* rfc: drop support for historic fs formats from xfsprogs
@ 2012-02-07 18:29 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-02-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

While doing a lot of xfs_repair work I noticed that there's a lot of
effort spent on handling historic filesystem features.  The two that
make my life in repair hard are mostly:

 - unaligned inodes
 - dirv1

none of which every made it to production on Linux.  I'd like to suggest
to drop support for old filesystem features before a certain cut off
date after we release the currently pending xfsprogs 3.1.8 release.

* Re: rfc: drop support for historic fs formats from xfsprogs
@ 2012-02-08  2:41 ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2012-02-08  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: xfs

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 01:29:02PM -0500, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> While doing a lot of xfs_repair work I noticed that there's a lot of
> effort spent on handling historic filesystem features.  The two that
> make my life in repair hard are mostly:
>
>  - unaligned inodes
>  - dirv1
>
> none of which every made it to production on Linux.  I'd like to suggest
> to drop support for old filesystem features before a certain cut off
> date after we release the currently pending xfsprogs 3.1.8 release.

That seems like a good idea to me - less code to support in future,
and I'd say taht code is rarely, if ever, tested to work these days.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner