* RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-22 19:24 John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-03-22 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Greetings!

For the past several years, Linux wireless LAN developers have held
"mini-summit" events to bring us together face-to-face.  This has
helped us to develop better working relationships with one and another
and to resolve certain issues that would have been much more difficult
to resolve strictly over email and IRC.

For some time we have discussed combining these events with similar
gatherings of Bluetooth developers.  Now that NFC has an in-kernel
Linux presence, it makes sense to include them as well.  So, we
are hoping to have a joint mini-summit event along the lines of the
KVM Forum or the Linux File System, Storage, and Memory Management
Summit events.

A number of wireless developers reside in Europe, but our last few
meetings have been held in North America.  So, there is a strong desire
to have a European location for this event.  Initial contact with the
Linux Foundation suggests that we can co-locate this event with the
LinuxCon Europe event in Barcelona this November.  Other suggestions
are welcome as well, of course.

If we join the LinuxCon Europe event, we would need to decide how to
fund the event.  One option would be to charge a separate entry fee for
the mini-summit event, seperate from the LinuxCon EU fee.  Those that
do not wish to attend LinuxCon EU may find that attractive.  OTOH,
in the past we have simply said that all the mini-summit attendees
had to register for the sponsoring event.  That has worked reasonably
well, especially since event speakers would be eligible to attend
the mini-summit for no fee.  I would lean toward keeping that approach.

Given the potential to expand this into a larger event, we would
likely need to be somewhat more formal about having proposals for
speaking slots.  In that case, we might require a program committee
for reviewing proposals, etc.  Anyone interested in participating in
speaking at the mini-summit or in reviewing speaking proposals should
contact me or reply in this thread.

Well, that's about it -- let's kick this off!

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-23 15:29 ` Samuel Ortiz
From: Samuel Ortiz @ 2012-03-23 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Hi John,

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:24 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> A number of wireless developers reside in Europe, but our last few
> meetings have been held in North America.  So, there is a strong desire
> to have a European location for this event.  Initial contact with the
> Linux Foundation suggests that we can co-locate this event with the
> LinuxCon Europe event in Barcelona this November.  Other suggestions
> are welcome as well, of course.
Barcelona sounds really good to me.

> If we join the LinuxCon Europe event, we would need to decide how to
> fund the event.  One option would be to charge a separate entry fee for
> the mini-summit event, seperate from the LinuxCon EU fee.  Those that
> do not wish to attend LinuxCon EU may find that attractive.  OTOH,
> in the past we have simply said that all the mini-summit attendees
> had to register for the sponsoring event.  That has worked reasonably
> well, especially since event speakers would be eligible to attend
> the mini-summit for no fee.  I would lean toward keeping that approach.
I agree here as well.

> Given the potential to expand this into a larger event, we would
> likely need to be somewhat more formal about having proposals for
> speaking slots.  In that case, we might require a program committee
> for reviewing proposals, etc.  Anyone interested in participating in
> speaking at the mini-summit or in reviewing speaking proposals should
> contact me or reply in this thread.
I can do an NFC talk. It would probably make sense to do a generic
presentation about the NFC kernel and userspace architecture, since this
is the first wireless summit where we have a kernel supporting NFC.

Cheers,
Samuel.

* Re: RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-25 16:41   ` Gustavo Padovan
From: Gustavo Padovan @ 2012-03-25 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Ortiz; +Cc: John W. Linville, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Hi John,

* Samuel Ortiz <samuel@sortiz.org> [2012-03-23 16:29:38 +0100]:

> Hi John,
>
> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 15:24 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > A number of wireless developers reside in Europe, but our last few
> > meetings have been held in North America.  So, there is a strong desire
> > to have a European location for this event.  Initial contact with the
> > Linux Foundation suggests that we can co-locate this event with the
> > LinuxCon Europe event in Barcelona this November.  Other suggestions
> > are welcome as well, of course.
> Barcelona sounds really good to me.

I agree with Barcelona too. If you wanna help to coordinate this with Linux
Foundation count on me. :)

> > If we join the LinuxCon Europe event, we would need to decide how to
> > fund the event.  One option would be to charge a separate entry fee for
> > the mini-summit event, seperate from the LinuxCon EU fee.  Those that
> > do not wish to attend LinuxCon EU may find that attractive.  OTOH,
> > in the past we have simply said that all the mini-summit attendees
> > had to register for the sponsoring event.  That has worked reasonably
> > well, especially since event speakers would be eligible to attend
> > the mini-summit for no fee.  I would lean toward keeping that approach.
> I agree here as well.

