* kernel.org udev tarballs
@ 2011-11-02 14:05
                   ` (5 more replies)
From:  @ 2011-11-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the udev tarballs will be put back on
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev/
or should we rely only on git snapshots from now on?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Benoît

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
@ 2011-11-02 14:35 ` Greg KH
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg KH @ 2011-11-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:05:52PM +0100, Benoît THÉBAUDEAU wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know if the udev tarballs will be put back on
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev/
> or should we rely only on git snapshots from now on?

They will be put back there, please give us time.

greg k-h

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
@ 2011-11-02 14:46 ` Kay Sievers
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Kay Sievers @ 2011-11-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

2011/11/2 Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:05:52PM +0100, Benoît THÉBAUDEAU wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the udev tarballs will be put back on
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev/

The current release is just here:
  http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/

>> or should we rely only on git snapshots from now on?

You can always just check out a git tag and do:
  ./autogen
  make
  make distcheck
to get any tarball you need.

> They will be put back there, please give us time.

Not sure if all the old release tarballs will ever come back to kernel
org. Git is the better archive for that anyway.

The new releases will be there for sure when the infrastructure is
ready. In the meantime, you can just get old releases from any of the
distros archives who stored them in their build systems with proper
checksums.

Kay

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
@ 2011-11-03 10:00 ` Michael Olbrich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2011-11-03 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:46:26PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> 2011/11/2 Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:
> > On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:05:52PM +0100, Benoît THÉBAUDEAU wrote:
> >> Does anyone know if the udev tarballs will be put back on
> >> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev/
>
> The current release is just here:
>   http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/
>
> >> or should we rely only on git snapshots from now on?
>
> You can always just check out a git tag and do:
>   ./autogen
>   make
>   make distcheck
> to get any tarball you need.
>
> > They will be put back there, please give us time.
>
> Not sure if all the old release tarballs will ever come back to kernel
> org. Git is the better archive for that anyway.
>
> The new releases will be there for sure when the infrastructure is
> ready. In the meantime, you can just get old releases from any of the
> distros archives who stored them in their build systems with proper
> checksums.

That really depends on the use-case. All embedded Linux distributions that
I know of rely on upstream to provide the tarballs.
And the big distributions only keep the versions they actually use and that
changes all the time.
So please upload the old tarballs again, once the infrastructure is ready.

Regards,
Michael

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-03 12:09 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2011-11-03 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 11:00:40AM +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 03:46:26PM +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> >
> > The current release is just here:
> >   http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/

> > You can always just check out a git tag and do:
> >   ./autogen
> >   make
> >   make distcheck
> > to get any tarball you need.
> >
> > > They will be put back there, please give us time.
> >
> > Not sure if all the old release tarballs will ever come back to kernel
> > org. Git is the better archive for that anyway.
> >
> > The new releases will be there for sure when the infrastructure is
> > ready. In the meantime, you can just get old releases from any of the
> > distros archives who stored them in their build systems with proper
> > checksums.
>
> That really depends on the use-case. All embedded Linux distributions that
> I know of rely on upstream to provide the tarballs.

Why do they do this?  If they are expecting that upstream's tarballs
will always be there to abide by the GPL, then they might wish to
reconsider that :)

> And the big distributions only keep the versions they actually use and that
> changes all the time.
> So please upload the old tarballs again, once the infrastructure is ready.

You can always create the old tarball yourself automatically from git if
needed.

Anyway, it's being worked on, there's lots of other things to address
with kernel.org first, please be patient.

greg k-h

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-03 13:08 ` Kay Sievers
From: Kay Sievers @ 2011-11-03 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 13:09, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 11:00:40AM +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
>> >
>> > The current release is just here:
>> >   http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/

>> > You can always just check out a git tag and do:
>> >   ./autogen
>> >   make
>> >   make distcheck
>> > to get any tarball you need.

>> > Not sure if all the old release tarballs will ever come back to kernel
>> > org. Git is the better archive for that anyway.
>> >
>> > The new releases will be there for sure when the infrastructure is
>> > ready. In the meantime, you can just get old releases from any of the
>> > distros archives who stored them in their build systems with proper
>> > checksums.
>>
>> That really depends on the use-case. All embedded Linux distributions that
>> I know of rely on upstream to provide the tarballs.

They should probably switch to build-from-git, if they rely on
anything like that.

> Why do they do this?  If they are expecting that upstream's tarballs
> will always be there to abide by the GPL, then they might wish to
> reconsider that :)
>
>> And the big distributions only keep the versions they actually use and that
>> changes all the time.
>> So please upload the old tarballs again, once the infrastructure is ready.
>
> You can always create the old tarball yourself automatically from git if
> needed.
>
> Anyway, it's being worked on, there's lots of other things to address
> with kernel.org first, please be patient.

Michael, honestly, I don't expect all the old 173 tarballs to come
back anytime soon. I don't even know if the recent autotools do the
right thing with the very old sources. It's more complicated with
pre-built stuff in tarballs than it is with the simple git-tar export
the kernel uses. Earlier versions we even build the tar by hand and
not with 'make dist', I doubt that someone wants to go through
rebuilding all that by hand.

I don't have a trusted copy of any of the old tarballs, only git. We
require PGP signing for all new tarballs on kernel.org and can
probably not just restore the old ones, I can definitely not sign them
for uploading unless there is something that makes absolutely sure
they are not manipulated.

Kay

* Re: kernel.org udev tarballs
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-11-04 10:01 ` Michael Olbrich
From: Michael Olbrich @ 2011-11-04 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 05:09:32AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 11:00:40AM +0100, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > >
> > > The current release is just here:
> > >   http://people.freedesktop.org/~kay/

> > > You can always just check out a git tag and do:
> > >   ./autogen
> > >   make
> > >   make distcheck
> > > to get any tarball you need.

> > > Not sure if all the old release tarballs will ever come back to kernel
> > > org. Git is the better archive for that anyway.
> > >
> > > The new releases will be there for sure when the infrastructure is
> > > ready. In the meantime, you can just get old releases from any of the
> > > distros archives who stored them in their build systems with proper
> > > checksums.
> >
> > That really depends on the use-case. All embedded Linux distributions that
> > I know of rely on upstream to provide the tarballs.
>
> Why do they do this?  If they are expecting that upstream's tarballs
> will always be there to abide by the GPL, then they might wish to
> reconsider that :)

There are no binaries here. It's just rules how to build things. With
downloading the tarball as a first step.

> > And the big distributions only keep the versions they actually use and that
> > changes all the time.
> > So please upload the old tarballs again, once the infrastructure is ready.
>
> You can always create the old tarball yourself automatically from git if
> needed.

Really? Different versions for autoconf/automake/libtool etc. introduce an
amount of uncertainty I'm not really comfortable with.

Michael