* TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 10:01 Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-19 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
The good news is that I have 122mkII to play with, the bad news is that
it doesn't work with the snd_usb_122l driver.

The probe function fails most likely in usb_stream_start(&us122l->sk),

The dmesg output:

status=-2
status=-2
us122l_start error -14
snd-usb-us122l: probe of 1-2:1.1 failed with error -22
usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-us122l

I've set up a windows machine with usbsnoop and captured the init log (I
could upload it somewhere if anybody is interested). I would probably be
able to help fix/write the driver with some guidance. Just now I'm
trying to understand the log...

PS: I've send this mail to alsa-devel a couple of days ago, but without
    being subscribed, does anybody do the screening on incomming mails?

--
Cyril Hrubis

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 11:02 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2011-08-19 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> The good news is that I have 122mkII to play with, the bad news is that
> it doesn't work with the snd_usb_122l driver.

IIRC, the 122mkII implements an entirely different USB protocol
compared to its former version. Can you send your "lsusb -v" output?

Daniel

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 11:37   ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
> > The good news is that I have 122mkII to play with, the bad news is that
> > it doesn't work with the snd_usb_122l driver.
>
> IIRC, the 122mkII implements an entirely different USB protocol
> compared to its former version. Can you send your "lsusb -v" output?

Attached.

As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
any MIDI device to test it.

And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.

--
Cyril Hrubis

[-- Attachment #2: lsusb.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 4013 bytes --]

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0644:8021 TEAC Corp. TASCAM US-122mkII
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0644 TEAC Corp.
  idProduct          0x8021 TASCAM US-122mkII
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 TASCAM
  iProduct                2 US-122 MKII
  iSerial                 3 no serial number
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           72
    bNumInterfaces          2
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              480mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        1
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x004e  1x 78 bytes
        bInterval               1
        bRefresh                0
        bSynchAddress           0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x004e  1x 78 bytes
        bInterval               1
        bRefresh                0
        bSynchAddress           0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0009  1x 9 bytes
        bInterval               4
        bRefresh                0
        bSynchAddress           0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               4
        bRefresh                0
        bSynchAddress           0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 11:46     ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2011-08-19 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>> > The good news is that I have 122mkII to play with, the bad news is that
>> > it doesn't work with the snd_usb_122l driver.
>>
>> IIRC, the 122mkII implements an entirely different USB protocol
>> compared to its former version. Can you send your "lsusb -v" output?
>
> Attached.

Ok, nothing that even remotely looks like class compliant descriptors.

> As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
> MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
> any MIDI device to test it.
>
> And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.

Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.

Daniel

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 11:54       ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-19 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
> > As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
> > MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
> > any MIDI device to test it.
> >
> > And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> > intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.
>
> Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
> Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.

Looks so, anybody could lend a helping hand (or a good HOWTO), I'm still
new to USB, kernel USB subsystem and alsa.

--
Cyril Hrubis

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 12:09         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-19 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!
> > > And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> > > intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.
> >
> > Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
> > Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.
>
> Looks so, anybody could lend a helping hand (or a good HOWTO), I'm still
> new to USB, kernel USB subsystem and alsa.

Should be: "could anybody ... ?"

--
Cyril Hrubis

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 13:06       ` Paul Menzel
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Menzel @ 2011-08-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Am Freitag, den 19.08.2011, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Daniel Mack:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

[…]

> > As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
> > MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
> > any MIDI device to test it.
> >
> > And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> > intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.
>
> Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
> Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.

Is there a chance to talk to the manufacturer or are they known to not
cooperate? Cyril, did you contact their support?

Thanks,

Paul

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-19 13:11         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-19 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi!
> > > As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
> > > MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
> > > any MIDI device to test it.
> > >
> > > And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> > > intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.
> >
> > Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
> > Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.
>
> Is there a chance to talk to the manufacturer or are they known to not
> cooperate? Cyril, did you contact their support?

Hmm, haven't though of this, but that may be worth of try.

--
Cyril Hrubis

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-26 14:52         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-26 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi!
> > > As far as I understand it, there are two endpoints for audio and two for
> > > MIDI. The MIDI part seems to be initalized fine although I don't have
> > > any MIDI device to test it.
> > >
> > > And in the log from windows machine the audio part does some
> > > intialization and then only buch of isochronous transfers.
> >
> > Hmm, so it seems that our only option is really to look at these
> > Windows dumps and reverse-engineer the protocol.
>
> Is there a chance to talk to the manufacturer or are they known to not
> cooperate? Cyril, did you contact their support?

FYI: Wrote to their support more than a week ago and got no response
     so far.

--
Cyril Hrubis

* Re: TASCAM US-122mkII
@ 2011-08-26 16:24         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-08-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi!
But still there are some good news. I've examined the pcb a bit and the
USB interface is ISP1583 connected to the ATmega162 which is driving DA
converters. So at least there is a documentation for the USB chip.  And
there seems to be ISP header for ATmega programming. And the ATmega code
may be ripped of their firmware update binaries. Looks like I'll have
some fun.

--
Cyril Hrubis

* TASCAM US-122MKII
       [not found] <BANLkTikBtN28qNwJf4nuTGL6jEGOw_jo6Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-04-12 14:29 ` Dominic Powell
From: Dominic Powell @ 2011-04-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi.
I've been trying over the last few days to get my US-122MKII working with
Linux Debian. I'm running the latest version of debian amd64. I was just
wondering if you had any suggestions or help so I could get it working.
The output I get from "lsusb -v -d 0644:" (0644 being the US-122MKII) is
http://pastebin.com/B4GZK3Ep.
Just  wondering if it was possible to make this work with a quirk or
something along those lines.
Cheers
Dominic