* system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-26  0:43 Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2011-12-26  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hello!

I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes it
works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the freeze
happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work, I need to
power cycle).

I was using libdrm-2.4.27 before, system freeze showed some colorful lines
running down at the left side of the screen after turning black, then some
blue flicker in the top 10% of the the screen. System no longer reacts,
network is dead too.

Now, using libdrm-2.4.29, the system freeze shows other effects: Screen does
not turn black but starts to flicker and occassionally moves some
centimeters to the right (wrapping the right-most part to the left) for a
very short time, then jumping back with some distortions. The rest is the
same: Complete freeze, even reset button stops working.

Before finding out about the libdrm difference, I tried other intel xorg
driver versions to no avail, I tried with SNA support and without. No
difference. I'm now back to intel xorg driver 2.17.0.

I read about the semaphores feature, turned it off: No change. Sometimes the
system even freezes before displaying the framebuffer splash.

I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.

Do you need any specs? I'd be happy to send these. The system is a Z68 Pro
board with Sandybridge i5-2500K processor, 8 GB of RAM and UEFI firmware.
Looks like RC6 is not ready for roll-out, at least on some mainboards.

Regards,
Kai

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-26  1:09 ` Keith Packard
From: Keith Packard @ 2011-12-26  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow, intel-gfx

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 01:43:37 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
> kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
> 3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.

Argh. Can you try building a kernel with VT-d support? I assume you
can't turn VT-d off in the BIOS as it's UEFI?

--
keith.packard@intel.com

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 827 bytes --]

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-26  2:43   ` Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2011-12-26  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> schrieb:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 01:43:37 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
>> kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
>> 3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.
>
> Argh. Can you try building a kernel with VT-d support? I assume you
> can't turn VT-d off in the BIOS as it's UEFI?

kakra@jupiter ~ $ zgrep -i iommu /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
# CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
# CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set

So kernel vt-d support is on. Not sure what to look for in dmesg thou... I
didn't look into the BIOS settings yet, but usually if there is such an
option I turn it on because I use virtual machines.

@ 2011-12-26  3:25     ` Keith Packard
From: Keith Packard @ 2011-12-26  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow, intel-gfx

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 03:43:22 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> schrieb:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 01:43:37 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
> >> kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
> >> 3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.
> >
> > Argh. Can you try building a kernel with VT-d support? I assume you
> > can't turn VT-d off in the BIOS as it's UEFI?
>
> kakra@jupiter ~ $ zgrep -i iommu /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
> # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
> CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
> CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
> CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
> # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
> CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
> CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
> CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
> # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
>
> So kernel vt-d support is on. Not sure what to look for in dmesg thou... I
> didn't look into the BIOS settings yet, but usually if there is such an
> option I turn it on because I use virtual machines.

You almost certainly don't need IOMMU/VT-d support though; that
virtualizes devices for DMA by the guest OS, which generally no-one
does.

The BIOS manual for the Z68 board mentions two configuration options,

CPU Configuration:

    Intel Virtualization Technology
        When this option is set to [Enabled], a VMM (Virtual Machine
        Architecture) can utilize the additional hardware capabilities
        provided by Vanderpool Technology. This option will be hidden if
        the installed CPU does not support Intel Virtualization
        Technology.

North Bridge Configuration:

    VT-d
        Use this to enable or disable Intel® VT-d technology (Intel®
        Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O). The default value
        of this feature is [Disabled].

I'd love to see tests with these in the three possible combinations:

        VT enabled, VT-d enabled
        VT enabled, VT-d disabled
        VT disabled, VT-d disabled

Meanwhile, I'll get a patch ready for 3.2 which disables RC6 again.

--

@ 2011-12-26 10:59       ` Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2011-12-26 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> schrieb:

> You almost certainly don't need IOMMU/VT-d support though; that
> virtualizes devices for DMA by the guest OS, which generally no-one
> does.
>
> The BIOS manual for the Z68 board mentions two configuration options,
>
> CPU Configuration:
>     Intel Virtualization Technology

This exists...

