* Please submit platform trees for inclusion in arm-soc.git v3.1
@ 2011-07-01 18:18 ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel, Russell King

Dear subarchitecture maintainers,

Time is running out for the current cycle, so any changes that you
want to see merged in linux-3.1 through the arm-soc tree should be
submitted in form of pull-requests very soon.

We currently have three per-subarchitecture branches (omap, stericsson,
zynq) and there is plenty of room for more.

The rules are roughly:

* We are here to help subarchitecture maintainers coordinate the merging
  into the upstream torvalds/linux-2.6 tree. If we are not helpful, do
  let us know.

* We are also there to prevent crap from getting merged. If you see
  patches in someone else's pull request that shouldn't be there,
  let us know, too.

* If you don't hear back from anyone within a few days, send a friendly
  reminder.

* If you currently merge your patches upstream through RMK's tree,
  you can keep doing so.

* All patches need to have been reviewed properly and are considered
  ready for the next merge window.

* Once a patch gets into arm-soc, it stays in and you have to submit
  follow-up patches for fixing bugs, not send replacement patches.

* If there is a serious problem with a patch that was already merged,
  it will get reverted. If there is a serious problem with an entire
  branch, it will not make it in the merge window unless the problems
  are addressed.

* Group patch series by intention, e.g
   * bug fixes
   * cleanups and simplifications
   * conversion to device tree
   * support for new features
  Don't worry if a pull request for one branch only has a single commit.
  We can easily group it with similar branches when submitting onward.

* There is a single master branch that contains a merge of all the
  other branches that are intended for the next merge window. This
  branch is not yet part of linux-next, but will be. Before sending
  a pull request, check if your branch merges with the master, and
  mention any conflicts that when asking for a pull.
  Small conflicts are ok, any serious conflicts need to be deal with
  case-by case.

* Do not base code on arm-soc.git/master! All pull requests should be
  relative to an -rc release in torvalds/linux-2.6.git when possible.
  If you have dependencies on another branch, they need to be
  mentioned in the pull request, so we can base it on top of that
  branch, and wait for it to get merged upstream before asking Linus
  to pull yours.

* Cleanups across multiple subarchitectures are ok, and should go into
  one branch for the entire work.

* Bug fixes should be audited to see if they apply to stable kernels.
  If you have a bug that should be applied on older kernel versions,
  add 'Cc: stable@kernel.org' to the changelog.

* New subarchitectures need to use the flattened device tree and contain
  no board specific files any more.

* New board support without using flattened device tree is ok in some
  cases, especially when it's clear that you are making an effort to
  avoid this in the future. Adding a lot of features and board code
  is not ok when you don't also work on cleaning up the mess we already
  have.

* Anything that moves code out of arch/arm is very welcome in general,
  including:
  * removal of nonworking and obsolete code that nobody will miss
  * moving device drivers into their respective subsystems
  * consolidation of identical code across boards and/or subarchitectures

* You can send pull requests at any time, there is no specific merge
  window for the arm-soc tree. If you send them just before Linus
  opens his merge window, or during that merge window, your patches will
  probably have to wait for another release. This obviously depends
  on the complexity and kind of patch. Simple bug fixes get always
  forwarded for the current kernel, cleanups for the coming merge window,
  and new features might need a bit extra time.

I have put everyone listed as a maintainer for arch/arm/mach-*/ on bcc
in this mail to let you know about it without having an endless cc list.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

  add 'Cc: stable at kernel.org' to the changelog.

[...]

* RE: Please submit platform trees for inclusion in arm-soc.git v3.1
@ 2011-07-06  9:30   ` Nori, Sekhar
From: Nori, Sekhar @ 2011-07-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, linux-arm-kernel
  Cc: Thomas Gleixner, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel, Russell King

Hi Arnd,

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 23:48:14, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> * If you currently merge your patches upstream through RMK's tree,
>   you can keep doing so.

