* SYMLINK assignment in udev rules file
@ 2011-12-21 18:47 jacky.fong
From: jacky.fong @ 2011-12-21 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Hi,
I need some help with udev rule writing. I am having difficulty
understanding the description for the SYMLINK assignment key
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/oneiric/man7/udev.7.html).  The
manpage
says,
   "In case multiple devices claim the same name, the link always
points to the device with the highest link_priority."

How can you have multiple devices that claim the same name? It is said
in the description section of the manpage that "the kernel usually
just assigns unpredictable device names based on the order of
discovery." E.g. sda, sdb,...

The only situation I could think of where multiple devices claiming
the same name is when the user decides to do NAME="sda", which is not
recommended, as noted in the manpage.

Btw, none of the device file nodes are created in the filesystem
(/dev) at this
point right?  Since filenames must be unique under a directory, I just
don't see the case where "multiple devices claim the same name".

Thanks,
Jacky

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-12-21 18:47 UTC | newest]