> North Bridge Configuration:
>     VT-d

This doesn't...

> I'd love to see tests with these in the three possible combinations:
>
>         VT enabled, VT-d enabled
>         VT enabled, VT-d disabled
>         VT disabled, VT-d disabled

Since there's only VT in my BIOS, I tested both settings, and both failed. I
can only reliably boot with RC6 disabled. Otherwise it reproducably hangs on
a black screen either just before the boot splash or it never shows the boot
splash from initramfs (but works, I see HD activity) and then hangs on
this happens. But usually the system gets past this and later fails to start
or log in to X. The screen goes crazy (flickering or colorful stripes
running down the left side of the screen) when this happens. System freezes
completely, e.g. if I had HD activity the LED stays on forever, hw reset
button dead.

> Meanwhile, I'll get a patch ready for 3.2 which disables RC6 again.

If I should provide more info to identify my system, please tell me.

Regards,
Kai

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-27  0:54         ` Keith Packard
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Keith Packard @ 2011-12-27  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow, intel-gfx

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:59:04 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com> wrote:

> > North Bridge Configuration:
> >     VT-d
>
> This doesn't exist

That's odd. I don't understand all of the SNB CPU variations; perhaps
there's a desktop version that has VT-d fused out or something?

> If I should provide more info to identify my system, please tell me.

# lspci -nn -vv

--

@ 2011-12-27  3:18           ` Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2011-12-27  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Keith Packard wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:59:04 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > North Bridge Configuration:
>> >     VT-d
>>
>> This doesn't exist
>
> That's odd. I don't understand all of the SNB CPU variations; perhaps
> there's a desktop version that has VT-d fused out or something?
>
>> If I should provide more info to identify my system, please tell me.
>
> # lspci -nn -vv

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor
Family DRAM Controller [8086:0100] (rev 09)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:0100]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>
        Kernel driver in use: agpgart-intel

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation
Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0112] (rev 09)
(prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:0112]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
        Region 0: Memory at fe000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Region 2: Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Region 4: I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0100c  Data: 4179
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: i915

00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200
Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c3a]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Capabilities: [8c] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 0000000000000000  Data: 0000

00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1c2d] (rev 05) (prog-if
20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c2d]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
        Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1c20] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1892]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee0400c  Data: 41a9
        Capabilities: [70] Express (v1) Root Complex Integrated Endpoint,
MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE- FLReset+
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown,
Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed unknown, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk-
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Virtual Channel
                Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
                Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
                Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
        Capabilities: [130 v1] Root Complex Link
                Desc:   PortNumber=0f ComponentID=00 EltType=Config
                Link0:  Desc:   TargetPort=00 TargetComponent=00 AssocRCRB-
LinkType=MemMapped LinkValid+
                        Addr:   00000000fed1c000
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1c10] (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #1, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <1us, L1 <4us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                SltCap: AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug-
Surprise-
                        Slot #0, PowerLimit 10.000W; Interlock- NoCompl+
                SltCtl: Enable: AttnBtn- PwrFlt- MRL- PresDet- CmdCplt-
HPIrq- LinkChg-
                        Control: AttnInd Unknown, PwrInd Unknown, Power-
Interlock-
                SltSta: Status: AttnBtn- PowerFlt- MRL- CmdCplt- PresDet-
Interlock-
                        Changed: MRL- PresDet- LinkState-
                RootCtl: ErrCorrectable- ErrNon-Fatal- ErrFatal- PMEIntEna+
CRSVisible-
                RootCap: CRSVisible-
                RootSta: PME ReqID 0000, PMEStatus- PMEPending-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+ ARIFwd-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
ARIFwd-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -3.5dB
        Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0f00c  Data: 4159
        Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:1c10]
        Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e]
(rev b5) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
        Memory behind bridge: fe500000-fe5fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #5, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <1us, L1 <4us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive+ BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                SltCap: AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug-
Surprise-
                        Slot #4, PowerLimit 10.000W; Interlock- NoCompl+
                SltCtl: Enable: AttnBtn- PwrFlt- MRL- PresDet- CmdCplt-
HPIrq- LinkChg-
                        Control: AttnInd Unknown, PwrInd Unknown, Power-
Interlock-
                SltSta: Status: AttnBtn- PowerFlt- MRL- CmdCplt- PresDet+
Interlock-
                        Changed: MRL- PresDet- LinkState+
                RootCtl: ErrCorrectable- ErrNon-Fatal- ErrFatal- PMEIntEna-
CRSVisible-
                RootCap: CRSVisible-
                RootSta: PME ReqID 0000, PMEStatus- PMEPending-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+ ARIFwd-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
ARIFwd-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -3.5dB
        Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: 00000000  Data: 0000
        Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:244e]
        Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)

