* Rebase & Trailing Whitespace
@ 2011-08-31 23:55 Hilco Wijbenga
From: Hilco Wijbenga @ 2011-08-31 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git Users

Hi all,

Please have a look at the output below.

hilco@centaur ~/workspaces/project-next project-next (next $)$ git rebase master
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Applying: ...
Applying: ...
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
No changes -- Patch already applied.
Applying: ...
:
Applying: Use static WAR for SWF files and assets.
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
<stdin>:721810: trailing whitespace.
Canadian word list.
<stdin>:721859: trailing whitespace.
SFX N   y     ication    y
<stdin>:721860: trailing whitespace.
SFX N   0     en         [^ey]
<stdin>:721869: trailing whitespace.
SFX H   0     th         [^y]
<stdin>:721876: trailing whitespace.
SFX G   0     ing        [^e]
warning: squelched 1067 whitespace errors
warning: 1072 lines add whitespace errors.
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
:
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0008 Use static WAR for SWF files and assets.

Note the trailing whitespace warnings. How do I find out which file(s)
generated these warnings? Would it be possible to add the file name
causing the warnings to be output? By default? (Using --verbose
doesn't seem to make any difference where the whitespace warnings are
concerned.)

Furthermore, why didn't I get these or similar warnings when I
committed/pushed that particular commit ("Use static WAR for SWF files
and assets.")? I did just find "[core] whitespace = trailing-space"
which I will add to my .gitconfig, I suppose. So I guess what I really
mean to ask is, why do rebase (and merge?) behave differently from
commit?

Cheers,
Hilco