* Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm
@ 2012-01-09 21:19 André Ferraz
From: André Ferraz @ 2012-01-09 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

	I'm using the 2.6.32.x longterm series for our servers but we
	are facing a problem with the bnx2x driver module in our latest
	G7 HP blade servers, the module exists but it doenst ping and
	cant access any node in the network, i saw too that the
	broadcom and hp driver specs can't build on 2.6.32 kernel
	because they only support the 2.6.18 redhat series. The version
	maintained by CentOS/Redhat om 5.x release works but it is
	based on 2.6.18 kernel.

	My initial idea was pull the CentOS 6 kernel source (based on
	2.6.32) and make a patch of the bnx2x driver for my kernel
	source, the patch applies but when i boot the kernel the
	version it remains the same, i saw that the /firmware directory
	has some bnx2x files on it, my question to you is that i
	couldnt find anywhere is how the .c file and the .fw
	correlates , or , how can i create a real backport of this
	driver so i can use an usable version of the driver for the
	longterm release?

	I'm starting to read Linux Device Drivers but i really don't
	know if this question will be answered on it, if you guys have
	more sources of information so i can read i'll be glad if
	send me some .

Thanks in advance,

* Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm
@ 2012-01-09 22:49 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-01-09 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 07:19:18PM -0200, Andr? Ferraz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I'm using the 2.6.32.x longterm series for our servers but we
> 	are facing a problem with the bnx2x driver module in our latest
> 	G7 HP blade servers, the module exists but it doenst ping and
> 	cant access any node in the network, i saw too that the
> 	broadcom and hp driver specs can't build on 2.6.32 kernel
> 	because they only support the 2.6.18 redhat series. The version
> 	maintained by CentOS/Redhat om 5.x release works but it is
> 	based on 2.6.18 kernel.
>
> 	My initial idea was pull the CentOS 6 kernel source (based on
> 	2.6.32) and make a patch of the bnx2x driver for my kernel
> 	source, the patch applies but when i boot the kernel the
> 	version it remains the same, i saw that the /firmware directory
> 	has some bnx2x files on it, my question to you is that i
> 	couldnt find anywhere is how the .c file and the .fw
> 	correlates , or , how can i create a real backport of this
> 	driver so i can use an usable version of the driver for the
> 	longterm release?

Why not just use the 3.2 kernel release, where this should be fixed
already, right?

Once you start backporting "bits and pieces", you can quickly end up
with an unmaintainable mess, not to mention something that no one,
including the community, or any company, will ever support.

greg k-h

* Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm
@ 2012-01-10  1:08   ` André Ferraz
From: André Ferraz @ 2012-01-10  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Greg,
	the problem is that i need to stay with the 2.6.32 grsec
	patchset for my servers, if i didn't have any dependencies like
	that sure i'll be using the 3.2 kernel.

	The idea is to just backport this device driver, the rest of
	the drivers works pretty well, but i didnt find any HowTo or
	some documentation specific to the process of update a driver
	on your kernel source.

[]s

@ 2012-01-10  1:30     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-01-10  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 11:08:18PM -0200, Andr? Ferraz wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> 	the problem is that i need to stay with the 2.6.32 grsec
> 	patchset for my servers, if i didn't have any dependencies like
> 	that sure i'll be using the 3.2 kernel.

Why are you using grsec?  Why has it not been updated in the many years
since 2.6.32 was released?

> 	The idea is to just backport this device driver, the rest of
> 	the drivers works pretty well, but i didnt find any HowTo or
> 	some documentation specific to the process of update a driver
> 	on your kernel source.

Just backporting a single driver, usually isn't that easy, as it relies
on other parts of the kernel.

The kernel is ment to be used as a "whole" release, picking and choosing
is very tough at times, and you will be on your own.

I don't recommend it at all.

good luck,

greg k-h

* Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm
@ 2012-01-11 21:42       ` André Ferraz
From: André Ferraz @ 2012-01-11 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> A: No.
> Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?

	Sorry about that

> Why are you using grsec?  Why has it not been updated in the many
> years since 2.6.32 was released?

	Grsec patchset brings some security features that i need in my
	servers, they are accessible for the clients via ssh and some
	of them gets hacked, they try to exploit the system and other
	things... and the project has patchet for the 3.1.8 kernel, but
	is a test branch, the stable branch is based on the 2.6.32
	longterm (http://grsecurity.net/download_stable.php)

> Just backporting a single driver, usually isn't that easy, as it
> relies on other parts of the kernel.

	Indeed , but my problem now is to understand why still patching
	my kernel with the modifications of a CentOS 6 (just bnx2x
	driver) when i boot the kernel it still show me the old release
	version, the patch is applied but looks like that i'm missing
	some based on the firmware files that CentOS has on their
	kernel, thats why i asked you guys from the mailing list if
	there is some documentation that cold help me understand this

> good luck,

	Thanks Greg

* Some help about backporting a nic module to 2.6.32 longterm
@ 2012-01-11 22:13         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-01-11 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 07:42:04PM -0200, Andr? Ferraz wrote:

> > A: No.
> > Q: Should I include quotations after my reply?
>
> 	Sorry about that
>
> > Why are you using grsec?  Why has it not been updated in the many
> > years since 2.6.32 was released?
>
> 	Grsec patchset brings some security features that i need in my
> 	servers, they are accessible for the clients via ssh and some
> 	of them gets hacked, they try to exploit the system and other
> 	things... and the project has patchet for the 3.1.8 kernel, but
> 	is a test branch, the stable branch is based on the 2.6.32
> 	longterm (http://grsecurity.net/download_stable.php)

Well, I suggest you ask the grsec developers for a new version of the
patch, surely they have updated it in the many years since 2.6.32 was
released.

You also might realize that most of those grsec "features" are already
in the 3.2 kernel release, so you might not need that patchset at all
anymore.

> > Just backporting a single driver, usually isn't that easy, as it
> > relies on other parts of the kernel.
>
> 	Indeed , but my problem now is to understand why still patching
> 	my kernel with the modifications of a CentOS 6 (just bnx2x
> 	driver) when i boot the kernel it still show me the old release
> 	version, the patch is applied but looks like that i'm missing
> 	some based on the firmware files that CentOS has on their
> 	kernel, thats why i asked you guys from the mailing list if
> 	there is some documentation that cold help me understand this

If you are using a CentOS kernel, you really need to go ask those
developers about it, as it is a _very_ patched 2.6.32 kernel, not an
upstream kernel.org version at all.

good luck,

greg k-h