* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-08  4:16 Bud Miljkovic
From: Bud Miljkovic @ 2012-02-08  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Can someone clue me in how one goes about a NAND bootable u-Boot?

-bud

* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-09 20:04 ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2012-02-09 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 17:16:10 Bud Miljkovic wrote:
> Can someone clue me in how one goes about a NAND bootable u-Boot?

Bud

You can't actually run uboot from NAND per se. The rom boot loader reads the
image into ram where it runs.

Based on my experience with omap - which uses a very similar sequence - you
need to configure the uboot to run from the desired location in RAM. The
resulting uboot.bin must then be mashed in whatever way is appropriate for

-- CHarles

* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-09 20:41   ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2012-02-09 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 02/09/2012 02:04 PM, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2012 17:16:10 Bud Miljkovic wrote:
>> Can someone clue me in how one goes about a NAND bootable u-Boot?
>>

> Bud
>
> You can't actually run uboot from NAND per se. The rom boot loader reads the
> image into ram where it runs.
>
> Based on my experience with omap - which uses a very similar sequence - you
> need to configure the uboot to run from the desired location in RAM. The
> resulting uboot.bin must then be mashed in whatever way is appropriate for

On some hardware, the boot rom/logic will only load a small piece from
RAM (e.g. 4K).  U-Boot can be built with a prepended miniloader (SPL) to
fetch the main U-Boot image.  The details (and whether this is supported
at all) depend on what board you're talking about.  There is SPL support
for some i.MX chips -- not sure about i.MX53x.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-10 13:30 ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2012-02-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 08/02/2012 05:16, Bud Miljkovic wrote:
> Can someone clue me in how one goes about a NAND bootable u-Boot?

The mkimage tool supports the generation of the image that can be loaded
into a NAND flash. However, the main problem is that at the moment there
is no NAND driver for MX53. The mxc_nand.c driver does not support MX5 SOCs.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-10 15:05   ` Fabio Estevam
From: Fabio Estevam @ 2012-02-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 2/10/12, Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:

> The mkimage tool supports the generation of the image that can be loaded
> into a NAND flash. However, the main problem is that at the moment there
> is no NAND driver for MX53. The mxc_nand.c driver does not support MX5 SOCs.

Yes, but the internal boot mode can be used though.

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

* [U-Boot] Build u-Boot for NAND boot on i.MX53x platform
@ 2012-02-10 15:14     ` Stefano Babic
From: Stefano Babic @ 2012-02-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 10/02/2012 16:05, Fabio Estevam wrote:
> On 2/10/12, Stefano Babic <sbabic@denx.de> wrote:
>
>> The mkimage tool supports the generation of the image that can be loaded
>> into a NAND flash. However, the main problem is that at the moment there
>> is no NAND driver for MX53. The mxc_nand.c driver does not support MX5 SOCs.
>
> Yes, but the internal boot mode can be used though.

Yes, this is right - this is what I meant with "mkimage support".

However, u-boot does not help to install itself in NAND, and you must
use other tools to physically store the image on the NAND. And the
environment must be still saved on another storage (MMC for example), as
well as other images that must be accessed by the bootloader. If I had
to write a to-do list to make a MX53 based hardware really working with
NAND, adding a NAND driver for MX5 to u-boot goes to first place.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de