* [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-01 11:18 Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2012-03-01 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Open Printing

Looking at the source code to pdftopdf, it seems like it is *another*
fork of xpdf.

Is there a reason it can't use the poppler library to do what it needs
to do?

Has it been security audited, or at least have the recent xpdf
vulnerabilities from the last few years been verified not to be present
in pdftopdf?

Thanks,
Tim.
*/

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-01 12:36 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2012-03-01 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: Open Printing

Tim, I did not know that. At least it links against libpoppler.

Otani-san, is there still code-duplication of XPDF or Poppler in the
pdftopdf filter? Can this be avoided?

Tim, which version of pdftopdf are you looking at?

    Till

@ 2012-03-01 13:55   ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2012-03-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Open Printing

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 13:36 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Tim, I did not know that. At least it links against libpoppler.
>
> Otani-san, is there still code-duplication of XPDF or Poppler in the
> pdftopdf filter? Can this be avoided?
>
> Tim, which version of pdftopdf are you looking at?

I'm looking at the pdftopdf from cups-filters-1.0.2.

$ grep -l 'Glyph & Cog' *
P2PCharCodeToUnicode.cxx
P2PCharCodeToUnicode.h
P2PCMap.cxx
P2PCMap.h
P2PGfx.cxx
P2PGfx.h
parseargs.cxx
parseargs.h

These are from xpdf aren't they?  Or copied from poppler?

Tim.
*/

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02  4:03     ` Koji Otani
From: Koji Otani @ 2012-03-02  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twaugh; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

From: Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: pdftopdf
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:55:12 +0000

twaugh> On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 13:36 +0100, Till Kamppeter wrote:
twaugh> > Tim, I did not know that. At least it links against libpoppler.
twaugh> >
twaugh> > Otani-san, is there still code-duplication of XPDF or Poppler in the
twaugh> > pdftopdf filter? Can this be avoided?
twaugh> >
twaugh> > Tim, which version of pdftopdf are you looking at?
twaugh>
twaugh> I'm looking at the pdftopdf from cups-filters-1.0.2.
twaugh>
twaugh> $ grep -l 'Glyph & Cog' *
twaugh> P2PCharCodeToUnicode.cxx
twaugh> P2PCharCodeToUnicode.h
twaugh> P2PCMap.cxx
twaugh> P2PCMap.h
twaugh> P2PGfx.cxx
twaugh> P2PGfx.h
twaugh> parseargs.cxx
twaugh> parseargs.h
twaugh>
twaugh> These are from xpdf aren't they?  Or copied from poppler?
twaugh>

Yes, these files have codes copied from poppler.
pdftopdf uses poppler for what poppler can do.
Some of these files are copied from poppler to compiles it without
 poppler sourcecode files.

----
Koji Otani

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02  9:39       ` Richard Hughes
From: Richard Hughes @ 2012-03-02  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

On 2 March 2012 04:03, Koji Otani <sho@bbr.jp> wrote:
> Yes, these files have codes copied from poppler.
> pdftopdf uses poppler for what poppler can do.
> Some of these files are copied from poppler to compiles it without
>  poppler sourcecode files.

Shouldn't we just link to libpoppler? Or are the source files in some
way modified?

Richard.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02  9:58         ` Koji Otani
From: Koji Otani @ 2012-03-02  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hughsient; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

From: Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 09:39:13 +0000

hughsient> On 2 March 2012 04:03, Koji Otani <sho@bbr.jp> wrote:
hughsient> > Yes, these files have codes copied from poppler.
hughsient> > pdftopdf uses poppler for what poppler can do.
hughsient> > Some of these files are copied from poppler to compiles it without
hughsient> >  poppler sourcecode files.
hughsient>
hughsient> Shouldn't we just link to libpoppler? Or are the source files in some
hughsient> way modified?
hughsient>

pdftopdf is linked to libpoppler.
And pdftopdf used some modified codes of poppler.
----------
Koji Otani

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02 11:22           ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2012-03-02 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 18:58 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
> pdftopdf is linked to libpoppler.
> And pdftopdf used some modified codes of poppler.

So, the parts that are copied from poppler would need explicit security
maintenance outside of the poppler project.

Why do these files need to be copied?  Is there a way the poppler API
could be changed to avoid the need for this?