+1 to keep that approach, if this summit becomes bigger in the future we can
change it.

	Gustavo

* Re: RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-25 18:03 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2012-03-25 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Hi John,

> For the past several years, Linux wireless LAN developers have held
> "mini-summit" events to bring us together face-to-face.  This has
> helped us to develop better working relationships with one and another
> and to resolve certain issues that would have been much more difficult
> to resolve strictly over email and IRC.
>
> For some time we have discussed combining these events with similar
> gatherings of Bluetooth developers.  Now that NFC has an in-kernel
> Linux presence, it makes sense to include them as well.  So, we
> are hoping to have a joint mini-summit event along the lines of the
> KVM Forum or the Linux File System, Storage, and Memory Management
> Summit events.
>
> A number of wireless developers reside in Europe, but our last few
> meetings have been held in North America.  So, there is a strong desire
> to have a European location for this event.  Initial contact with the
> Linux Foundation suggests that we can co-locate this event with the
> LinuxCon Europe event in Barcelona this November.  Other suggestions
> are welcome as well, of course.

my vote clearly goes for Barcelona.

> If we join the LinuxCon Europe event, we would need to decide how to
> fund the event.  One option would be to charge a separate entry fee for
> the mini-summit event, seperate from the LinuxCon EU fee.  Those that
> do not wish to attend LinuxCon EU may find that attractive.  OTOH,
> in the past we have simply said that all the mini-summit attendees
> had to register for the sponsoring event.  That has worked reasonably
> well, especially since event speakers would be eligible to attend
> the mini-summit for no fee.  I would lean toward keeping that approach.

I am in favor of requiring attendees to register with the LinuxCon
event. That has always worked out nicely for everybody. Especially if we
want to have extra rooms for breakout sessions. Otherwise we have to
figure out the room costs.

Unless some company wants to step up and sponsor. Or sponsor a dinner
event and get free attendance. I think we can figure something out to
make this work if anybody is interested ;)

> Given the potential to expand this into a larger event, we would
> likely need to be somewhat more formal about having proposals for
> speaking slots.  In that case, we might require a program committee
> for reviewing proposals, etc.  Anyone interested in participating in
> speaking at the mini-summit or in reviewing speaking proposals should
> contact me or reply in this thread.

When you and I talked originally about this, we discussed the format a
little bit. In theory we have a bunch of options here. One of the
original thoughts was 1-2 day mini-conference and 1 day break-out
sessions. I assume 6 presentation per day is maximum. Is it enough to
just do 1 day?

Any other thoughts?

And while we are at it I am volunteering myself (or someone from our
team) to give the "Bluetooth: State of the Union" talk.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-26 14:54   ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-03-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:03:05AM -0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> I am in favor of requiring attendees to register with the LinuxCon
> event. That has always worked out nicely for everybody. Especially if we
> want to have extra rooms for breakout sessions. Otherwise we have to
> figure out the room costs.
>
> Unless some company wants to step up and sponsor. Or sponsor a dinner
> event and get free attendance. I think we can figure something out to
> make this work if anybody is interested ;)

Sponsorship is always welcome, of course. :-)

> > Given the potential to expand this into a larger event, we would
> > likely need to be somewhat more formal about having proposals for
> > speaking slots.  In that case, we might require a program committee
> > for reviewing proposals, etc.  Anyone interested in participating in
> > speaking at the mini-summit or in reviewing speaking proposals should
> > contact me or reply in this thread.
>
> When you and I talked originally about this, we discussed the format a
> little bit. In theory we have a bunch of options here. One of the
> original thoughts was 1-2 day mini-conference and 1 day break-out
> sessions. I assume 6 presentation per day is maximum. Is it enough to
> just do 1 day?

I don't think that 1 day is enough.  2 might not be enough, depending
on how we stage it.  Do you think that we would have more than one
"track" (e.g. separate Blueooth/802.11/NFC sessions)?  A single
"plenary" session?  Or some mix?