00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:1c1a] (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=04, subordinate=04, sec-latency=0
        I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: 00000000d0000000-00000000d00fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort- <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #6, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <512ns, L1 <4us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive+ BWMgmt+ ABWMgmt-
                SltCap: AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug-
Surprise-
                        Slot #5, PowerLimit 10.000W; Interlock- NoCompl+
[...]
                Address: fee0f00c  Data: 4161
        Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:1c1a]
        Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:1c.6 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 7 [8086:1c1c] (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=0
        Memory behind bridge: fe400000-fe4fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #7, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <512ns, L1 <4us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive+ BWMgmt+ ABWMgmt-
                SltCap: AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug-
Surprise-
                        Slot #6, PowerLimit 10.000W; Interlock- NoCompl+
                SltCtl: Enable: AttnBtn- PwrFlt- MRL- PresDet- CmdCplt-
HPIrq- LinkChg-
                        Control: AttnInd Unknown, PwrInd Unknown, Power-
Interlock-
                SltSta: Status: AttnBtn- PowerFlt- MRL- CmdCplt- PresDet+
Interlock-
                        Changed: MRL- PresDet- LinkState+
                RootCtl: ErrCorrectable- ErrNon-Fatal- ErrFatal- PMEIntEna+
CRSVisible-
                RootCap: CRSVisible-
                RootSta: PME ReqID 0000, PMEStatus- PMEPending-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range BC, TimeoutDis+ ARIFwd-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
ARIFwd-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
        Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0f00c  Data: 4169
        Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:1c1c]
        Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:1c.7 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family PCI Express Root Port 8 [8086:1c1e] (rev b5) (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=06, subordinate=06, sec-latency=0
        Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [40] Express (v2) Root Port (Slot+), MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #8, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <1us, L1 <4us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep+ BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x0, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                SltCap: AttnBtn- PwrCtrl- MRL- AttnInd- PwrInd- HotPlug-
Surprise-
                        Slot #7, PowerLimit 10.000W; Interlock- NoCompl+
[...]
                Address: fee0f00c  Data: 4171
        Capabilities: [90] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:1c1e]
        Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport

00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1c26] (rev 05) (prog-if
20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c26]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Capabilities: [58] Debug port: BAR=1 offset=00a0
        Capabilities: [98] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd

00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Z68 Express Chipset Family LPC
Controller [8086:1c44] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c44]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>

00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:1c02] (rev 05) (prog-if 01
[AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c02]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 45
        Region 0: I/O ports at f0b0 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at f0a0 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at f090 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at f080 [size=4]
        Region 4: I/O ports at f060 [size=32]
        Region 5: Memory at fe605000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        Capabilities: [80] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
                Address: fee0100c  Data: 4181
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)
        Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA v1.0 BAR4 Offset=00000004
        Capabilities: [b0] PCI Advanced Features
                AFCap: TP+ FLR+
                AFCtrl: FLR-
                AFStatus: TP-
        Kernel driver in use: ahci

