* RE: How to restore snaspshot in nilfs?
       [not found]   ` <BLU152-W1990E7DAA23E5566FC3925CE350-MsuGFMq8XAE@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-07-27 21:19     ` ffffd sssd
       [not found]       ` <BLU152-W567E135957B79607CC415ECE350-MsuGFMq8XAE@public.gmane.org>
From: ffffd sssd @ 2011-07-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Given several checkpoints, from 1 to 14, and those corresponding to 7, 10, 11 and 14 are snapshots, how can I revert the entire filesystem to the stage 10, for example, discarding all the newer? The only way I've found is to mount the snapshot 10 separately, copy to another disk the contents, format the nilfs and copy back again from the temporal disk to the nilfs...

@ 2011-07-28  1:25         ` Ryusuke Konishi
       [not found]           ` <20110728.102536.53123850.ryusuke-sG5X7nlA6pw@public.gmane.org>
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2011-07-28  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notstop-EMRzualFZlQ; +Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,
On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:19:34 +0200, ffffd sssd wrote:
> Given several checkpoints, from 1 to 14, and those corresponding to
> 7, 10, 11 and 14 are snapshots, how can I revert the entire
> filesystem to the stage 10, for example, discarding all the newer?
> The only way I've found is to mount the snapshot 10 separately, copy
> to another disk the contents, format the nilfs and copy back again
> from the temporal disk to the nilfs...

Nilfs does not have a native revert function yet.  So, you need to
synchronize the current mount point with a snapshot as follows:

 # mkdir /nilfs /snap
 # mount -t nilfs2 /dev/xxx /nilfs
 # mount -t nilfs2 -o ro,cp=10 /dev/xxx /snap

 # rsync -axv --delete /snap/ /nilfs/

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi

* atime
       [not found]           ` <20110728.102536.53123850.ryusuke-sG5X7nlA6pw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-08-01  5:53             ` David Sariel
       [not found]               ` <4E363F5D.7060302-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: David Sariel @ 2011-08-01  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi
What was the purpose of reserving the inode for atime file (nilfs2_fs.h)
#define NILFS_ATIME_INO        7    /* Atime file (reserved) */
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that updating atime on the disk
result in creating more chekpoints. So spesial file in predetermined
place can store
atime of all files in the system and spare the need of checkpointings of
many segments.
Also can you please share your thoughts about the atime implementation
on nilfs?
Thank you
David

* Re: atime
       [not found]               ` <4E363F5D.7060302-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-08-02  3:24                 ` Ryusuke Konishi
From: Ryusuke Konishi @ 2011-08-02  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidsa-BMswWb+h+80+JF/nGntIXQ, davidsa.openu-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: linux-nilfs-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Hi,
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 08:53:33 +0300, David Sariel wrote:
> Hi
> What was the purpose of reserving the inode for atime file (nilfs2_fs.h)
> #define NILFS_ATIME_INO        7    /* Atime file (reserved) */

This declaration is reserved for an additional metadata file keeping
atime information on disk.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that updating atime on the disk
> result in creating more chekpoints. So spesial file in predetermined
> place can store
> atime of all files in the system and spare the need of checkpointings of
> many segments.

Yes, if we implement the atime feature and enable it, nilfs will
create checkpoints every time after files are read or directories are
looked up.  It may not be a problem because recent kernels have
``relatime'' which is a nice workaroud of the atime problem.

Anyway, we would turn off this feature by default even if we add it.

> Also can you please share your thoughts about the atime implementation
> on nilfs?

The atime file would become an array of atime timestamps consisting of
a 64-bit integer number of seconds plus 32 bits of nano-seconds.  The
reason why we reserved a separate metadata file is to minimize the
number of blocks written back by the atime updates.

Or, we may simply add these fields in the extended part of inode; we
have an idea to extend inode size to make other enhancements possible.
Not yet decided, after all.

Regards,
Ryusuke Konishi