* [Buildroot] how BR download the linux kernel now
@ 2011-07-12 20:26 raymond zhao
From: raymond zhao @ 2011-07-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,
I checked out the latest version of the buildroot, and noticed that
the linux.mk was changed a lot. Thomas checked in a version with log
message "linux: convert to the GENTARGETS infrastructure". And, from
there, I am confused. How the BR download the linux kernel now? I
mean, before this version, there are download, extraction and patch.
But they are removed and there is only LINUX_DOWNLOAD_PATCHES in the
new version. Where is the script for BR to download the kernel source
code now?

thanks,

Raymond

* [Buildroot] how BR download the linux kernel now
@ 2011-07-13 13:31 raymond zhao
From: raymond zhao @ 2011-07-13 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

>> The linux kernel is a special "package". Lots of embedded projects

>> (if not all of them) will start from a certain version of the kernel

>> and hack the kernel from there, such as add device drivers etc. Then,

>> put the source code into a local git server to do version control.

>> Some people argued to use original tarball plus the patch, but it

>> makes the development procedure very painful. In the old approach, it

>> is very easy to hack the linux.mk to checkout the kernel source code

>> directly into the output directory. But, in the new one. Looks it
>
>> becomes more complex. The kernel is very big. Check out with the git,
>
>> archive it to a tarball, and then extract it to the output directory
>
>> for building will waste lots of time. Is there a official solution
>
>> (or suggestion) for my situation?
>
>Yes, I am currently working on extending the package infrastructure so
>
>that any package (not only the Linux kernel, but any package) can be
>
>sourced from an existing directory, instead of being downloaded through
>
>git/svn/http.
>
>I have already published preliminary versions of this work (see "[RFC]
>
>Override source directories", posted May, 18th 2011), and I intend to
>
>continue. The basic mechanism is working, I still have issues
>
>implementing "make source" and "make external-deps" with this mechanism.
>
>It'd be really nice if you could have a look at what I did to see if it
>
>would solve your use case as well.

That's great. I will definitely check it. If we solved this problem. I
believe BR will be #1 choice for most embedded linux projects.

thanks,
raymond