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
SMBus Controller [8086:1c22] (rev 05)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:1c22]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 18
        Region 0: Memory at fe604000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Region 4: I/O ports at f040 [size=32]
        Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
        Kernel modules: i2c-i801

02:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM108x PCIe to PCI
Bridge Controller [1b21:1080] (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=32
        I/O behind bridge: 0000e000-0000efff
        Memory behind bridge: fe500000-fe5fffff
        Secondary status: 66MHz+ FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR-
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B-
                PriDiscTmr- SecDiscTmr- DiscTmrStat- DiscTmrSERREn-
        Capabilities: [c0] Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device
[1849:1080]

03:01.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 0649 Ultra
ATA/100 PCI to ATA Host Controller [1095:0649] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 0649 Ultra ATA/100 PCI to ATA
Host Controller [1095:0649]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64 (500ns min, 1000ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
        Region 0: I/O ports at e040 [size=8]
        Region 1: I/O ports at e030 [size=4]
        Region 2: I/O ports at e020 [size=8]
        Region 3: I/O ports at e010 [size=4]
        Region 4: I/O ports at e000 [size=16]
        Expansion ROM at fe500000 [disabled] [size=512K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA
PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
        Kernel driver in use: pata_cmd64x
        Kernel modules: pata_cmd64x

04:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Motherboard (one of many)
[1849:8168]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 46
        Region 0: I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
        Region 2: Memory at d0004000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Region 4: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=16K]
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=375mA
PME(D0+,D1+,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee0100c  Data: 4189
        Capabilities: [70] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 01
                DevCap: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<512ns, L1 <64us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset-
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 4096 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1,
Latency L0 unlimited, L1 <64us
                        ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 2.5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
        Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=4 Masked-
                Vector table: BAR=4 offset=00000000
                PBA: BAR=4 offset=00000800
        Capabilities: [d0] Vital Product Data
                No end tag found
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO+ CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES+ TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout-
NonFatalErr+
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout-
NonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 0e, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+
ChkEn-
        Capabilities: [140 v1] Virtual Channel
                Caps:   LPEVC=0 RefClk=100ns PATEntryBits=1
                Arb:    Fixed- WRR32- WRR64- WRR128-
                Ctrl:   ArbSelect=Fixed
        Capabilities: [160 v1] Device Serial Number 01-00-00-00-68-4c-e0-00
        Kernel driver in use: r8169

05:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: Etron Technology, Inc. EJ168 USB 3.0 Host
Controller [1b6f:7023] (rev 01) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:7023]
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
        Capabilities: [70] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/4 Maskable+ 64bit+
                Address: 00000000fee0800c  Data: 4199
                Masking: 0000000e  Pending: 00000000
        Capabilities: [a0] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 1024 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s
<64ns, L1 <1us
                        ExtTag+ AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr+
TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency
L0 <1us, L1 <64us
                        ClockPM+ Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain-
CommClk+
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+
DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Not Supported, TimeoutDis-
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance-
SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range,
EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
        Capabilities: [100 v1] Advanced Error Reporting
                UESta:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UEMsk:  DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                UESvrt: DLP+ SDES- TLP- FCP+ CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt-
RxOF+ MalfTLP+ ECRC- UnsupReq- ACSViol-
                CESta:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout+
NonFatalErr+
                CEMsk:  RxErr- BadTLP- BadDLLP- Rollover- Timeout-
NonFatalErr+
                AERCap: First Error Pointer: 14, GenCap+ CGenEn- ChkCap+
ChkEn-
        Capabilities: [190 v1] Device Serial Number 01-01-01-01-01-01-01-01
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-27  6:03             ` Keith Packard
From: Keith Packard @ 2011-12-27  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow, intel-gfx

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 04:18:21 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com> wrote:

> 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor

Thanks. I'll see about duplicating this system here so we can try and
make it work and still have RC6 enabled, either by fixing it for this
platform or figuring out a likely combination of values that disable for
this machine while leaving it enabled for most others.

