* [U-Boot] Memory testing of flash
@ 2012-01-31  8:46 vk
From: vk @ 2012-01-31  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Is it safer to test flash during bootup...what if power gets off half a way
while writing data on address at which uboot source code is located?Then uboot
will never get started??

* [U-Boot] Memory testing of flash
@ 2012-01-31 11:41 ` Wolfgang Denk
       [not found]   ` <CAHD55i3Odt_e9PdEAoyE=JhRwb5jaKem=xp7PRB-Oe1rqN9EJg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-01-31 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear vk,

In message <loom.20120131T094437-306@post.gmane.org> you wrote:
> Is it safer to test flash during bootup...what if power gets off half a way
> while writing data on address at which uboot source code is located?Then uboot
> will never get started??

Write testing of flash devices on a regular base (like as part of the
POST at every power-on or even at every boot cycle has never been a
clever idea.  It is risky.  And I doubt if people who design such a
test understant the failure mechanisms of such devices, and what can
be done to prevent problems.

In most cases I've seen so far the tests did not do anything good.
They only reduced the life time of the devices.  A really stupid thing
to do.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10%  takes
the other 90% of the time.

@ 2012-01-31 15:47     ` Wolfgang Denk
       [not found]       ` <CAHD55i12Pbk+8RD+MrBaquQPE79UFVy8kRD5jMiNQh81CB06xQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-01-31 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Vaibhav Kothari,

please keep the ML on Cc:

In message <CAHD55i3Odt_e9PdEAoyE=JhRwb5jaKem=xp7PRB-Oe1rqN9EJg@mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Thank you very much....your answer is really very helpful..
>

> Though if i wanted to test flash all sectors but not one which contains
> uboot code ...is it possible to do so??how?

Sure.  Try for example:

	=> erase all

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What is research but a blind date with knowledge?      -- Will Harvey

* [U-Boot] Memory testing of flash
       [not found]         ` <20120201102956.09F9225E9F5@gemini.denx.de>
@ 2012-02-01 12:40           ` vaibhav kothari
From: vaibhav kothari @ 2012-02-01 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Thnx for the previous post

You said that it is not fruitful idea to test flash post test at every boot
up as it is reduces the life cycle of flash??is there any mechanism to
prevent that?

and also i am using spi serial w25x32 flash and i dont know if it is CFI
complaint or not but i know the board specific flash data...Do i need to
build a board specific flash driver??