> Any other thoughts?
>
> And while we are at it I am volunteering myself (or someone from our
> team) to give the "Bluetooth: State of the Union" talk.

Cool.

@ 2012-03-26 15:15     ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2012-03-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Hi John,

> > > Given the potential to expand this into a larger event, we would
> > > likely need to be somewhat more formal about having proposals for
> > > speaking slots.  In that case, we might require a program committee
> > > for reviewing proposals, etc.  Anyone interested in participating in
> > > speaking at the mini-summit or in reviewing speaking proposals should
> > > contact me or reply in this thread.
> >
> > When you and I talked originally about this, we discussed the format a
> > little bit. In theory we have a bunch of options here. One of the
> > original thoughts was 1-2 day mini-conference and 1 day break-out
> > sessions. I assume 6 presentation per day is maximum. Is it enough to
> > just do 1 day?
>
> I don't think that 1 day is enough.  2 might not be enough, depending
> on how we stage it.  Do you think that we would have more than one
> "track" (e.g. separate Blueooth/802.11/NFC sessions)?  A single
> "plenary" session?  Or some mix?

so what about 2 days single track and 1 day with breakout sessions. So
we could do 12 talks with morning and afternoon sessions on the 3rd day
as needed.

If we have many proposals for presentations, we can always go switch to
2 tracks. If we require LinuxCon registration, then it should be no
problem to get a second room. If not, I have to negotiate with Angela
next week ;)

Regards

Marcel

* Re: RFC/CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona?)
@ 2012-03-26 15:25       ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-03-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 05:15:06PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> > I don't think that 1 day is enough.  2 might not be enough, depending
> > on how we stage it.  Do you think that we would have more than one
> > "track" (e.g. separate Blueooth/802.11/NFC sessions)?  A single
> > "plenary" session?  Or some mix?
>
> so what about 2 days single track and 1 day with breakout sessions. So
> we could do 12 talks with morning and afternoon sessions on the 3rd day
> as needed.
>
> If we have many proposals for presentations, we can always go switch to
> 2 tracks. If we require LinuxCon registration, then it should be no
> problem to get a second room. If not, I have to negotiate with Angela
> next week ;)

My only concern is filling the number of slots.  Will we have 12+
presentation poposals?

linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-04-27 17:44         ` John W. Linville
                             ` (4 more replies)
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-04-27 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth, alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:25:42AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 05:15:06PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
> > > I don't think that 1 day is enough.  2 might not be enough, depending
> > > on how we stage it.  Do you think that we would have more than one
> > > "track" (e.g. separate Blueooth/802.11/NFC sessions)?  A single
> > > "plenary" session?  Or some mix?
> >
> > so what about 2 days single track and 1 day with breakout sessions. So
> > we could do 12 talks with morning and afternoon sessions on the 3rd day
> > as needed.
> >
> > If we have many proposals for presentations, we can always go switch to
> > 2 tracks. If we require LinuxCon registration, then it should be no
> > problem to get a second room. If not, I have to negotiate with Angela
> > next week ;)
>
> My only concern is filling the number of slots.  Will we have 12+
> presentation poposals?

Just to keep the ball rolling...

Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
KVM Forum at the same venue.

Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
start thinking... :-)

Thanks,

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-04-27 21:40             ` Andrei Emeltchenko
                               ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrei Emeltchenko @ 2012-04-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

Hi guys,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)

I propose to talk about Software / Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller (softamp).
It can be implemented through wireless stack in mac80211.

AMP is Alternate MAC/PHYs Controller for Bluetooth sybsystem.
When an AMP is common between the two devices, the Bluetooth system
provides mechanisms for moving data traffic from BR/EDR Controller to
an AMP Controller.

I've recently posted RFC which implement some functionality and can be used
as example of interfaces.

Regards,
Andrei

From: Andrei Emeltchenko @ 2012-04-27 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

Hi guys,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:44 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> Now, we need some talk proposals! =A0Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks. =A0I would
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)

I propose to talk about Software / Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller (softam=
p).
It can be implemented through wireless stack in mac80211.

AMP is Alternate MAC/PHYs Controller for Bluetooth sybsystem.
When an AMP is common between the two devices, the Bluetooth system
provides mechanisms for moving data traffic from BR/EDR Controller to
an AMP Controller.

