* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-18 20:02 Belisko Marek
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Belisko Marek @ 2011-11-18 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
also angstrom).

Is there anybody who working on this or can I start integration to buildroot?

Regards,

Marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-18 21:09 ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2011-11-18 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Belisko> Hi,
 Belisko> when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
 Belisko> interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
 Belisko> There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
 Belisko> systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
 Belisko> also angstrom).

 Belisko> Is there anybody who working on this or can I start integration to buildroot?

I've taken a quick look, but not done anything concrete about it yet, so
feel free to work on it. Notice that systemd pulls in quite some
dependencies, so it might not really be a net gain in the end depending
on your setup - In Koens presentation he mentioned that his OE setup
spends more than a minute from init to finished booting, which is quite
far from a typical buildroot boot.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-20  8:28 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2011-11-20  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Fri, 18 Nov 2011 21:02:42 +0100,
Belisko Marek <marek.belisko@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> Is there anybody who working on this or can I start integration to
> buildroot?

My colleague Maxime Ripard has started looking at this, maybe he can
share the status of his work.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-20 19:15   ` Robert Schwebel
From: Robert Schwebel @ 2011-11-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:09:44PM +0100, Peter Korsgaard wrote:
>  Belisko> when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
>  Belisko> interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
>  Belisko> There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
>  Belisko> systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
>  Belisko> also angstrom).

ptxdist has systemd support as well. We are in fact migrating all our
newer BSPs to systemd.

> Notice that systemd pulls in quite some dependencies, so it might not
> really be a net gain in the end depending on your setup - In Koens
> presentation he mentioned that his OE setup spends more than a minute
> from init to finished booting, which is quite far from a typical
> buildroot boot.

Our impression after half a year of experience with systemd in embedded
scenarios is that it is worth the effort. The whole beast is a really,
really great idea, because it solves so many standard problems in a very
clean and clever way. However, don't expect magic when it comes to boot
times. The old strategy that a system boots the quicker the less it does
is still vaild. If you do a lot of things, it will take it's time.

Where we find it helpful is:

- have a clean abstraction of "services"
- be able to deal with services via an API (not just scripts)
- integration of application scenarios ontop of a base operating system
- watchdog handling (we are trying to integrate watchdog into systemd
  mainline)
- security aware environments (it may be possible to run systems without
  a shell)
- and of course all the other selling points which have been outlined by
  the systemd people.

rsc

* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-21  9:34 ` Maxime Ripard
From: Maxime Ripard @ 2011-11-21  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On 18/11/2011 21:02, Belisko Marek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
> interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
> There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
> systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
> also angstrom).
>
> Is there anybody who working on this or can I start integration to buildroot?

After attending this exact talk, I've begun to work on some integration
of systemd in Buildroot.

This has been stalled lately because I didn't have time to improve my
initial implementation, but basically, I have for now :
  - Made the systemd package
  - Added new package variables to define both Sys-V and systemd-format
init scripts
  - Added the needed logic so that you can only select one of the init
systems available in Buildroot (sysvinit, Busybox, systemd)
  - Migrated the existing packages to use the mentionned variables.

I still have some issues that I need to address, that explains why I
haven't yet posted the patches :
  - I have a bug that adds the sysv init scripts to the target even if
it shouldn't
  - I have not tested it "live" yet

I'll try to work on it this week

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] systemd
@ 2011-11-23  7:49   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2011-11-23  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Monday 21 November 2011 10:34:32 Maxime Ripard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/11/2011 21:02, Belisko Marek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when looking for ELCE 2011 videos one video was very
> > interesting:http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/kooi
> > There is a lot of discussion about decreasing boot time for embedded
> > systems and systemd seems not yet included in buildroot (OE have it
> > also angstrom).
> >
> > Is there anybody who working on this or can I start integration to buildroot?
>
> After attending this exact talk, I've begun to work on some integration
> of systemd in Buildroot.
>
> This has been stalled lately because I didn't have time to improve my
> initial implementation, but basically, I have for now :
>   - Made the systemd package
>   - Added new package variables to define both Sys-V and systemd-format
> init scripts
>   - Added the needed logic so that you can only select one of the init
> systems available in Buildroot (sysvinit, Busybox, systemd)
>   - Migrated the existing packages to use the mentionned variables.
>
> I still have some issues that I need to address, that explains why I
> haven't yet posted the patches :
>   - I have a bug that adds the sysv init scripts to the target even if
> it shouldn't
>   - I have not tested it "live" yet

 If you post the patches already as an RFC, perhaps you will get some
comments that help you overcome these issues... Especially with a user
that is willing to test them.

 Marek, if you test the eventual patches (and they work), can you give
them your Tested-by: tag?

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540