* systematic way to study Xen from development side
@ 2011-07-10  7:00 Tapas Mishra
From: Tapas Mishra @ 2011-07-10  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen List

Hi,

I am trying to understand xen from the perspective of a developer.I
have written basic kernel module and char driver.
After this I have read and understood various device drivers given in
Orielly Greg Kroah Hartman's ,Linux Device Drivers book.
I was looking at following tree

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/xen/stable-2.6.32.x;hb=refs/heads/xen/stable-2.6.32.x

and was browsing through main.c,
I do not think that merely browsing the code I would be able to understand it.
Is there a systematic way for the same, i.e. like there was device
drivers book and ,Linux Kernel Development book of Robert Love,
from which I understood many many concepts.What is the standard
approach to understand the code when it comes to development of Xen
when
some one wants to be well versed with Xen development?

--
------------------------------
Tapas

* Re: systematic way to study Xen from development side
@ 2011-07-12 18:30 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-07-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tapas Mishra; +Cc: Xen List

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 12:30:29PM +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand xen from the perspective of a developer.I
> have written basic kernel module and char driver.

Ok.
> After this I have read and understood various device drivers given in
> Orielly Greg Kroah Hartman's ,Linux Device Drivers book.
> I was looking at following tree
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/xen/stable-2.6.32.x;hb=refs/heads/xen/stable-2.6.32.x
>
> and was browsing through main.c,
> I do not think that merely browsing the code I would be able to understand it.
> Is there a systematic way for the same, i.e. like there was device
> drivers book and ,Linux Kernel Development book of Robert Love,
> from which I understood many many concepts.What is the standard
> approach to understand the code when it comes to development of Xen
> when
> some one wants to be well versed with Xen development?

Well, I would recommend looking at it from the bootup process
(enlighten.c).. But that might be a bit overwhelming at first.

Did you look at the 'Definite Guide to the Xen hypervisor'? It gives a
explanation of how Xen functions and what are the minium requirements
for a kernel to boot under Xen.

* Re: systematic way to study Xen from development side
@ 2011-07-13  4:08   ` Tapas Mishra
From: Tapas Mishra @ 2011-07-13  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Xen List