* Errors mounting xfs file system
@ 2011-08-06 10:01 Warrick Howieson
From: Warrick Howieson @ 2011-08-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Hi:

I have a couple of disks out of a NAS unit that I cannot mount.

They were in a Thecus N2200 NAS

When I look at the in gParted, they happily show up as xfs disks, but when I
rty to mount them, Iget a hole bunch of errors.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I can mount these disks to
get the data off them

root@sysresccd /mnt % man xfs_repair
root@sysresccd /mnt % xfs_repair -v /dev/sdb2
xfs_repair: cannot open /dev/sdb2: Device or resource busy
root@sysresccd /mnt % man xfs_repair
root@sysresccd /mnt %
root@sysresccd /mnt % xfs_repair -d /dev/sdb2
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
 ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
 be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
 re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
 the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
 Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
 of the filesystem before doing this.
 root@sysresccd /mnt % mount -t xfs /dev/sdb2 /nas
 mount: /dev/sdb2 already mounted or /nas busy
 root@sysresccd /mnt % xfs_repair -L /dev/sdb2
 xfs_repair: cannot open /dev/sdb2: Device or resource busy

* Re: Errors mounting xfs file system
@ 2011-08-06 10:35 ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2011-08-06 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warrick Howieson; +Cc: xfs

On Sat, Aug 06, 2011 at 08:01:42PM +1000, Warrick Howieson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a couple of disks out of a NAS unit that I cannot mount.
>
> They were in a Thecus N2200 NAS
>
> When I look at the in gParted, they happily show up as xfs disks, but when I
> rty to mount them, Iget a hole bunch of errors.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I can mount these disks to
> get the data off them
>

> root@sysresccd /mnt % man xfs_repair
> root@sysresccd /mnt % xfs_repair -v /dev/sdb2
> xfs_repair: cannot open /dev/sdb2: Device or resource busy

That usually means the filesystem is mounted. Try unmounting it?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: Errors mounting xfs file system
@ 2011-08-06 15:23 ` Stan Hoeppner
From: Stan Hoeppner @ 2011-08-06 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warrick Howieson; +Cc: xfs

On 8/6/2011 5:01 AM, Warrick Howieson wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a couple of disks out of a NAS unit that I cannot mount.
>
> They were in a Thecus N2200 NAS
>
> When I look at the in gParted, they happily show up as xfs disks, but when I
> rty to mount them, Iget a hole bunch of errors.

Those "hole bunch of errors" may prove useful.  Maybe you could share
them with us.

--
Stan