* submitting patch: specify destination kernel version(s)
@ 2011-09-02 12:16 Torsten Schenk
From: Torsten Schenk @ 2011-09-02 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I'm currently preparing a patch for the kernel, I want it to be included from 3.0 on, but not in versions before. I once got a hint to put

Cc: stable@kernel.org

but that seems not to do the trick. How could it be achieved, that the patch only appears in 3.0 (and later)?

Greets,
Torsten

* Re: submitting patch: specify destination kernel version(s)
@ 2011-09-02 12:50 ` Daniel Mack
From: Daniel Mack @ 2011-09-02 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Schenk; +Cc: Greg KH, alsa-devel

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Torsten Schenk <torsten.schenk@zoho.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently preparing a patch for the kernel, I want it to be included from 3.0 on, but not in versions before. I once got a hint to put
>
> Cc: stable@kernel.org
>
> but that seems not to do the trick. How could it be achieved, that the patch only appears in 3.0 (and later)?

This is not really officially documented, but there seems to be a
general agreement that this line should do what you want:

  Cc: stable@kernel.org [3.0+]

At least, other patches were submitted that way. Greg, is that correct?

Daniel

* Re: submitting patch: specify destination kernel version(s)
@ 2011-09-02 13:57 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2011-09-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Schenk; +Cc: alsa-devel

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 02:16:27PM +0200, Torsten Schenk wrote:

Please fix your mailer to word wrap within paragraphs.

> I'm currently preparing a patch for the kernel, I want it to be included from 3.0 on, but not in versions before. I once got a hint to put

> Cc: stable@kernel.org

> but that seems not to do the trick. How could it be achieved, that the patch only appears in 3.0 (and later)?

What's the actual patch?  Cc stable is the way to get patches picked up
for the stable kernel, if you want to limit the backports putting a note
in the changelog is probably sensible.

* Re: submitting patch: specify destination kernel version(s)
@ 2011-09-02 13:57   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2011-09-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Mack; +Cc: alsa-devel, Torsten Schenk

On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 02:50:36PM +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Torsten Schenk <torsten.schenk@zoho.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently preparing a patch for the kernel, I want it to be included from 3.0 on, but not in versions before. I once got a hint to put
> >
> > Cc: stable@kernel.org
> >
> > but that seems not to do the trick. How could it be achieved, that the patch only appears in 3.0 (and later)?
> >

> This is not really officially documented, but there seems to be a
> general agreement that this line should do what you want:
>
>   Cc: stable@kernel.org [3.0+]
>
> At least, other patches were submitted that way. Greg, is that correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Please see Documentation/stable_kernel_rules.txt for the details.

greg k-h