I've recently posted RFC which implement some functionality and can be used
as example of interfaces.

Regards,
Andrei

* Re: CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-04-27 22:30             ` Joao Paulo Rechi Vita
                               ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joao Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2012-04-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:

>> > so what about 2 days single track and 1 day with breakout sessions. So
>> > we could do 12 talks with morning and afternoon sessions on the 3rd day
>> > as needed.
>> >
>> > If we have many proposals for presentations, we can always go switch to
>> > 2 tracks. If we require LinuxCon registration, then it should be no
>> > problem to get a second room. If not, I have to negotiate with Angela
>> > next week ;)
>>
>> My only concern is filling the number of slots.  Will we have 12+
>> presentation poposals?
>
> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>
> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>
> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)

We from INdT can talk about the current status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE.

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
Openbossa Labs - INdT

From: Joao Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2012-04-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:44 PM, John W. Linville
<linville@tuxdriver.com> wrote:

>> > so what about 2 days single track and 1 day with breakout sessions. So
>> > we could do 12 talks with morning and afternoon sessions on the 3rd da=
>> > as needed.
>> >
>> > If we have many proposals for presentations, we can always go switch t=
>> > 2 tracks. If we require LinuxCon registration, then it should be no
>> > problem to get a second room. If not, I have to negotiate with Angela
>> > next week ;)
>>
>> My only concern is filling the number of slots. =C2=A0Will we have 12+
>> presentation poposals?
>
> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>
> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>
> Now, we need some talk proposals! =C2=A0Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks. =C2=A0I wou=
ld
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)

We from INdT can talk about the current status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE.

--=20
Jo=C3=A3o Paulo Rechi Vita
Openbossa Labs - INdT

* Re: CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-04-28  5:58           ` Alexander Smirnov
From: Alexander Smirnov @ 2012-04-28  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth

Hi colleagues,

On 04/27/2012 09:44 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>
> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>
> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

 From my site I can have a talk about IEEE 802.15.4 Linux stack
implementation and IPv6 networking over such a networks, i.e. 6lowpan.

--
With best regards,
Alexander Smirnov

* Re: CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-14  7:18           ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2012-05-14  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 13:44 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.

FWIW, I will not be able to attend.

johannes

* Re: CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-05-14 13:14             ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-05-14 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Berg
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 09:18:44AM +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 13:44 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> > Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
>
> FWIW, I will not be able to attend.

Yeah, I was afraid that would be the case -- I'm sorry.  But, I hope
that this will motivate others in the group to step-up with discussion
topics and/or presentations.

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* 2nd CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
                             ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-07-23 19:20           ` John W. Linville
                               ` (4 more replies)
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-07-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth, alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:44:39PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>
> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>
> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> start thinking... :-)

Still a while to go, but this event is getting closer.  I would love to
see some more concrete topic proposals for talks, both presentations
and discussions.

Here is what I've seen so far:

Speaker				Topic
-------				-----
Joao Paulo Rechi Vita		status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE
Andrei Emeltchenko		Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller for mac80211
Alexander Smirnov		802.15.4 stack, 6lowpan

Not bad, but I'd like to see some more!  Some ideas:

	-- "state of the union" for bluetooth, nfc, 802.11
	-- wireless mesh networking status updates
	-- cfg80211/mac80211 feature previews (what's coming?)
	-- standards bodies reports (802.11, 802.15.x)
	-- important or unusual use cases (e.g. Freifunk, Internet of Things)
	-- userland wireless management apps (NetworkManager, connman)
	-- wireless-oriented (or wireless-specific) applications
	-- issues with managing a wireless networking sub-tree
	-- long-term support for legacy hardware (Intel?  Atheros?)
	-- driver projects without hardware vendor support?
	-- staging driver migration?  out-of-tree driver merging?
	-- ???

I'm sure there are worthwhile topics that I didn't suggest yet --
feel free to suggest your own!  And if you can address one of those
topics or one of your own, please reply either to this thread or
directly to me.

Please note -- you do not necessarily to be a kernel developer (or a
developer at all) to merit a speaking slot!  Anyone with a topic to
propose will receive appropriate consideration.

