* V2 API
@ 2011-09-28 14:59 David Goodenough
       [not found] ` <201109281559.45060.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
From: David Goodenough @ 2011-09-28 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-i2c-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

Doing a Google search looking to see if there was userland support
for SMBALERT messages I saw references to the V2 API which last year
was "being developed".  Did this happen, and is it defined anywhere?

David

* Re: V2 API
       [not found] ` <201109281559.45060.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-30 10:34   ` David Goodenough
       [not found]     ` <201109301134.38697.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
From: David Goodenough @ 2011-09-30 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-i2c-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Wednesday 28 Sep 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> Doing a Google search looking to see if there was userland support
> for SMBALERT messages I saw references to the V2 API which last year
> was "being developed".  Did this happen, and is it defined anywhere?
>
> David

I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that the V2 API is
not being worked on or has stalled.  Is there any way using the
existing API for userland code to be notified of an incomming
SMBALERT?

David

* Re: V2 API
       [not found]     ` <201109301134.38697.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-30 11:06       ` Jean Delvare
       [not found]         ` <20110930130645.5ff8576b-R0o5gVi9kd7kN2dkZ6Wm7A@public.gmane.org>
From: Jean Delvare @ 2011-09-30 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Goodenough; +Cc: linux-i2c-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:34:38 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 Sep 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Doing a Google search looking to see if there was userland support
> > for SMBALERT messages I saw references to the V2 API which last year
> > was "being developed".  Did this happen, and is it defined anywhere?
>
> I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that the V2 API is
> not being worked on or has stalled.

I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that "V2 API" is an
awfully vague subject line, so odds are that nobody read your post in
the first place. Try to come up with a better subject line next time.

> Is there any way using the
> existing API for userland code to be notified of an incomming
> SMBALERT?

Not that I know of, and I wasn't even aware that efforts had ever been
ongoing to achieve this.

--
Jean Delvare

* Re: V2 API
       [not found]         ` <20110930130645.5ff8576b-R0o5gVi9kd7kN2dkZ6Wm7A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-30 11:28           ` David Goodenough
       [not found]             ` <201109301228.07248.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
From: David Goodenough @ 2011-09-30 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-i2c-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Friday 30 Sep 2011, Jean Delvare wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:34:38 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 Sep 2011, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > Doing a Google search looking to see if there was userland support
> > > for SMBALERT messages I saw references to the V2 API which last year
> > > was "being developed".  Did this happen, and is it defined anywhere?
> >
> > I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that the V2 API is
> > not being worked on or has stalled.
>
> I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that "V2 API" is an
> awfully vague subject line, so odds are that nobody read your post in
> the first place. Try to come up with a better subject line next time.
It was the only name I found for any effort to address this problem.
And that was from a message which I think was on this mailing list about
a year ago.

> > Is there any way using the
> > existing API for userland code to be notified of an incomming
> > SMBALERT?
>
> Not that I know of, and I wasn't even aware that efforts had ever been
> ongoing to achieve this.
So I take it that the only way to do this would be to write a kernel
driver?

David

* Re: V2 API
       [not found]             ` <201109301228.07248.david.goodenough-hd8OpYRHSlec/75gGNOK3g@public.gmane.org>
@ 2011-09-30 12:13               ` Jean Delvare
From: Jean Delvare @ 2011-09-30 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Goodenough; +Cc: linux-i2c-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:28:06 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Friday 30 Sep 2011, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > >
> > > I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that the V2 API is
> > > not being worked on or has stalled.
> >
> > I take it from the fact that no-one has replied, that "V2 API" is an
> > awfully vague subject line, so odds are that nobody read your post in
> > the first place. Try to come up with a better subject line next time.
> It was the only name I found for any effort to address this problem.

And...? You couldn't come up with a subject line at least mentioning
"SMBus" and/or "alert"?

> And that was from a message which I think was on this mailing list about
> a year ago.
> >
> > > Is there any way using the
> > > existing API for userland code to be notified of an incomming
> > > SMBALERT?
> >
> > Not that I know of, and I wasn't even aware that efforts had ever been
> > ongoing to achieve this.
> So I take it that the only way to do this would be to write a kernel
> driver?

At the moment, yes. It would technically be possible to do it in
user-space, I presume, by extending the i2c-dev driver to register a
proper driver with alert callback. But this would require a significant
redesign of the i2c-dev driver, which I am not up to for the time
being. An alternative would be a simple sysfs attribute in the i2c
adapter's directory in the device tree, which user-space could poll
until an event triggers. I don't know what the plan was.

--
Jean Delvare