From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>,
	Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com>,
	Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>,
	"linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>
Subject: Re: next-200110804 ARM build break (cpuidle_call_idle)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:21:13 +0200	[thread overview]

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> [...] In fact, I'm seriously considering a rather draconian measure
> for next merge window: I'll fetch the -next tree when I open the
> merge window, and if I get anything but trivial fixes that don't
> show up in that "next tree at the point of merge window open", I'll
> just ignore that pull request. Because clearly people are just not
> being careful enough.

That would be really nice - in hindsight, had you done that in this
cycle it would have solved about 80% of the merge window bugs i ran
into!

I have trouble getting my own fixes out on time because -git is so
untestable at the moment and i need to test on -git now that our new
bits are upstream.

 [ In fact i'd even argue that the snapshot should be a couple of
   days _before_ the merge window opening. The trivial annoyances and
   serious showstoppers need a couple of days of latency to get
   discovered in linux-next and there's always a late rush of getting
   stuff into linux-next just before the final release. linux-next
   also has weekend latency which can add up to 3 days to the
   normally 2-3 days latency of discovering showstoppers. ]

People can still try to tempt you with late stuff, with an [RFC GIT
PULL] tag, clearly and visibly declaring that it's a workflow
exception and that it's fully discretional on your side with no
maintenance problems if it's skipped to the next merge window.

Thanks,

	Ingo