* XFS status update for January 2012
@ 2012-02-25 12:02 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-02-25 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel

January saw the release of Linux 3.2, which as usual included a large
number of XFS changes, most notably an large speedup for removing files
that have external attribute blocks, speedups and livelock fixes for
sync while doing heavy I/O, and large internal cleanups of the inode
block map handling.  The diffstat for XFS in Linux 3.2 is:

which is slightly below the average of the last releases.

In the meantime development for 3.3 went ahead full speed, including
the removal of the deprecated pre-delaylog logging code, various
quota cleanups, a shrink of the inode, a great simplification of the file
write path as well as the usual batch of fixes and cleanups.

On the userland side xfs_repair saw various major fixes and speedups,
with few other fixes thrown in, while xfsdump got two commits fixing
longer standing issues recently reported on the mailing list.  For
xfstests January was an extremely slow month, seeing only two new test cases
and less than a handful of other updates.

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-02-25 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs; +Cc: linux-fsdevel, linux-kernel

[...]

* Re: XFS status update for January 2012
  (?)
@ 2012-02-27 10:36 ` Richard Ems
From: Richard Ems @ 2012-02-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

On 02/25/2012 01:02 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> January saw the release of Linux 3.2, which as usual included a large
> number of XFS changes, most notably an large speedup for removing files
> that have external attribute blocks, speedups and livelock fixes for
> sync while doing heavy I/O, and large internal cleanups of the inode
> block map handling.  The diffstat for XFS in Linux 3.2 is:

> which is slightly below the average of the last releases.
>
> In the meantime development for 3.3 went ahead full speed, including
> the removal of the deprecated pre-delaylog logging code, various
> quota cleanups, a shrink of the inode, a great simplification of the file
> write path as well as the usual batch of fixes and cleanups.
>
> On the userland side xfs_repair saw various major fixes and speedups,
> with few other fixes thrown in, while xfsdump got two commits fixing
> longer standing issues recently reported on the mailing list.  For
> xfstests January was an extremely slow month, seeing only two new test cases
> and less than a handful of other updates.

Many thanks to all of your for the good work and support on the mailing
list !

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems@Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5º piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924
http://www.cape-horn-eng.com

* Re: XFS status update for January 2012
@ 2012-02-27 12:16   ` Coert Waagmeester
From: Coert Waagmeester @ 2012-02-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: xfs

On 02/27/2012 12:36 PM, Richard Ems wrote:
> On 02/25/2012 01:02 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> January saw the release of Linux 3.2, which as usual included a large
>> number of XFS changes, most notably an large speedup for removing files
>> that have external attribute blocks, speedups and livelock fixes for
>> sync while doing heavy I/O, and large internal cleanups of the inode
>> block map handling.  The diffstat for XFS in Linux 3.2 is:
>>
>>   54 files changed, 2414 insertions(+), 2625 deletions(-)
>>
>> which is slightly below the average of the last releases.
>>
>> In the meantime development for 3.3 went ahead full speed, including
>> the removal of the deprecated pre-delaylog logging code, various
>> quota cleanups, a shrink of the inode, a great simplification of the file
>> write path as well as the usual batch of fixes and cleanups.
>>
>> On the userland side xfs_repair saw various major fixes and speedups,
>> with few other fixes thrown in, while xfsdump got two commits fixing
>> longer standing issues recently reported on the mailing list.  For
>> xfstests January was an extremely slow month, seeing only two new test cases
>> and less than a handful of other updates.
>
> Many thanks to all of your for the good work and support on the mailing
> list !
>
> cheers,
> Richard

Hello Richard,

Here I am running gentoo with kernel 3.2
In the 2.6 era I always mounted my xfs file systems with the delaylog
option, is this still necessary? Is delaylog now default?

Kind regards,
Coert Waagmeester

* Re: XFS status update for January 2012
@ 2012-02-27 12:53     ` Richard Ems
From: Richard Ems @ 2012-02-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

On 02/27/2012 01:16 PM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> Here I am running gentoo with kernel 3.2
> In the 2.6 era I always mounted my xfs file systems with the delaylog
> option, is this still necessary? Is delaylog now default?

Hi Coert,

I am running now 3.2.7 and the output of " grep xfs /proc/mounts " shows
delaylog as being in use. I didn't put this option in /etc/fstab, so I
think it must be default now.

But surely a developer can give a much better answer to your question.

Richard

--

@ 2012-02-28  8:33       ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2012-02-28  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Ems; +Cc: xfs

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 01:53:05PM +0100, Richard Ems wrote:
> On 02/27/2012 01:16 PM, Coert Waagmeester wrote:
>
> > Hello Richard,
> >
> > Here I am running gentoo with kernel 3.2
> > In the 2.6 era I always mounted my xfs file systems with the delaylog
> > option, is this still necessary? Is delaylog now default?
>
> Hi Coert,
>
> I am running now 3.2.7 and the output of " grep xfs /proc/mounts " shows
> delaylog as being in use. I didn't put this option in /etc/fstab, so I
> think it must be default now.
>
> But surely a developer can give a much better answer to your question.

Delaylog has been the default since Linux 2.6.39.