--

@ 2011-12-27 10:30           ` tino.keitel+xorg
From: tino.keitel+xorg @ 2011-12-27 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 16:54:18 -0800, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 11:59:04 +0100, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > North Bridge Configuration:
> > >     VT-d
> >
> > This doesn't exist
>
> That's odd. I don't understand all of the SNB CPU variations; perhaps
> there's a desktop version that has VT-d fused out or something?

The K variants of SandyBridge CPUs don't have VT-d. Here is the product
page for the 2500K:

http://ark.intel.com/products/52210/

Regards,
Tino

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-27 16:27           ` Tino Keitel
From: Tino Keitel @ 2011-12-27 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Packard; +Cc: intel-gfx, Kai Krakow

@ 2011-12-28 21:36             ` Kevin
From: Kevin @ 2011-12-28 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

I'm not sure if mentioning this helps, but I think I'm experiencing the same
problem.

My system will occasionally freeze completely (numlock and SysRq key don't work)
with the image on the screen completely frozen (I don't get any artifacts). I
then use the power button to reboot.

I use Arch Linux. libdrm 2.4.27 works. 2.4.28 - 2.4.29 freezes.
Freezes occur with catalyst-11.11 and 11.12 and with xorg-server-1.10 and 1.11
and with linux-3.1.5 and 3.1.4.

$ uname -a
Linux J 3.1.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 10 14:43:09 CET 2011 x86_64 Intel(R)
Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 with catalyst driver (I need GPU opencl atm)

laptop model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157515

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2011-12-30  1:13               ` Kevin
From: Kevin @ 2011-12-30  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Kevin <kjslag <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if mentioning this helps, but I think I'm experiencing the same
> problem.

Nevermind, I got libdrm-2.4.27 to freeze. Everything (including capslock and
sysrq) was frozen except my mouse, which would move just fine.

It's possible I'm affected by this bug
I use brcmsmac

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2012-01-02 13:18                 ` Eugeni Dodonov
From: Eugeni Dodonov @ 2012-01-02 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 23:13, Kevin <kjslag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin <kjslag <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I'm not sure if mentioning this helps, but I think I'm experiencing the
> same
> > problem.
>
> Nevermind, I got libdrm-2.4.27 to freeze. Everything (including capslock
> and
> sysrq) was frozen except my mouse, which would move just fine.
>
> It's possible I'm affected by this bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/908335
> I use brcmsmac

Is there a way to setup a netconsole for your machine and check what
happens during the hangs? The last dying words of the machine could be very
helpful.

Thanks!

--
Eugeni Dodonov
<http://eugeni.dodonov.net/>

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2012-01-12 18:33 ` Ben Widawsky
From: Ben Widawsky @ 2012-01-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 01:43:37AM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes it
> works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the freeze
> happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work, I need to
> power cycle).
>
> I was using libdrm-2.4.27 before, system freeze showed some colorful lines
> running down at the left side of the screen after turning black, then some
> blue flicker in the top 10% of the the screen. System no longer reacts,
> network is dead too.
>
> Now, using libdrm-2.4.29, the system freeze shows other effects: Screen does
> not turn black but starts to flicker and occassionally moves some
> centimeters to the right (wrapping the right-most part to the left) for a
> very short time, then jumping back with some distortions. The rest is the
> same: Complete freeze, even reset button stops working.
>
> Before finding out about the libdrm difference, I tried other intel xorg
> driver versions to no avail, I tried with SNA support and without. No
> difference. I'm now back to intel xorg driver 2.17.0.
>
> I read about the semaphores feature, turned it off: No change. Sometimes the
> system even freezes before displaying the framebuffer splash.
>
> I didn't have such issues with early 3.2 rcs (afair), and not with 3.1
> kernels. After some digging through google I've found you enabled RC6 in
> 3.2. I disabled it now, and my system runs wonderfully.
>
> Do you need any specs? I'd be happy to send these. The system is a Z68 Pro
> board with Sandybridge i5-2500K processor, 8 GB of RAM and UEFI firmware.
> Looks like RC6 is not ready for roll-out, at least on some mainboards.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Can you please try this kernel:
git://people.freedesktop.org/~bwidawsk/drm-intel context-support

You probably need to manually enable rc6. We were given some hint that
we may not be setting up contexts properly. The above branch should
create a default context (amongst other stuff which won't happen in this
case).

