* Terms of MSM/QSD in QAEP
@ 2012-02-29 15:21 Samuel Omlin
From: Samuel Omlin @ 2012-02-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-msm; +Cc: samuel omlin

Hi CodeAurora,

While going through the whole source code by the GitWeb interface
(https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/), there are so many very
obscure terms of MSM/QSD chipset in QAEP (MSM/QSD Android Enablement
Project) making people stuck out there, who are trying being aware of
exactly what they indicate like me, as below.
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_ffa.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_surf.git

platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_6x.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_ffa.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_surf.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_ffa.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_surf.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627a.git

platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_1x_surf.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_ffa.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_fusion.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_surf.git

platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_csfb.git
platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_surf.git

platform/vendor/qcom/msm8960.git

platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_ffa.git
platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_surf.git
platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8650a_st1x.git

Therefore, here are couple of questions come up with:
1> What do FFA, SURF and Fusion for MSM/QSD stand for, individually?
2> What features for FFA, SURF and Fusion for MSM/QSD, separately?

Best Regards,
Samuel

* Re: Terms of MSM/QSD in QAEP
@ 2012-02-29 21:18 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2012-02-29 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Omlin; +Cc: linux-arm-msm

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:21:51PM +0800, Samuel Omlin wrote:
> Hi CodeAurora,
>
> While going through the whole source code by the GitWeb interface
> (https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/), there are so many very
> obscure terms of MSM/QSD chipset in QAEP (MSM/QSD Android Enablement
> Project) making people stuck out there, who are trying being aware of
> exactly what they indicate like me, as below.
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_ffa.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_surf.git
>
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_6x.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_ffa.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_surf.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_ffa.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_surf.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627a.git
>
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_1x_surf.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_ffa.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_fusion.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_surf.git
>
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_csfb.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_surf.git
>
> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8960.git
>
> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_ffa.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_surf.git
> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8650a_st1x.git
>
> Therefore, here are couple of questions come up with:
> 1> What do FFA, SURF and Fusion for MSM/QSD stand for, individually?

The simple answer is that MSM/QSD are the names of the Qualcomm SoC,
such as MSM8660.  There was one family that used the QSD prefix
(8250/8660), but these are otherwise just part of the family.

Terms such as FFA, SURF, and Fusion are names of particular boards
that use these chips.  These are generally dev boards, and
unfortunately, most are not readily available.  The SURF is usually a
larger dev-board, whereas the other targets are usually a smaller form
factor.

David

* Re: Terms of MSM/QSD in QAEP
@ 2012-03-03  2:51   ` Samuel Omlin
From: Samuel Omlin @ 2012-03-03  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown; +Cc: linux-arm-msm, samuel omlin

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply quickly.

As far as I can know, all parts after the name of chipset (like
msm7630) indicate that what case the chipset is applied to. Let's say,
CSFB short for Circuit Switch Fall Back in the naming of xxxxxx_csfb
means being with the functionality of LTE in the modem side for the
chipset. In other words, it is exactly available when required to
support LTE on the air. Note that xxxxxxx here stands for chipset name
that looks something like msm7630.

So, all i would like to know is what situations those "fusion" and
"surf" and "ffa" for chipesets like msm7630  are applied tor,
separately. That's it.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,
Samuel

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 5:18 AM, David Brown <davidb@codeaurora.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:21:51PM +0800, Samuel Omlin wrote:
>> Hi CodeAurora,
>>
>> While going through the whole source code by the GitWeb interface
>> (https://www.codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/), there are so many very
>> obscure terms of MSM/QSD chipset in QAEP (MSM/QSD Android Enablement
>> Project) making people stuck out there, who are trying being aware of
>> exactly what they indicate like me, as below.
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_ffa.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7625_surf.git
>>
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_6x.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_ffa.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_7x_surf.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_ffa.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627_surf.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7627a.git
>>
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_1x_surf.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_ffa.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_fusion.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm7630_surf.git
>>
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_csfb.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8660_surf.git
>>
>> platform/vendor/qcom/msm8960.git
>>
>> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_ffa.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8250_surf.git
>> platform/vendor/qcom/qsd8650a_st1x.git
>>
>> Therefore, here are couple of questions come up with:
>> 1> What do FFA, SURF and Fusion for MSM/QSD stand for, individually?
>
> The simple answer is that MSM/QSD are the names of the Qualcomm SoC,
> such as MSM8660.  There was one family that used the QSD prefix
> (8250/8660), but these are otherwise just part of the family.
>
> Terms such as FFA, SURF, and Fusion are names of particular boards
> that use these chips.  These are generally dev boards, and
> unfortunately, most are not readily available.  The SURF is usually a
> larger dev-board, whereas the other targets are usually a smaller form
> factor.
>
> David
>
> --
> Sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
> The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum.

* Re: Terms of MSM/QSD in QAEP
@ 2012-03-05 16:35     ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2012-03-05 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Omlin; +Cc: linux-arm-msm

On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 10:51:40AM +0800, Samuel Omlin wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Thank you for your reply quickly.
>
> As far as I can know, all parts after the name of chipset (like
> msm7630) indicate that what case the chipset is applied to. Let's say,
> CSFB short for Circuit Switch Fall Back in the naming of xxxxxx_csfb
> means being with the functionality of LTE in the modem side for the
> chipset. In other words, it is exactly available when required to
> support LTE on the air. Note that xxxxxxx here stands for chipset name
> that looks something like msm7630.
>
> So, all i would like to know is what situations those "fusion" and
> "surf" and "ffa" for chipesets like msm7630  are applied tor,
> separately. That's it.

They are the names of particular boards that have the msm7630 chip on
them.  My guess is that they would be used when building for that
specific target.

David