* HYBRID: (PV in HVM) update
@ 2011-08-18 22:54 Mukesh Rathor
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2011-08-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel

JFYI... So I had a third type is_hybrid in my prototype, that I thought
I could get rid of, and hide things under is_hvm check. But that just
touches too much code, and things get ugly a bit all over.

It seems I could just mark the guest PV if not EPT and using PV paging,
and mark it HVM if EPT enabled to keep changes minimum, and just
check for hybrid where needed (so add is_hybrid back in). Trying that
now....

thanks
Mukesh

* Re: HYBRID: (PV in HVM) update
@ 2011-10-20 23:17 ` Mukesh Rathor
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mukesh Rathor @ 2011-10-20 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Keir, Xen-devel, Fraser, Ian Campbell

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:54:14 -0700
Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@oracle.com> wrote:

> JFYI... So I had a third type is_hybrid in my prototype, that I
> thought I could get rid of, and hide things under is_hvm check. But
> that just touches too much code, and things get ugly a bit all over.
>
> It seems I could just mark the guest PV if not EPT and using PV
> paging, and mark it HVM if EPT enabled to keep changes minimum, and
> just check for hybrid where needed (so add is_hybrid back in). Trying
> that now....
>
> thanks
> Mukesh

YEAY guys!!! I now have PV in HVM guest running with EPT!
I'll clean up the code (tons of debug stuff right now), and post
it for anyone to look at.

Next and final frontier after that, running it as dom0.

thanks,
mukesh

* Re: HYBRID: (PV in HVM) update
@ 2011-10-20 23:43   ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2011-10-20 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Xen-devel, Fraser, Keir, Ian Campbell

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 04:17:09PM -0700, Mukesh Rathor wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:54:14 -0700
> Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > JFYI... So I had a third type is_hybrid in my prototype, that I
> > thought I could get rid of, and hide things under is_hvm check. But
> > that just touches too much code, and things get ugly a bit all over.
> >
> > It seems I could just mark the guest PV if not EPT and using PV
> > paging, and mark it HVM if EPT enabled to keep changes minimum, and
> > just check for hybrid where needed (so add is_hybrid back in). Trying
> > that now....
> >
> > thanks
> > Mukesh
> >

> YEAY guys!!! I now have PV in HVM guest running with EPT!
> I'll clean up the code (tons of debug stuff right now), and post
> it for anyone to look at.

Awesome!!

> Next and final frontier after that, running it as dom0.

Yeeey!

* Re: HYBRID: (PV in HVM) update
@ 2011-10-21  9:26   ` Stefano Stabellini
From: Stefano Stabellini @ 2011-10-21  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Ian Campbell, Xen-devel, Fraser, Keir

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Mukesh Rathor wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:54:14 -0700
> Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > JFYI... So I had a third type is_hybrid in my prototype, that I
> > thought I could get rid of, and hide things under is_hvm check. But
> > that just touches too much code, and things get ugly a bit all over.
> >
> > It seems I could just mark the guest PV if not EPT and using PV
> > paging, and mark it HVM if EPT enabled to keep changes minimum, and
> > just check for hybrid where needed (so add is_hybrid back in). Trying
> > that now....
> >
> > thanks
> > Mukesh
> >

> YEAY guys!!! I now have PV in HVM guest running with EPT!
> I'll clean up the code (tons of debug stuff right now), and post
> it for anyone to look at.

great!!

> Next and final frontier after that, running it as dom0.

looking forward to it!

* Re: HYBRID: (PV in HVM) update
@ 2011-10-24  8:47   ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2011-10-24  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mukesh Rathor; +Cc: Xen-devel, Keir Fraser

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 00:17 +0100, Mukesh Rathor wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:54:14 -0700
> Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@oracle.com> wrote:
> >
> > JFYI... So I had a third type is_hybrid in my prototype, that I
> > thought I could get rid of, and hide things under is_hvm check. But
> > that just touches too much code, and things get ugly a bit all over.
> >
> > It seems I could just mark the guest PV if not EPT and using PV
> > paging, and mark it HVM if EPT enabled to keep changes minimum, and
> > just check for hybrid where needed (so add is_hybrid back in). Trying
> > that now....
> >
> > thanks
> > Mukesh
> >

> YEAY guys!!! I now have PV in HVM guest running with EPT!

That's awesome news!

> I'll clean up the code (tons of debug stuff right now), and post
> it for anyone to look at.

> Next and final frontier after that, running it as dom0.

Whee!

Ian.