* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-08  7:14 Mark Constable
From: Mark Constable @ 2012-02-08  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Is it worth my while to provide some (first time newbie) patches
for a ext4 rootfs?

I've read some reports it's faster than ext2 on flash, when
journaling is disable, and I need it for HDD installs anway.

* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-08 21:24 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-02-08 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Le Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:14:00 +1000,
Mark Constable <markc@renta.net> a ?crit :

> Is it worth my while to provide some (first time newbie) patches
> for a ext4 rootfs?

Sure!

How do you generate ext4 images? You use genext2fs and then some other
commands to enable ext4-specific features? Is there another utility?

Best regards,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-08 22:10   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2012-02-08 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 22:24:45 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:14:00 +1000,
> Mark Constable <markc@renta.net> a ?crit :
>
> > Is it worth my while to provide some (first time newbie) patches
> > for a ext4 rootfs?
>
> Sure!
>
> How do you generate ext4 images? You use genext2fs and then some other
> commands to enable ext4-specific features? Is there another utility?

 I currently use genext2fs, followed by  tune2fs to add the journal and
e2fsck to fix the incorrect FS version  number.  But it's extremely
inefficient, especially since genext2fs first builds the filesystem in
memory before committing to the output image.  Not good when you want to
create a 500GB partition :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout

--
Arnout Vandecappelle                               arnout at mind be
Senior Embedded Software Architect                 +32-16-286540

* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-08 22:15     ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2012-02-08 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 Arnout>  I currently use genext2fs, followed by tune2fs to add the
 Arnout> journal and e2fsck to fix the incorrect FS version number.  But
 Arnout> it's extremely inefficient, especially since genext2fs first
 Arnout> builds the filesystem in memory before committing to the output
 Arnout> image.  Not good when you want to create a 500GB partition :-)

Wow, you're using Buildroot for systems with 500GB rootfs? Must be those
binary video codecs / GPU drivers you were talking about ;)

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-09 14:02       ` Michael S. Zick
From: Michael S. Zick @ 2012-02-09 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed February 8 2012, Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Arnout>  I currently use genext2fs, followed by tune2fs to add the
>  Arnout> journal and e2fsck to fix the incorrect FS version number.  But
>  Arnout> it's extremely inefficient, especially since genext2fs first
>  Arnout> builds the filesystem in memory before committing to the output
>  Arnout> image.  Not good when you want to create a 500GB partition :-)
>
> Wow, you're using Buildroot for systems with 500GB rootfs? Must be those
> binary video codecs / GPU drivers you were talking about ;)

Naw, this is the embedded inventory system for the home refrigerator.
Leaves room for a bit of meal variety week-to-week. ;)

Mike

* [Buildroot] Ext4 rootfs option
@ 2012-02-09 22:36       ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2012-02-09 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 23:15:07 Peter Korsgaard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Arnout>  I currently use genext2fs, followed by tune2fs to add the
>  Arnout> journal and e2fsck to fix the incorrect FS version number.  But
>  Arnout> it's extremely inefficient, especially since genext2fs first
>  Arnout> builds the filesystem in memory before committing to the output
>  Arnout> image.  Not good when you want to create a 500GB partition :-)
>
> Wow, you're using Buildroot for systems with 500GB rootfs? Must be those
> binary video codecs / GPU drivers you were talking about ;)

 Actually, no.  I wrote the script so it was possible to write the image to
a block device, and it would determine the required fs size automatically.
And then some idiot had the idea of plugging in a USB harddisk instead of
the normal 1GB compactflash card...  Serves me right for trying to be too
generic.

 Regards,
 Arnout