Tim.
*/

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02 12:08             ` Koji Otani
From: Koji Otani @ 2012-03-02 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twaugh; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

From: Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:22:02 +0000

twaugh> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 18:58 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
twaugh> > pdftopdf is linked to libpoppler.
twaugh> > And pdftopdf used some modified codes of poppler.
twaugh>
twaugh> So, the parts that are copied from poppler would need explicit security
twaugh> maintenance outside of the poppler project.
twaugh>
twaugh> Why do these files need to be copied?  Is there a way the poppler API
twaugh> could be changed to avoid the need for this?
twaugh>

Changes I made are needless for poppler and poppler can't use them.
I used only a frame of codes in some files.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-02 12:13               ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2012-03-02 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 21:08 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
> Changes I made are needless for poppler and poppler can't use them.
> I used only a frame of codes in some files.

I don't understand.  Wasn't the whole idea of poppler to avoid having
bits of xpdf copied into every project that wants to do things to a PDF
file?  And doesn't pdftopdf want to do things to a PDF file?

Can you explain why it is that poppler "can't use" the extra bits you've
changed?  Can you describe what they are?  It seems to me that poppler
ought to provide sufficient insight into the structure of a PDF file so
that pdftopdf can do its job.  If it doesn't, that sounds like something
the poppler project would want to provide... no?

Tim.
*/

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-03  2:33                 ` Koji Otani
From: Koji Otani @ 2012-03-03  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: twaugh; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

Sorry, I'm not good at English.

It seemes that poppler provides parsing and rendering PDF.
pdftopdf needs modifying PDF such as number-up, duplicating pages ,
inserting empty pages, scaling pages, embedding fonts and producing PDF.
When I began to develop poppler, I considered about various things
such as limited time, cost, etc. And I decided that I developed pdftopdf
outside of poppler. (Developing pdftopdf was funded by a Japanese governmental
organization)
It may be ok for poppler to include these features as you say.
I would appreciate it if you put these features into poppler.
----------
Koji Otani

From: Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:13:38 +0000

twaugh> On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 21:08 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
twaugh> > Changes I made are needless for poppler and poppler can't use them.
twaugh> > I used only a frame of codes in some files.
twaugh>
twaugh> I don't understand.  Wasn't the whole idea of poppler to avoid having
twaugh> bits of xpdf copied into every project that wants to do things to a PDF
twaugh> file?  And doesn't pdftopdf want to do things to a PDF file?
twaugh>
twaugh> Can you explain why it is that poppler "can't use" the extra bits you've
twaugh> changed?  Can you describe what they are?  It seems to me that poppler
twaugh> ought to provide sufficient insight into the structure of a PDF file so
twaugh> that pdftopdf can do its job.  If it doesn't, that sounds like something
twaugh> the poppler project would want to provide... no?
twaugh>
twaugh> Tim.
twaugh> */
twaugh>

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-05 12:14                   ` Tim Waugh
From: Tim Waugh @ 2012-03-05 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: printing-architecture, till.kamppeter

On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 11:33 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
> Sorry, I'm not good at English.

Your English is fine. :-)

> It seemes that poppler provides parsing and rendering PDF.
> pdftopdf needs modifying PDF such as number-up, duplicating pages ,
> inserting empty pages, scaling pages, embedding fonts and producing PDF.
> When I began to develop poppler, I considered about various things
> such as limited time, cost, etc. And I decided that I developed pdftopdf
> outside of poppler. (Developing pdftopdf was funded by a Japanese governmental
> organization)
> It may be ok for poppler to include these features as you say.
> I would appreciate it if you put these features into poppler.

Thanks for explaining.  If poppler doesn't currently expose enough to
allow pdftopdf to do what it needs to then some work is needed to change
that, in order to avoid duplication of bugs.

Who knows the pdftopdf/poppler code well enough to do this?

Do we know anyone on the poppler development team who could guide us as
to what sort of changes they will accept?

Tim.
*/

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-05 15:02                     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2012-03-05 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani; +Cc: printing-architecture

Otani-san, for the time being until we succeed to get the Poppler
developers to expose the additional APIs for implementing pdftopdf and
pdftoopvp, can you update the duplictaed code to the newest file
versions available, so that the known vulnerabilities are fixed? Thanks
in advance.

    Till

@ 2012-03-05 15:15                     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2012-03-05 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koji Otani, Albert Astals Cid; +Cc: printing-architecture

On 03/05/2012 01:14 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 11:33 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm not good at English.
>
> Your English is fine. :-)
>
>> It seemes that poppler provides parsing and rendering PDF.
>> pdftopdf needs modifying PDF such as number-up, duplicating pages ,
>> inserting empty pages, scaling pages, embedding fonts and producing PDF.
>> When I began to develop poppler, I considered about various things
>> such as limited time, cost, etc. And I decided that I developed pdftopdf
>> outside of poppler. (Developing pdftopdf was funded by a Japanese governmental
>> organization)
>> It may be ok for poppler to include these features as you say.
>> I would appreciate it if you put these features into poppler.
>
> Thanks for explaining.  If poppler doesn't currently expose enough to
> allow pdftopdf to do what it needs to then some work is needed to change
> that, in order to avoid duplication of bugs.
>
> Who knows the pdftopdf/poppler code well enough to do this?
>
> Do we know anyone on the poppler development team who could guide us as
> to what sort of changes they will accept?

