a vanilla Fedora 15 system and was able to build the source rpms just fine.
>>>
>>> Try building and installing in this order.
>>>
>>> libibumad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
>>> libibmad-1.3.7-1.src.rpm
>>> opensm-3.3.9-1.src.rpm
>>> infiniband-diags-1.5.8-1.src.rpm
>>
>> these all build correctly using the install.pl file upto the
>> infiniband-diags file then i get
>>
>> error: unpacking archive file on file /usr/local: cpio: Operation not supported
>>

> the file that seems to get included in the rpm is
>
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5/IBswcountlimits.pm
>
> i can't seem to locate where that's coming from though

Looks like the spec file pulls the "installsitearch" from the perl
config.  on redhat 5 there doesn't seem to be an installsitearch
variable defined in the perl -V output, but on redhat 6 there is a
-Dinstallsitearch=/usr/local/lib64

this is a redhat 6'ism, i did a fresh install of rhel6.0 to test
whether it was something i messed up in the perl or not, but it wasn't
me.

i can likely work around the issue in the short term by recompiling
the spec file by hand

@ 2011-07-12 17:14                   ` Ira Weiny
       [not found]                     ` <20110712101433.a0da6a3f.weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org>
From: Ira Weiny @ 2011-07-12 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Di Domenico; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:42:38 -0700
Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Michael Di Domenico
> <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Michael Di Domenico
> > <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> >> Sorry for the late reply, your reply got lost in my email bins...
> >>
> >> I should correct my statement, when RPM does the cpio extraction of
> >> the data that's what's reporting the error

> >> these all build correctly using the install.pl file upto the
> >> infiniband-diags file then i get
> >>
> >> error: unpacking archive file on file /usr/local: cpio: Operation not supported
> >>

> > the file that seems to get included in the rpm is
> >
> > /usr/local/lib64/perl5/IBswcountlimits.pm
> >
> > i can't seem to locate where that's coming from though
>
> Looks like the spec file pulls the "installsitearch" from the perl
> config.  on redhat 5 there doesn't seem to be an installsitearch
> variable defined in the perl -V output, but on redhat 6 there is a
> -Dinstallsitearch=/usr/local/lib64
>
> this is a redhat 6'ism, i did a fresh install of rhel6.0 to test
> whether it was something i messed up in the perl or not, but it wasn't
> me.
>
> i can likely work around the issue in the short term by recompiling
> the spec file by hand

You're right...  :-(  Sorry about that.

I spoke to some people here and our RedHat consultant.  I think this module should be installed in vendorlib.  Would you agree?

Ira

--

@ 2011-07-12 17:27                       ` Michael Di Domenico
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2011-07-12 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Ira Weiny <weiny2-i2BcT+NCU+M@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:42:38 -0700
> Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Michael Di Domenico
>> <mdidomenico4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>> > the file that seems to get included in the rpm is
>> >
>> > /usr/local/lib64/perl5/IBswcountlimits.pm
>> >
>> > i can't seem to locate where that's coming from though
>>
>> Looks like the spec file pulls the "installsitearch" from the perl
>> config.  on redhat 5 there doesn't seem to be an installsitearch
>> variable defined in the perl -V output, but on redhat 6 there is a
>> -Dinstallsitearch=/usr/local/lib64
>>
>> this is a redhat 6'ism, i did a fresh install of rhel6.0 to test
>> whether it was something i messed up in the perl or not, but it wasn't
>> me.
>>
>> i can likely work around the issue in the short term by recompiling
>> the spec file by hand
>
> You're right...  :-(  Sorry about that.
>
> I spoke to some people here and our RedHat consultant.  I think this module should be installed in vendorlib.  Would you agree?

Yes (/usr/share modifications), would not affect our systems.  I can't
speak for everyone though.