* Re: drivers realtek rtl8191su [rtl8712 ]
       [not found] <web-16212948@mail-be01.sovam.com>
@ 2012-02-07  2:08 ` Ali Bahar
From: Ali Bahar @ 2012-02-07  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dganic; +Cc: wlanfae, linux-wireless, Larry Finger

Hi dganic,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:17:33PM +0300, dganic@bmail.ru wrote:
> Subject: drivers realtek rtl8191su [rtl8712 ]
>
> Good day, https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/staging/rtl8712/TODO,
> there indicated that in a short time you make a "switch to use
> MAC80211" and as what about "nl80211" I want to do from wi fi card,
> access point, by means of hostapd, but in this implementation, the
> driver who is at the core, this is impossible, in which release of
> the kernel will be implemented this functionality the driver?

Yes, I was the one who had volunteered to try the implementation. But,
unfortunately, I can't work on this driver anymore; I stopped in
September. So, as far as I know, this is not going to happen anytime
soon.

regards,
ali

@ 2012-02-07 16:53   ` dganic
From: dganic @ 2012-02-07 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ali; +Cc: wlanfae, linux-wireless, Larry Finger

Thank you Ali for your reply email. One can wonder why you continue to
develop this driver, and still the most interesting place: (Maybe you
can help me by passing this information in any other developer in a
position to write the full realization of this driver? The average
user like me, they are unlikely to be listen, and you as the developer
will have to listen. Perhaps you have the opportunity to publish this
information in the Linux kernel mailing list or linuxdrivers.org? or
have any contacts who can I turn? itself does not implement realtek
drivers for their devices under Linux?

with respect, Alexander Anishchenko

@ 2012-02-07 17:22     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2012-02-07 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dganic; +Cc: ali, wlanfae, linux-wireless

On 02/07/2012 10:53 AM, dganic@bmail.ru wrote:
> Thank you Ali for your reply email. One can wonder why you continue to develop
> this driver, and still the most interesting place: (Maybe you can help me by
> passing this information in any other developer in a position to write the full
> realization of this driver? The average user like me, they are unlikely to be
> listen, and you as the developer will have to listen. Perhaps you have the
> opportunity to publish this information in the Linux kernel mailing list or
> linuxdrivers.org? or have any contacts who can I turn? itself does not implement
> realtek drivers for their devices under Linux?

Alexander,

I am not quite sure what you are asking, but let me explain the situation as I
understand it.

There is a Linux driver for the RTL8191SU devices. It is in the staging sub-tree
and is called r8712u. This driver has been available since kernel 2.6.37. It is
stable, and handles the HT rates quite well. The one thing it does not do is
work as an AP. It cannot be used with hostapd. The reason is that modern
versions of hostapd use the features of mac80211 through the nl80211 interface,
but r8712u has its own IEEE802.11 stack and does not implement mac80211.

The ultimate fix will be to rewrite the driver to utilize mac80211, which will
be a major undertaking. It is on my TODO list, but it has low priority. Realtek
does not plan to do that rewrite, thus it will be up to the community.

I hope this message helps you understand what is happening.

Larry

* Re: drivers realtek rtl8191su [rtl8712 ]
@ 2012-02-08  1:58     ` Ali Bahar
From: Ali Bahar @ 2012-02-08  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dganic; +Cc: wlanfae, linux-wireless, Larry Finger

Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 07:53:44PM +0300, dganic@bmail.ru wrote:
> Thank you Ali for your reply email. One can wonder why you continue
> to develop this driver, and still the most interesting place: (Maybe

as you have figured out by now, Larry Finger is the main guy for this
driver, not me. I just submitted a few patches this past summer.

> you can help me by passing this information in any other developer
> in a position to write the full realization of this driver? The
> average user like me, they are unlikely to be listen, and you as the
> developer will have to listen. Perhaps you have the opportunity to
> publish this information in the Linux kernel mailing list or
> linuxdrivers.org? or have any contacts who can I turn? itself does

Larry and the linux-wireless list were CCed in my original reply. When
you have issues, you can directly email the list yourself.

take care,
ali