We currently send DaVinci patches upstream through Russell.
This makes it look like the change applies only to those
maintainers who were sending patches to Linus directly.

I want to make sure I read this correctly and should continue
sending patches upstream through Russell?

Thanks,
Sekhar

From: Nori, Sekhar @ 2011-07-06  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-07-06 10:06   ` Barry Song
From: Barry Song @ 2011-07-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, Nicolas Pitre, Thomas Gleixner, linux-kernel,
	Russell King, workgroup.linux

Hi Arnd,

2011/7/2 Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>:
> Dear subarchitecture maintainers,
>
> Time is running out for the current cycle, so any changes that you
> want to see merged in linux-3.1 through the arm-soc tree should be
> submitted in form of pull-requests very soon.

i hope we can catch this cycle to see CSR platform merged in 3.1.
after you review and agree on v3 patch i sent today, i will send you a
pull request againest Linus' tree.

> [...]
>  including:
>  * removal of nonworking and obsolete code that nobody will miss
>  * moving device drivers into their respective subsystems
>  * consolidation of identical code across boards and/or subarchitectures
>
> * You can send pull requests at any time, there is no specific merge
>  window for the arm-soc tree. If you send them just before Linus
>  opens his merge window, or during that merge window, your patches will
>  probably have to wait for another release. This obviously depends
>  on the complexity and kind of patch. Simple bug fixes get always
>  forwarded for the current kernel, cleanups for the coming merge window,
>  and new features might need a bit extra time.
>
> I have put everyone listed as a maintainer for arch/arm/mach-*/ on bcc
> in this mail to let you know about it without having an endless cc list.

Thanks
Barry

From: Barry Song @ 2011-07-06 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

> [...]

> ?including:
> ?* removal of nonworking and obsolete code that nobody will miss
> ?* moving device drivers into their respective subsystems
> ?* consolidation of identical code across boards and/or subarchitectures
>
> * You can send pull requests at any time, there is no specific merge
> ?window for the arm-soc tree. If you send them just before Linus
> ?opens his merge window, or during that merge window, your patches will
> ?probably have to wait for another release. This obviously depends
> ?on the complexity and kind of patch. Simple bug fixes get always
> ?forwarded for the current kernel, cleanups for the coming merge window,
> ?and new features might need a bit extra time.
>
> I have put everyone listed as a maintainer for arch/arm/mach-*/ on bcc
> in this mail to let you know about it without having an endless cc list.

Thanks
Barry

* Re: Please submit platform trees for inclusion in arm-soc.git v3.1
@ 2011-07-06 11:12     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-06 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nori, Sekhar
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, Thomas Gleixner, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel,
	Russell King

On Wednesday 06 July 2011, Nori, Sekhar wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 23:48:14, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> > * If you currently merge your patches upstream through RMK's tree,
> >   you can keep doing so.
>
> We currently send DaVinci patches upstream through Russell.
> This makes it look like the change applies only to those
> maintainers who were sending patches to Linus directly.
>
> I want to make sure I read this correctly and should continue
> sending patches upstream through Russell?

You are welcome to submit patches to the arm-soc tree instead of
Russell's if you prefer to do so, either way is fine with me
at least.

The arm-soc tree was introduced mostly to reorganize the upstream
merge process for those platforms that directly send patches to
Linus, but we can also do it for everyone else.

We probably still need to try out a few things and see how it goes.
Russell also has write access to the arm-soc tree, so one of the
possible models is that you send the patches to him, but he adds
them to the arm-soc tree rather than the arm-linux one.

Russell, do you have a preference? If you want to stop merging
subarch trees into linux-arm.git, we can do that in arm-soc.git.
The idea behind my suggestion to keep using your tree was to not
change too many things at once, and we can always revisit this
question.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-06 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-07-08 16:03   ` Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2011-07-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, Thomas Gleixner, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel,
	Russell King

Hi Arnd,

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> writes:

> Time is running out for the current cycle, so any changes that you
> want to see merged in linux-3.1 through the arm-soc tree should be
> submitted in form of pull-requests very soon.