Thanks.
Ben

* Re: system freeze with kernel 3.2-rc7
@ 2012-01-12 22:57   ` Kai Krakow
From: Kai Krakow @ 2012-01-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Ben Widawsky <ben@bwidawsk.net> schrieb:

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 01:43:37AM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote:
>> I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes
>> it works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the
>> freeze happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work,
>> I need to power cycle).
[...]
> Can you please try this kernel:
> git://people.freedesktop.org/~bwidawsk/drm-intel context-support
>
> You probably need to manually enable rc6. We were given some hint that
> we may not be setting up contexts properly. The above branch should
> create a default context (amongst other stuff which won't happen in this
> case).

Since that branch seems to be based off 3.2-rc6 I didn't need to enable RC6,
it was on by default.

But I'm sorry to inform you that this still makes my system board freeze
during KDE login, sometimes early, sometimes late during loading of the
desktop.

My system freezes completely: Keyboard dead, SysRq shortcuts dead, screen
goes blank (or shows funny lightshows before blanking), even the hard disk
LED freezes. I need to power cycle to get back into a working state. If I
only use the reset switch, the board behaves strange after reboot. The reset
button sometimes takes a few seconds to make the system reboot when frozen.

All this tells me that something really bad goes on within the
CPU/GPU/chipset during freeze which even survives a board reset. Only power
cycling helps.

Keith got the specs of my system and wanted to "mirror" it for development.
Maybe he could find out better what happens. I have no idea how to debug
that because everything freezes so badly.

@ 2012-01-13  4:04     ` Ben Widawsky
From: Ben Widawsky @ 2012-01-13  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Krakow, Jesse Barnes; +Cc: intel-gfx

On 01/12/2012 02:57 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
> Ben Widawsky<ben@bwidawsk.net>  schrieb:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 01:43:37AM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote:
>>> I found my system freeze mostly during starting up X and KDE. Sometimes
>>> it works for some minutes, sometimes it freezes immediatly. When the
>>> freeze happens, everything is dead (even the reset button does not work,
>>> I need to power cycle).
> [...]
>> Can you please try this kernel:
>> git://people.freedesktop.org/~bwidawsk/drm-intel context-support
>>
>> You probably need to manually enable rc6. We were given some hint that
>> we may not be setting up contexts properly. The above branch should
>> create a default context (amongst other stuff which won't happen in this
>> case).
>
> Since that branch seems to be based off 3.2-rc6 I didn't need to enable RC6,
> it was on by default.
>
> But I'm sorry to inform you that this still makes my system board freeze
> during KDE login, sometimes early, sometimes late during loading of the
> desktop.

Thanks. At least we can give this information back to our design team.

> My system freezes completely: Keyboard dead, SysRq shortcuts dead, screen
> goes blank (or shows funny lightshows before blanking), even the hard disk
> LED freezes. I need to power cycle to get back into a working state. If I
> only use the reset switch, the board behaves strange after reboot. The reset
> button sometimes takes a few seconds to make the system reboot when frozen.
>
> All this tells me that something really bad goes on within the
> CPU/GPU/chipset during freeze which even survives a board reset. Only power
> cycling helps.
>
> Keith got the specs of my system and wanted to "mirror" it for development.
> Maybe he could find out better what happens. I have no idea how to debug
> that because everything freezes so badly.
>
> Regards,
> Kai

Jesse, would you care to update VPG with this info?

Ben