* [Xenomai-help] Advice on clock sources for xenomai rtdm driver
@ 2011-07-10 21:41 Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes
From: Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes @ 2011-07-10 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello all.

I woud like to ask you some opinion about timers.
I am slowly working on a real time driver for a acquisition board. It can be
configured for read up to 32 anaalog channels and has a internal timer that wil
start the conversion on a programmed time (its a 8254 timer) or the PC ca send
a command to start conversions to. Sadly, there is no interrupt generated by
this board, so if using the internal timer the driver has to keep polling some
io ports to check for data and if any, retrieve it.
If I can setup a (precise) timer to trigger an interrupt, so I can start the
conversions and on a know time read back the data. But the interrupt rate
would be about 1K or a bit more, so RTC would not be a good idea, I think. I
also read about HPET but it seens to have issues with xenomai and also I read
that for some reason, some interupts would be lost. Do you guys recommend me
something? Should I stick with polling and set up some delays with
usleep_range or there is a good timer on PC boards and weel supported with
xenomai?

Sorry for the long post, and tanks.

Carlos Novaes.

* Re: [Xenomai-help] Advice on clock sources for xenomai rtdm driver
@ 2011-07-11 11:31 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2011-07-11 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes; +Cc: xenomai

On 07/10/2011 11:41 PM, Carlos Eduardo de Brito Novaes wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I woud like to ask you some opinion about timers.
> I am slowly working on a real time driver for a acquisition board. It can be
> configured for read up to 32 anaalog channels and has a internal timer that wil
> start the conversion on a programmed time (its a 8254 timer) or the PC ca send
> a command to start conversions to. Sadly, there is no interrupt generated by
> this board, so if using the internal timer the driver has to keep polling some
> io ports to check for data and if any, retrieve it.
> If I can setup a (precise) timer to trigger an interrupt, so I can start the
> conversions and on a know time read back the data. But the interrupt rate
> would be about 1K or a bit more, so RTC would not be a good idea, I think. I
> also read about HPET but it seens to have issues with xenomai and also I read
> that for some reason, some interupts would be lost. Do you guys recommend me
> something? Should I stick with polling and set up some delays with
> usleep_range or there is a good timer on PC boards and weel supported with
> xenomai?

If you are writing an rtdm driver, why not using rtdm timers?
http://www.xenomai.org/documentation/xenomai-2.5/html/api/group__rtdmtimer.html

--
                                                                Gilles.