* patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-07 19:07 Maz The Northener
From: Maz The Northener @ 2011-11-07 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi!

I sent a few versions of a patch to the netdev some days ago. I
recently stumbled upon patchwork website, and noticed that the latest
versions of my patches had "deferred" state. I tried searching for
what that means, but only thing I managed to find was Uboot project's
explanation. They used deferred state to mean that patch in question
depends on something not currently in source tree. I doubt that's the
case here though. Maybe it is because my patch was created against rc4
kernel.

I was just wondering if I could do some conclusion based on the state.
I naturally am keen to know if patch is rejected, or if it stil may
end up in kernel, or if there is something I could still do in order
to improve the situation? Maybe creating the patch against new 3.1
kernel would help you?

So is the different states of patches explained somewhere?

--Matti Vaittinen

* Re: patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-07 19:14 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-11-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mazziesaccount; +Cc: netdev

From: Maz The Northener <mazziesaccount@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:07:45 +0200

> So is the different states of patches explained somewhere?

Tell us what specific patch you're talking about and maybe we
can give you an answer.

* Re: patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-07 20:08   ` Maz The Northener
From: Maz The Northener @ 2011-11-07 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: netdev

I was talking about http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123407/ and
patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123406/

--

-Matti "Maz" Vaittinen
CWF coding team leader

BrakesAreForCowards!!!
When you feel blue, no one sees your tears... When your down, no one
understands your struggle...
When you feel happy, no one notices your smile...
But fart just once...
I would love to create a freeware game with C - unless I was working at NSN.

* Re: patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-07 20:19     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-11-07 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mazziesaccount; +Cc: netdev

From: Maz The Northener <mazziesaccount@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:08:00 +0200

> I was talking about http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123407/ and
> patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123406/

Those are deferred because now is not an appropriate time to submit
new feature patches.

This kind of work should be resubmitted when net-next opens back up.

* Re: patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-09  9:57       ` Maz The Northener
From: Maz The Northener @ 2011-11-09  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller, Matti Vaittinen; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: Maz The Northener <mazziesaccount@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 22:08:00 +0200
>
>> I was talking about http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123407/ and
>> patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/123406/
>
> This kind of work should be resubmitted when net-next opens back up.

I assume now would be correct time, right? If I am correct, net-next
is open now due to linux 3.2-rc1 (If I am wrong, please tell me how I
know when net-next is opened).
So I should resubmit the patches. I just fetched snapshot from
net-next.git at kernel.org, and tried applying the patches. Applying
succeeded but with offset. So should I redo patches on top of some
other kernel, and if so, which one?

-Matti

* Re: patch "workflow" - what deferred state means?
@ 2011-11-09 18:32         ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-11-09 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mazziesaccount; +Cc: matti.vaittinen, netdev

From: Maz The Northener <mazziesaccount@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 11:57:13 +0200

> I assume now would be correct time, right? If I am correct, net-next
> is open now due to linux 3.2-rc1 (If I am wrong, please tell me how I
> know when net-next is opened).

Why do you even need to ask me this?

It's painfully obvious that net-next is open, you know why?

Because I posted an explicit announcement here a few days ago
stating so.

All of your questions and queries show me that you don't follow
our development here on this list, and that's why you're constantly
grasping for straws wondering how things are supposed to work.