From: Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au>
To: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>, SELinux <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>
Cc: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: checkpolicy is broken (which is not)
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 01:30:49 +1000	[thread overview]

On Sat, 6 Aug 2011, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com> wrote:
> > So are you saying that you are fine with a newer checkpolicy not
> > accepting previously valid policy modules?  Such that someone who
> > wants to upgrade checkpolicy in an existing distribution release
> > (e.g. RHEL6) can only do so if they also upgrade/modify their
> > policy?
>
> This is a theoretical about something we would never do.  RHEL Releases
> are stable and we don't update tool chains, just bug fix.  Maybe third
> parties would and then it would be up 2 them to fix their policies.

For Debian I want to provide forwards and backwards compatibility as much as
possible.  Even in situations where I won't support a combination of policy
and user-space I would like it to not be too difficult for people who want to
do different things (as some RHEL and CentOS users are apparently doing).

I think that the ideal situation for a Debian upgrade (which can and usually
is done in stages unlike a RHEL upgrade) is to support either the old policy
with new user-space or the new policy with the old user-space.  Ideally this
would also include the ability to rebuild the policy packages from source.

In regard to the "role httpd_t types httpd_t;" corner case, aren't there a
heap of other corner cases where someone can accidentally write policy that
doesn't do what they expect?

What about the macros for things like r_file_perms?  How long are we going to
keep that around?  We've already had a couple of releases with the new
version.