From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>
To: Stephen Smalley <sds@tycho.nsa.gov>
Cc: qingtao.cao@windriver.com, Eric Paris <eparis@redhat.com>,
	"Christopher J. PeBenito" <cpebenito@tresys.com>,
	SELinux <selinux@tycho.nsa.gov>
Subject: Re: checkpolicy is broken (which is not)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 08:59:59 -0400	[thread overview]

On 08/05/2011 08:56 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 12:19 +0800, Harry Ciao wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> Let me explain more about the background story.
>>
>> The existing type rule could declare a type, and optionally
>> associate it with a list of type attributes. So I invented this
>> "role <regular role> attribute <a list of role attributes>" rule
>> in the same manner to do the similar things for roles, since I
>> figure this would make refpolicy rules similar and easy to remember
>> and use.
>>
>> Now that the above new role-attr rule takes care of declaring
>> roles, this duty has to be removed from role-type rule in order to
>> avoid ambiguity, and the role-type rule would be used to only
>> associate types with roles, which only requires TWO lines of code
>> as in 3cbc9727, since mostly used roles such as system_r have been
>> declared in kernel.te(in order to avoid some build failure).
>>
>> In a word, we could preserve the behavior of role-type rule, but
>> this would introduce discrepancy between that of role-attr rule
>> and type-attr rule, considering that getting used to the new
>> toolchain only requires an easy cherry-pick of only 2 lines of
>> change, would it be that desirable for us to do so?
>
> I don't think we should introduce an incompatible policy language
> change without very strong reasons.  It is fine to introduce new
> constructs like your role...attribute construct, but we shouldn't
> change the meaning of role...type statements and thereby render
> invalid policies that used to be valid.

Well I will say that I thought the old construct did not make sense,
since we have to declare most objects in the lanquage except for roles.

This will help to find problems in the policy also like people doing

role httpd_t types httpd_t;

Which I have seen in the past.

I just got the new toolchain to work with Fedora policy.