* ipw2200 antenna selection
@ 2011-08-31  1:51 Dennis Nezic
From: Dennis Nezic @ 2011-08-31  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

My ipw2200 pcie wifi card has 2 antennas... "Main" and "Aux". I think
either the firmware or the kernel/module is overriding my explicit
antenna module setting, after a while.

I mentioned about it a few days ago,
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=131448481319374&w=2
although I'm still seeing the problem (even after physically
disconnecting the Aux antenna/wire. (Even after disconnecting it, I
think it is still able to receive the 30KB/s signal, and I think the
card still switches to it eventually, against my wishes.))

* Re: ipw2200 antenna selection
@ 2011-08-31 13:38 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2011-08-31 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Nezic; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 09:51:35PM -0400, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> My ipw2200 pcie wifi card has 2 antennas... "Main" and "Aux". I think
> either the firmware or the kernel/module is overriding my explicit
> antenna module setting, after a while.
>
> I mentioned about it a few days ago,
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=131448481319374&w=2
> although I'm still seeing the problem (even after physically
> disconnecting the Aux antenna/wire. (Even after disconnecting it, I
> think it is still able to receive the 30KB/s signal, and I think the
> card still switches to it eventually, against my wishes.))

Dennis,

I'm sorry you haven't received any replies until now.  The truth
is that the ipw2200 hardware is a bit old, and has more-or-less
been abandoned by the manufacturer and the original driver authors.
Worse, no hardware specification is available and even if it were
then likely no firmware changes would be possible.

You mentioned that one of your antenna lines is cut.  Is it possible
that you might repair that antenna?

Would it be possible for you to try using a much older kernel?
If you can find a point where the problem you are seeing does not
exist, then we may be able to pinpoint a change that is contributing
to the issue you are seeing.  Beyond that, I'm not sure what else we
might do to help.

Thanks,

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.