So, let's hear it! :-)

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: 2nd CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-07-23 20:04             ` Johannes Berg
                               ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Johannes Berg @ 2012-07-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 15:20 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:

> Not bad, but I'd like to see some more!  Some ideas:
>
> 	-- "state of the union" for bluetooth, nfc, 802.11
> 	-- wireless mesh networking status updates
> 	-- cfg80211/mac80211 feature previews (what's coming?)
> 	-- standards bodies reports (802.11, 802.15.x)
> 	-- important or unusual use cases (e.g. Freifunk, Internet of Things)
> 	-- userland wireless management apps (NetworkManager, connman)
> 	-- wireless-oriented (or wireless-specific) applications
> 	-- issues with managing a wireless networking sub-tree
> 	-- long-term support for legacy hardware (Intel?  Atheros?)
> 	-- driver projects without hardware vendor support?
> 	-- staging driver migration?  out-of-tree driver merging?
> 	-- ???

I'd add

	-- state of P2P/Wi-Fi Direct application stack

I'm not volunteering, though it could be pretty simple: "there's
none" :-(

Unless somebody knows more than I do?

johannes

* Re: 2nd CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-07-24  9:21             ` Daniel Wagner
                               ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2012-07-24  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,

On 23.07.2012 21:20, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:44:39PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
>> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>>
>> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
>> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
>> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
>> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>>
>> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
>> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
>> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
>> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
>> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
>> start thinking... :-)
>
> Still a while to go, but this event is getting closer.  I would love to
> see some more concrete topic proposals for talks, both presentations
> and discussions.
>
> Here is what I've seen so far:
>
> Speaker				Topic
> -------				-----
> Joao Paulo Rechi Vita		status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE
> Andrei Emeltchenko		Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller for mac80211
> Alexander Smirnov		802.15.4 stack, 6lowpan
>
> Not bad, but I'd like to see some more!  Some ideas:
>
> 	-- "state of the union" for bluetooth, nfc, 802.11
> 	-- wireless mesh networking status updates
> 	-- cfg80211/mac80211 feature previews (what's coming?)
> 	-- standards bodies reports (802.11, 802.15.x)
> 	-- important or unusual use cases (e.g. Freifunk, Internet of Things)
> 	-- userland wireless management apps (NetworkManager, connman)

I could give a short overview what we do in ConnMan.

cheers,
daniel

* RE: 2nd CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-07-25  9:20               ` Smirnov, Alexander
                                 ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Smirnov, Alexander @ 2012-07-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville, Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth, Sobolev, Sergey

Dear colleagues,

could you please exclude Sergey Sobolev from this thread, I just wanted to inform him about this event, but not to participate in these discussions. That was my fault.

Sergey, sorry for that.

With best regards,
Alexander

From: Smirnov, Alexander @ 2012-07-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville, Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth, Sobolev, Sergey

@ 2012-07-25  9:36             ` Samuel Ortiz
From: Samuel Ortiz @ 2012-07-25  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Sergey.Sobolev, Ilan Elias

Hi John,

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 15:20 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:44:39PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > Just to keep the ball rolling...
> >
> > Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> > Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> > Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> > KVM Forum at the same venue.
> >
> > Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> > contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> > love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> > about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> > It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> > start thinking... :-)
>
> Still a while to go, but this event is getting closer.  I would love to
> see some more concrete topic proposals for talks, both presentations
> and discussions.
>
> Here is what I've seen so far:
>
> Speaker				Topic
> -------				-----
> Joao Paulo Rechi Vita		status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE
> Andrei Emeltchenko		Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller for mac80211
> Alexander Smirnov		802.15.4 stack, 6lowpan
I think I proposed to do an NFC state of the union talk there. I'm still in if that's Ok with you.
Ilan Elias volunteered as a co-presenter. He will focus on the NCI status.

Cheers,
Samuel.

* Re: 2nd CFP -- Linux Wireless (802.11/Bluetooth/NFC) Mini-Summit 2012 (Barcelona!)
@ 2012-07-25 12:37               ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2012-07-25 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Ortiz
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,
	alexander.smirnov, Ilan Elias

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:36:59AM +0200, Samuel Ortiz wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 15:20 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:44:39PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> >
> > > Just to keep the ball rolling...
> > >
> > > Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
> > > Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
> > > Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
> > > KVM Forum at the same venue.
> > >
> > > Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
> > > contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
> > > love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
> > > about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
> > > It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
> > > start thinking... :-)
> >
> > Still a while to go, but this event is getting closer.  I would love to
> > see some more concrete topic proposals for talks, both presentations
> > and discussions.
> >
> > Here is what I've seen so far:
> >
> > Speaker				Topic
> > -------				-----
> > Joao Paulo Rechi Vita		status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE
> > Andrei Emeltchenko		Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller for mac80211
> > Alexander Smirnov		802.15.4 stack, 6lowpan
> I think I proposed to do an NFC state of the union talk there. I'm still in if that's Ok with you.
> Ilan Elias volunteered as a co-presenter. He will focus on the NCI status.

