* [dm-crypt] backup of luks header example in the FAQ has a wrong path
@ 2012-01-14 22:32 .. ink ..
From: .. ink .. @ 2012-01-14 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

using cryptsetup 1.4.1

At the section on how to backup a luks header, the example given is below:

cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file h /dev/mapper/c1

The usage of "/dev/mapper" path implies running the command on the mapper,
when i do that i get the following output:

[root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc1 abc
Enter passphrase for /dev/sdc1:
[root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file
backup.img  /dev/mapper/abc ; echo $?
Device /dev/mapper/abc is not a valid LUKS device.
1

The command errors out when using the mapper address as FAQ suggests.

When i use the device directly, it works as shown below:
[root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file
backup.img  /dev/sdc1 ; echo $?
0

It looks like the command to backup the header is supposed to be run on the
device its self and not on the mapper as the FAQ suggests.

* Re: [dm-crypt] backup of luks header example in the FAQ has a wrong path
@ 2012-01-14 23:01 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2012-01-14 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 05:32:27PM -0500, .. ink .. wrote:
> using cryptsetup 1.4.1
>
> At the section on how to backup a luks header, the example given is below:
>
> cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file h /dev/mapper/c1
>

> The usage of "/dev/mapper" path implies running the command on the mapper,
> when i do that i get the following output:
>
> [root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc1 abc
> Enter passphrase for /dev/sdc1:
> [root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file
> backup.img  /dev/mapper/abc ; echo $?
> Device /dev/mapper/abc is not a valid LUKS device.
> 1
>
> The command errors out when using the mapper address as FAQ suggests.
>
> When i use the device directly, it works as shown below:
> [root@mtz build]# cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup --header-backup-file
> backup.img  /dev/sdc1 ; echo $?
> 0
>
> It looks like the command to backup the header is supposed to be run on the
> device its self and not on the mapper as the FAQ suggests.

Ah, yes. Well spotted. I think I was confused because I usually test
LUKS on loop-files. Fixed in SVN and Wiki.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
----