Otani-san, can you provide a list of features which need to get exposed
in Poppler so that you can implement the pdftopdf and pdftoopvp filters
without code duplication? Please CC Albert Astals Cid (CCed in this
mail) when answering.

Albert, could you help us in making more secure and
distribution-friendly PDF print filters by adding some APIs to Poppler?

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-03-06  6:01                       ` Koji Otani
From: Koji Otani @ 2012-03-06  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: till.kamppeter; +Cc: aacid, printing-architecture

From: Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 16:15:10 +0100

till.kamppeter> On 03/05/2012 01:14 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
till.kamppeter> > On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 11:33 +0900, Koji Otani wrote:
till.kamppeter> >> Sorry, I'm not good at English.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Your English is fine. :-)
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> >> It seemes that poppler provides parsing and rendering PDF.
till.kamppeter> >> pdftopdf needs modifying PDF such as number-up, duplicating pages ,
till.kamppeter> >> inserting empty pages, scaling pages, embedding fonts and producing
till.kamppeter> >> PDF.
till.kamppeter> >> When I began to develop poppler, I considered about various things
till.kamppeter> >> such as limited time, cost, etc. And I decided that I developed
till.kamppeter> >> pdftopdf
till.kamppeter> >> outside of poppler. (Developing pdftopdf was funded by a Japanese
till.kamppeter> >> governmental
till.kamppeter> >> organization)
till.kamppeter> >> It may be ok for poppler to include these features as you say.
till.kamppeter> >> I would appreciate it if you put these features into poppler.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Thanks for explaining.  If poppler doesn't currently expose enough to
till.kamppeter> > allow pdftopdf to do what it needs to then some work is needed to
till.kamppeter> > change
till.kamppeter> > that, in order to avoid duplication of bugs.
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Who knows the pdftopdf/poppler code well enough to do this?
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter> > Do we know anyone on the poppler development team who could guide us
till.kamppeter> > as
till.kamppeter> > to what sort of changes they will accept?
till.kamppeter> >
till.kamppeter>
till.kamppeter> Otani-san, can you provide a list of features which need to get
till.kamppeter> exposed in Poppler so that you can implement the pdftopdf and
till.kamppeter> pdftoopvp filters without code duplication? Please CC Albert Astals
till.kamppeter> Cid (CCed in this mail) when answering.
till.kamppeter>
till.kamppeter> Albert, could you help us in making more secure and
till.kamppeter> distribution-friendly PDF print filters by adding some APIs to
till.kamppeter> Poppler?
till.kamppeter>

We already asked Albert to expose some APIs for pdftoopvp, and he
exposed them for us.
Except a few codes,
Essence of this issue is whether we add new features and codes to
poppler not exposing internal APIs, I think.

* Re: [Printing-architecture] pdftopdf
@ 2012-05-29 16:06                       ` Jiri Popelka
From: Jiri Popelka @ 2012-05-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, sho; +Cc: printing-architecture

Otani-san, Till,

compiling cups-filters 1.0.18 I see
checking UGooString.h usability... no
checking UGooString.h presence... no
checking for UGooString.h... no

Trying to discover what's this UGooString and why it's not on my system
I found out that it used to be part of poppler but was definitelly
removed [1] in version 0.6.0. pdftopdf still uses it and has it's own
copy which it uses when there's no UGooString found on the system.

It seem's [2] that the last known version (before it was removed) was
quite different than what's been in pdftopdf's UGooString.[h|cxx].
I have no idea which version is newer but it's worth checking whether
the [2] version doesn't fix any bugs.

Anyway, I think that the checking for system wide UGooString.h when
building pdftopdf could be removed because I don't think anybody uses
poppler < 0.6.0. It just confuses people (like me).

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/commit/?id=bf7e0e980bf29994021cb1228f89f582adddf284

[2]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/tree/poppler/UGooString.cc?id=ba74bb3b0632593d1937911d73709fc870480efd

--
Jiri

@ 2012-05-29 16:50                         ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2012-05-29 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiri Popelka; +Cc: printing-architecture

The pdftopdf filter as it is currently in cups-filters is deprecated.
Tobias Hoffmann is writing a new pdftopdf filter which does not copy
Poppler code at all. Then the UGooString stuff will go away.

    Till