Cool...that sounds great!

@ 2012-07-25 22:55             ` Nick Kossifidis
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2012-07-25 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville
  Cc: Marcel Holtmann, linux-wireless, linux-bluetooth,

2012/7/23 John W. Linville <linville@tuxdriver.com>:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 01:44:39PM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>
>> Just to keep the ball rolling...
>>
>> Angela has reserved space for us at the Hotel Fira
>> Palace for the Wireless Summit on Thurs, Nov 8th and Fri, Nov 9th.
>> Please note that this will overlap Yocto Dev Days, oVirt Summit and
>> KVM Forum at the same venue.
>>
>> Now, we need some talk proposals!  Please post in this thread (or
>> contact me or Marcel directly if necessary) to propose talks.  I would
>> love to see any topics on any relevant technologies, as well as topics
>> about how the projects are being managed, new sub-projects, etc.
>> It seems like a long time away right now, but it is a good time to
>> start thinking... :-)
>
> Still a while to go, but this event is getting closer.  I would love to
> see some more concrete topic proposals for talks, both presentations
> and discussions.
>
> Here is what I've seen so far:
>
> Speaker                         Topic
> -------                         -----
> Joao Paulo Rechi Vita           status and roadmap of Bluetooth LE
> Andrei Emeltchenko              Virtual Bluetooth AMP Controller for mac80211
> Alexander Smirnov               802.15.4 stack, 6lowpan
>
> Not bad, but I'd like to see some more!  Some ideas:
>
>         -- "state of the union" for bluetooth, nfc, 802.11
>         -- wireless mesh networking status updates
>         -- cfg80211/mac80211 feature previews (what's coming?)
>         -- standards bodies reports (802.11, 802.15.x)
>         -- important or unusual use cases (e.g. Freifunk, Internet of Things)
>         -- userland wireless management apps (NetworkManager, connman)
>         -- wireless-oriented (or wireless-specific) applications
>         -- issues with managing a wireless networking sub-tree
>         -- long-term support for legacy hardware (Intel?  Atheros?)
>         -- driver projects without hardware vendor support?
>         -- staging driver migration?  out-of-tree driver merging?
>         -- ???
>
> I'm sure there are worthwhile topics that I didn't suggest yet --
> feel free to suggest your own!  And if you can address one of those
> topics or one of your own, please reply either to this thread or
> directly to me.
>
> Please note -- you do not necessarily to be a kernel developer (or a
> developer at all) to merit a speaking slot!  Anyone with a topic to
> propose will receive appropriate consideration.
>
> So, let's hear it! :-)
>
> John
> --
> John W. Linville                Someday the world will need a hero, and you
> linville@tuxdriver.com                  might be all we have.  Be ready.

Since this time the summit is in Europe I'll try to make it there, if
I do I 'd like to give a talk on wireless community networks and the
work we 've done so far. In Barcelona we have the largest wireless
community network worldwide with over 10.000 nodes called Guifi.net
(Athens comes next with awmn, check it out  @ wind.awmn.net -more than
2.500 nodes, in 2002 I set up the first rooftop-pc there :P) so it'll
be great if we could arrange a meeting or a tour or something.

Anyway what I'd like to do is give you an idea on how our code is
being used not only to create huge wireless community networks around
the world (in 2009 we had the International Summit for Community
Wireless Networks in Vienna and the next one is in Barcelona on
October, more infos here -> http://wirelesssummit.org/) but also on
research, activism etc.

Also I'd like to give you some updates on how spectrum policies evolve
and what we are trying to do on OSA (that's Open Spectrum Alliance
http://www.openspectrum.eu/drupal6/) to get more free spectrum to play
with.

--
GPG ID: 0xEE878588
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)