[...]

It looks like your "remove rmk/for-next" commit may not have been
totally complete.

Trying to merge your master branch and Russell's current for-next branch
still results in conflicts in files that should only be touched in
Russell's branch (specifically, these seem related to changes in
Russell's 'suspend' branch that is included in his 'for-next' branch.)

Kevin

$ git checkout -b tmp/test v3.0-rc6
Switched to a new branch 'tmp/test'

$ git merge rmk/for-next
Updating fe0d422..b4584ba
Fast-forward
 Documentation/arm/SH-Mobile/zboot-rom-sdhi.txt    |   42 ++
 Documentation/arm/kernel_user_helpers.txt         |  267 +++++++++++
 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/pmu.txt     |   21 +
 MAINTAINERS                                       |   10 +
 arch/arm/Kconfig                                  |   37 ++-
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile                 |   10 +-
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/head-shmobile.S          |   12 +-
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/mmcif-sh7372.c           |    2 +-
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-sh7372.c            |   95 ++++
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-shmobile.c          |  449 ++++++++++++++++++
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-shmobile.h          |   11 +
 arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds.in           |   12 +-
 arch/arm/common/dmabounce.c                       |  193 ++++-----
 arch/arm/common/it8152.c                          |   16 +-
 arch/arm/common/sa1111.c                          |   60 ++--
 arch/arm/include/asm/dma-mapping.h                |   56 +--
 arch/arm/include/asm/entry-macro-multi.S          |   14 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/mach/map.h                   |    2 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/memory.h                     |    7 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/pgalloc.h                    |    2 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/pgtable.h                    |   23 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/pmu.h                        |    2 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/proc-fns.h                   |   14 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/scatterlist.h                |    4 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/setup.h                      |    2 +-
 arch/arm/include/asm/suspend.h                    |   22 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/tcm.h                        |    2 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/tlb.h                        |    1 +
 arch/arm/kernel/entry-armv.S                      |  523 ++++++++-------------
 arch/arm/kernel/entry-header.S                    |   19 -
 arch/arm/kernel/hw_breakpoint.c                   |   12 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/perf_event.c                      |   10 +-
 arch/arm/kernel/pmu.c                             |   87 +++-
 arch/arm/kernel/setup.c                           |  101 ++--
 arch/arm/kernel/sleep.S                           |   84 ++--
 arch/arm/kernel/smp_scu.c                         |    2 +
 arch/arm/kernel/tcm.c                             |   68 +++-
 arch/arm/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S                     |  126 +++---
 arch/arm/mach-bcmring/include/mach/entry-macro.S  |    4 -
 arch/arm/mach-davinci/include/mach/entry-macro.S  |    3 -
 arch/arm/mach-ep93xx/core.c                       |    4 +-
 arch/arm/mach-exynos4/pm.c                        |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-exynos4/sleep.S                     |   22 -
 arch/arm/mach-h720x/include/mach/entry-macro.S    |    3 -
 arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/common-pci.c                 |   12 +-
 arch/arm/mach-lpc32xx/include/mach/entry-macro.S  |    4 -
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/control.c                     |    7 +-
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/control.h                     |    6 +-
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/include/mach/entry-macro.S    |    3 -
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm.h                          |   22 +-
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm34xx.c                      |   86 ++--
 arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep34xx.S                   |  518 ++++++++-------------
 arch/arm/mach-pnx4008/include/mach/entry-macro.S  |    5 -
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/include/mach/pm.h               |    4 +-
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/palmz72.c                       |    1 +
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/pm.c                            |    1 -
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa25x.c                        |    3 +-
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa27x.c                        |   11 +-
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa3xx.c                        |   14 +-
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/sleep.S                         |   55 +--
 arch/arm/mach-pxa/zeus.c                          |    3 +-
 arch/arm/mach-realview/Kconfig                    |    1 +
 arch/arm/mach-s3c2412/pm.c                        |    6 +-
 arch/arm/mach-s3c2416/pm.c                        |    6 +-
 arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/pm.c                        |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/sleep.S                     |   23 -
 arch/arm/mach-s5pv210/pm.c                        |    2 +-
 arch/arm/mach-s5pv210/sleep.S                     |   21 -
 arch/arm/mach-sa1100/pm.c                         |    7 +-
 arch/arm/mach-sa1100/sleep.S                      |   19 +-
 arch/arm/mach-shark/include/mach/entry-macro.S    |   10 +-
 arch/arm/mach-shmobile/include/mach/sdhi-sh7372.h |   21 +
 arch/arm/mach-shmobile/include/mach/sdhi.h        |   16 +
 arch/arm/mach-vt8500/irq.c                        |   21 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev4.S                           |   17 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev4t.S                          |   17 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev5t.S                          |   19 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev5tj.S                         |   25 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev6.S                           |   25 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-ev7.S                           |   25 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-lv4t.S                          |  141 +++---
 arch/arm/mm/abort-macro.S                         |   34 +-
 arch/arm/mm/abort-nommu.S                         |   10 +-
 arch/arm/mm/alignment.c                           |    3 +
 arch/arm/mm/cache-l2x0.c                          |   19 +-
 arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c                         |  314 +++++++------
 arch/arm/mm/fault.c                               |    4 +
 arch/arm/mm/init.c                                |    8 +-
 arch/arm/mm/mm.h                                  |    2 +
 arch/arm/mm/mmu.c                                 |   29 +-
 arch/arm/mm/nommu.c                               |    4 +
 arch/arm/mm/pabort-legacy.S                       |   10 +-
 arch/arm/mm/pabort-v6.S                           |   10 +-
 arch/arm/mm/pabort-v7.S                           |   11 +-
 arch/arm/mm/proc-arm6_7.S                         |   90 ++--
 arch/arm/mm/proc-sa1100.S                         |    4 +-
 arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach/entry-macro.S      |    4 -
 arch/arm/plat-omap/sram.c                         |   15 +-
 arch/arm/plat-s3c24xx/sleep.S                     |   25 -
 arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/pm.h           |    5 +-
 arch/arm/plat-samsung/pm.c                        |   11 +-
 drivers/mmc/host/mmci.c                           |    2 +
 drivers/mmc/host/mmci.h                           |    5 +-
 create mode 100644 Documentation/arm/SH-Mobile/zboot-rom-sdhi.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/arm/kernel_user_helpers.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/pmu.txt
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-sh7372.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-shmobile.c
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/boot/compressed/sdhi-shmobile.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/include/asm/suspend.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-shmobile/include/mach/sdhi-sh7372.h
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-shmobile/include/mach/sdhi.h

