* hook for rebase --continue
@ 2011-11-07 19:42 Matt Graham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt Graham @ 2011-11-07 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,
I did some testing and it appears that during a rebase, if I resolve a
conflict and call git rebase --continue, the pre-commit hook doesn't
run.  This means that if I don't resolve the conflict correctly, our
check for invalid syntax doesn't get run and creates the risk that
someone could push code with invalid syntax, not realizing that the
check didn't run.

Does anyone else share my expectation that the pre-commit hook should
run during a rebase? Or at least for the first commit following a
rebase conflict?

If not, is there another hook that is triggered by a rebase that I
should be using instead?

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: hook for rebase --continue
@ 2011-11-07 19:46 ` Martin Fick
From: Martin Fick @ 2011-11-07 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Graham; +Cc: git

On Monday, November 07, 2011 12:42:32 pm Matt Graham wrote:
> Does anyone else share my expectation that the pre-commit
> hook should run during a rebase? Or at least for the
> first commit following a rebase conflict?

I have had the same concern.  We use a change-id hook for
Gerrit development, and it adds a footer line to commit
messages.  If during a rebase, it is accidentally removed,
the hook does not get run and does not re-add it,

-Martin

--
Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. which is a
member of Code Aurora Forum

* Re: hook for rebase --continue
@ 2011-11-10  0:47 ` Neal Kreitzinger
From: Neal Kreitzinger @ 2011-11-10  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Graham; +Cc: git

On 11/7/2011 1:42 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
> I did some testing and it appears that during a rebase, if I resolve
> a conflict and call git rebase --continue, the pre-commit hook
> doesn't run.  This means that if I don't resolve the conflict
> correctly, our check for invalid syntax doesn't get run and creates
> the risk that someone could push code with invalid syntax, not
> realizing that the check didn't run.
>
> Does anyone else share my expectation that the pre-commit hook
> should run during a rebase? Or at least for the first commit
> following a rebase conflict?
>
> If not, is there another hook that is triggered by a rebase that I
> should be using instead?

You could try creating an alias (e.g. "git rebase-continue") in your
gitconfig that runs the desired validation logic and then executes git
rebase.  Then you would run "git rebase-continue" instead of "git rebase
--continue".

v/r,
neal

* Re: hook for rebase --continue
@ 2011-11-10  0:50   ` Neal Kreitzinger
From: Neal Kreitzinger @ 2011-11-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matt Graham, git

On 11/9/2011 6:47 PM, Neal Kreitzinger wrote:
> On 11/7/2011 1:42 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
>> I did some testing and it appears that during a rebase, if I resolve
>> a conflict and call git rebase --continue, the pre-commit hook
>> doesn't run. This means that if I don't resolve the conflict
>> correctly, our check for invalid syntax doesn't get run and creates
>> the risk that someone could push code with invalid syntax, not
>> realizing that the check didn't run.
>>
>> Does anyone else share my expectation that the pre-commit hook
>> should run during a rebase? Or at least for the first commit
>> following a rebase conflict?
>>
>> If not, is there another hook that is triggered by a rebase that I
>> should be using instead?
>>
> You could try creating an alias (e.g. "git rebase-continue") in your
> gitconfig that runs the desired validation logic and then executes git
> rebase --continue. Then you would run "git rebase-continue" instead of "git rebase
> --continue".

correction: added the --continue option in the alias example above.

--neal

* Re: hook for rebase --continue
@ 2011-11-15 23:28 ` Neal Kreitzinger
From: Neal Kreitzinger @ 2011-11-15 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Graham; +Cc: git

On 11/7/2011 1:42 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
> Hi, I did some testing and it appears that during a rebase, if I
> resolve a conflict and call git rebase --continue, the pre-commit
> hook doesn't run.  This means that if I don't resolve the conflict
> correctly, our check for invalid syntax doesn't get run and creates
> the risk that someone could push code with invalid syntax, not
> realizing that the check didn't run.
>
> Does anyone else share my expectation that the pre-commit hook
> should run during a rebase? Or at least for the first commit
> following a rebase conflict?
>
> If not, is there another hook that is triggered by a rebase that I
> should be using instead?

I just noticed there is a post-rewrite hook in the manpage
http://schacon.github.com/git/githooks.html.  Maybe this does what you want.

v/r,
neal