* linux camera drivers
@ 2012-03-01 12:27 Mayank Agarwal
From: Mayank Agarwal @ 2012-03-01 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

I have following questions regarding camera drivers in linux kernel.

1.which are the files/folder in kernel directory where camera drivers
support is provided in linux kernel.
2.Are they customisable according to different SOC requirements.
3.Are there any tutorials/pdfs to understand camera drivers in linux kernel.
4.At present which sensor (i mean aptina/sony/omnivision) drivers are
supported in linux kernel.

Thanks and Regards,
Mayank
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* linux camera drivers
@ 2012-03-01 14:52 ` Greg KH
       [not found]   ` <CAKjpqyJJzEekx4C3RfVBecjY7oictgWts+EVRhQNjsCJ_4d80Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Greg KH @ 2012-03-01 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 05:57:52PM +0530, Mayank Agarwal wrote:
> Hi all,
> ?
> I have following questions regarding camera drivers in linux kernel.
>
> 1.which are the files/folder in kernel directory where camera drivers support
> is provided in linux kernel.

It depends, which type of protocol does your device support?

> 2.Are they customisable according to different SOC requirements.

It depends on what the requirements are.  As it's software, it's always
able to be changed :)

> 3.Are there any tutorials/pdfs to understand camera drivers in linux kernel.

What is wrong with the code itself?

> 4.At present which sensor (i mean aptina/sony/omnivision) drivers are supported
> in linux kernel.

What sensor are you looking for exactly?

What device do you need to support, and what protocol does your camera
use to talk to the hardware?

greg k-h

* linux camera drivers
       [not found]   ` <CAKjpqyJJzEekx4C3RfVBecjY7oictgWts+EVRhQNjsCJ_4d80Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-03-03  4:21     ` Mayank Agarwal
From: Mayank Agarwal @ 2012-03-03  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Mayank Agarwal <mayank77fromindia@gmail.com

@ 2012-03-03  4:51   ` Ricardo Fabbri
From: Ricardo Fabbri @ 2012-03-03  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

>> 3.Are there any tutorials/pdfs to understand camera drivers in linux kernel.
>
> What is wrong with the code itself?

Please provide a more thoughtful answer. At least say if that's your
tried-and-true approach or if it's a suggestion to look into the code.

Ricardo.

* linux camera drivers
@ 2012-03-03  5:03       ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-03-03  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 09:51:27AM +0530, Mayank Agarwal wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Mayank Agarwal <mayank77fromindia@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > 1.I think the device supports i2c or spi protocol.I want to know how the
> > i2c or spi is taking data
> >  from image sensor and giving it to video buffers.

That depends on the i2c controller and the device itself.  You need to
know this before you can determine if Linux supports it or not.

> > 2.I want to understand the whole data flow from image sensor to the
> > display buffer and the role of linux kernel
> > camera drivers in that.

I suggest looking at how the v4l interface works, it's quite complex,
but there is documentation for it already.

If you have specific questions about it, please ask on the linux-media
mailing list.

good luck,

greg k-h

* linux camera drivers
@ 2012-03-03  5:03     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2012-03-03  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 01:51:31AM -0300, Ricardo Fabbri wrote:
> >> 3.Are there any tutorials/pdfs to understand camera drivers in linux kernel.
> >
> > What is wrong with the code itself?
> >

> Please provide a more thoughtful answer. At least say if that's your
> tried-and-true approach or if it's a suggestion to look into the code.

It is always the best approach.

* linux camera drivers
@ 2012-03-05  8:46       ` Prabhakar Lad
From: Prabhakar Lad @ 2012-03-05  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Mayank,

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Mayank Agarwal
<mayank77fromindia@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Mayank Agarwal <
> mayank77fromindia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1.I think the device supports i2c or spi protocol.I want to know how the
>> i2c or spi is taking data
>>  from image sensor and giving it to video buffers.
>> Most of the cameras support i2c or csi.
>>

> 2.I want to understand the whole data flow from image sensor to the
>> display buffer and the role of linux kernel
>> camera drivers in that.
>> For this you need to understand the V4L2 Framework, Or later Media
>> Controller Framework.
>>

> 3.Currently i am looking at Sony IMX036,Aptima MT9P031.
>
>           You can find in directory <source>/drivers/media/video/
           MT9p031 support is there in current kernel but no idea about
imx036.

Regards,
---Prabhakar Lad
Mob: +91-9611756433
http://in.linkedin.com/pub/prabhakar-lad/19/92b/955

@ 2012-03-07  2:34         ` Chetan Nanda
From: Chetan Nanda @ 2012-03-07  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,
AFAIK imx036 is a raw bayer camera, and would be outputting data on mipi
data line.
So one needs a dedicated hardware such as mipi rx and then Isp etc.. And i
dont think drivers for these would be available in linux. I might be wrong
On Mar 5, 2012 2:18 PM, "Prabhakar Lad" <prab