$ git merge arm-soc/master
Auto-merging arch/arm/Kconfig
Auto-merging arch/arm/include/asm/entry-macro-multi.S
CONFLICT (delete/modify): arch/arm/include/asm/suspend.h deleted in arm-soc/master and modified in HEAD. Version HEAD of arch/arm/include/asm/suspend.h left in tree.
Auto-merging arch/arm/kernel/setup.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/kernel/sleep.S
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/kernel/sleep.S
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-exynos4/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-exynos4/pm.c
Removing arch/arm/mach-mxs/gpio.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm34xx.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-omap2/pm34xx.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep34xx.S
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep34xx.S
Removing arch/arm/mach-omap2/timer-gp.c
Removing arch/arm/mach-omap2/timer-gp.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-pxa/include/mach/pm.h
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-pxa/include/mach/pm.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa3xx.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-pxa/pxa3xx.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-s3c2412/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-s3c2412/pm.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-s3c2416/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-s3c2416/pm.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-s3c64xx/pm.c
Auto-merging arch/arm/mach-sa1100/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/mach-sa1100/pm.c
Removing arch/arm/plat-mxc/include/mach/iomux.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/pm.h
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/plat-samsung/include/plat/pm.h
Auto-merging arch/arm/plat-samsung/pm.c
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in arch/arm/plat-samsung/pm.c
Auto-merging drivers/gpio/gpio-mxc.c
Auto-merging drivers/gpio/gpio-mxs.c
warning: inexact rename detection was skipped due to too many files.
warning: you may want to set your merge.renamelimit variable to at least 3185 and retry the command.
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.

