* [U-Boot] Porting U-Boot to HP TouchPad
@ 2011-08-22  5:11 Graeme Russ
From: Graeme Russ @ 2011-08-22  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello All,

Well it looks like I'm getting my hands on the now defunct HP Touchpad

Any ideas how I could port U-Boot (and ultimately Linux) to it?

Regards,

Graeme

* [U-Boot] Porting U-Boot to HP TouchPad
@ 2011-08-22 23:23 ` Jerry Van Baren
From: Jerry Van Baren @ 2011-08-22 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 08/22/2011 01:11 AM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Well it looks like I'm getting my hands on the now defunct HP
> Touchpad

Lucky!

> Any ideas how I could port U-Boot (and ultimately Linux) to it?

There is a fair amount of talk about installing various flavors of linux
(including Android) on the touchpad, e.g.

<http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html>

> Regards,
> Graeme

Enjoy,
gvb

* [U-Boot] Porting U-Boot to HP TouchPad
@ 2011-08-22 23:27   ` Graeme Russ
From: Graeme Russ @ 2011-08-22 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Jerry,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/22/2011 01:11 AM, Graeme Russ wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Well it looks like I'm getting my hands on the now defunct HP
>> Touchpad
>
> Lucky!
>
>> Any ideas how I could port U-Boot (and ultimately Linux) to it?
>
> There is a fair amount of talk about installing various flavors of linux
> (including Android) on the touchpad, e.g.
>
> <http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html>

An http://opensource.palm.com/3.0.2/index.html lists U-Boot 1.1.2 - don't
these guys know how to keep up ;)

Looks like it should be pretty simple

Regards,

Graeme

* [U-Boot] Porting U-Boot to HP TouchPad
@ 2011-08-23  0:12     ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2011-08-23  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 01:27:41 AM Graeme Russ wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/22/2011 01:11 AM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> Well it looks like I'm getting my hands on the now defunct HP
> >> Touchpad
> >
> > Lucky!
> >
> >> Any ideas how I could port U-Boot (and ultimately Linux) to it?
> >
> > There is a fair amount of talk about installing various flavors of linux
> > (including Android) on the touchpad, e.g.
> >
> > <http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touch
> > pad.html>
>
> An http://opensource.palm.com/3.0.2/index.html lists U-Boot 1.1.2 - don't
> these guys know how to keep up ;)
>
> Looks like it should be pretty simple

With dumping price like that, HP's gonna make (or at least could make) a golden
mine of this.

@ 2011-08-23  8:02     ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2011-08-23  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello.

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 09:27, Graeme Russ wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Jerry Van Baren <gvb.uboot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 08/22/2011 01:11 AM, Graeme Russ wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> Well it looks like I'm getting my hands on the now defunct HP
> >> Touchpad
> >
> > Lucky!
> >
> >> Any ideas how I could port U-Boot (and ultimately Linux) to it?
> >
> > There is a fair amount of talk about installing various flavors of linux
> > (including Android) on the touchpad, e.g.
> >
> > <http://liliputing.com/2011/08/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-an-hp-touchpad.html>
>
> An http://opensource.palm.com/3.0.2/index.html lists U-Boot 1.1.2 - don't
> these guys know how to keep up ;)
>
> Looks like it should be pretty simple

Did you have a look at the patches they provide against 1.1.2? To me
it seems they only use the mkimage tool out of u-boot and not the
bootloader itself. IIRC they had an own bootloader running on the Pre
mobile phone and other devices. Without source available. Not sure if
this changed with the Touchpad.

regards
Stefan Schmidt