From: Kevin Hilman @ 2011-07-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-07-11 21:37     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Hilman
  Cc: linux-arm-kernel, Thomas Gleixner, Nicolas Pitre, linux-kernel,
	Russell King

On Friday 08 July 2011, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> > Time is running out for the current cycle, so any changes that you
> > want to see merged in linux-3.1 through the arm-soc tree should be
> > submitted in form of pull-requests very soon.
>
> [...]
>
> It looks like your "remove rmk/for-next" commit may not have been
> totally complete.
>
> Trying to merge your master branch and Russell's current for-next branch
> still results in conflicts in files that should only be touched in
> Russell's branch (specifically, these seem related to changes in
> Russell's 'suspend' branch that is included in his 'for-next' branch.)

Yes, that's my fault for not fixing this up correctly after initially
doing the incorrect pull.

I guess I'll throw away the current master branch and generate a new
one. After discussing this with Russell, I think it's best to treat
the master branch as temporary anyway unless Nicolas or Thomas come up
with a good reason against doing this.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-11 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-07-11 22:17       ` Nicolas Pitre
From: Nicolas Pitre @ 2011-07-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Russell King, Thomas Gleixner, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm-kernel

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Friday 08 July 2011, Kevin Hilman wrote:
> > > Time is running out for the current cycle, so any changes that you
> > > want to see merged in linux-3.1 through the arm-soc tree should be
> > > submitted in form of pull-requests very soon.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > It looks like your "remove rmk/for-next" commit may not have been
> > totally complete.
> >
> > Trying to merge your master branch and Russell's current for-next branch
> > still results in conflicts in files that should only be touched in
> > Russell's branch (specifically, these seem related to changes in
> > Russell's 'suspend' branch that is included in his 'for-next' branch.)
>
> Yes, that's my fault for not fixing this up correctly after initially
> doing the incorrect pull.
>
> I guess I'll throw away the current master branch and generate a new
> one. After discussing this with Russell, I think it's best to treat
> the master branch as temporary anyway unless Nicolas or Thomas come up
> with a good reason against doing this.

No objections.  However, to avoid confusion, I'd suggest getting rid of
the branch called "master" entirely and call it something else.

Nicolas

From: Nicolas Pitre @ 2011-07-11 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-07-12 12:55         ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Pitre
  Cc: Kevin Hilman, Russell King, Thomas Gleixner, linux-kernel,
	linux-arm-kernel

On Tuesday 12 July 2011, Nicolas Pitre wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It looks like your "remove rmk/for-next" commit may not have been
> > > totally complete.
> > >
> > > Trying to merge your master branch and Russell's current for-next branch
> > > still results in conflicts in files that should only be touched in
> > > Russell's branch (specifically, these seem related to changes in
> > > Russell's 'suspend' branch that is included in his 'for-next' branch.)
> >
> > Yes, that's my fault for not fixing this up correctly after initially
> > doing the incorrect pull.
> >
> > I guess I'll throw away the current master branch and generate a new
> > one. After discussing this with Russell, I think it's best to treat
> > the master branch as temporary anyway unless Nicolas or Thomas come up
> > with a good reason against doing this.
>
> No objections.  However, to avoid confusion, I'd suggest getting rid of
> the branch called "master" entirely and call it something else.

Yes, makes sense.

I'll call it 'for-next' then, following the same scheme that Russell uses.
Hopefully people will take it as a hint that it's getting rebased.

	Arnd

From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2011-07-12 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel