* Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 11:17 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-03-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

A number of times when I've sent patches to the list via 'git send-email',
they seem to never arrive.  How can I figure out where they are going?

For example, a short time ago I sent a pair of patches - here's the
log as printed by 'git send-email'

$ git send-email --to openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org -cc=gary@mlbassoc.com --subject-prefix=meta-oe origin/master
/tmp/ENcQFw9ulr/0001-python-twisted-update-to-latest-upstream-version.patch
/tmp/ENcQFw9ulr/0002-python-zopeinterface-update-to-latest-upstream-versi.patch
Who should the emails appear to be from? [Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>]
Emails will be sent from: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
Message-ID to be used as In-Reply-To for the first email?
(mbox) Adding cc: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> from line 'From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>'
(body) Adding cc: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> from line 'Signed-off-by: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>'

From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Cc: gary@mlbassoc.com
Subject: [meta-oe 1/2] python-twisted: update to latest upstream version
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 04:57:29 -0600

     The Cc list above has been expanded by additional
     addresses found in the patch commit message. By default
     send-email prompts before sending whenever this occurs.
     This behavior is controlled by the sendemail.confirm
     configuration setting.

     For additional information, run 'git send-email --help'.
     To retain the current behavior, but squelch this message,
     run 'git config --global sendemail.confirm auto'.

Send this email? ([y]es|[n]o|[q]uit|[a]ll): a
OK. Log says:
Sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail -i openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org gary@mlbassoc.com
From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Cc: gary@mlbassoc.com
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 04:57:29 -0600

Result: OK
In git 1.7.0, the default has changed to --no-chain-reply-to
Set sendemail.chainreplyto configuration variable to true if
you want to keep --chain-reply-to as your default.
From: Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
To: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Cc: gary@mlbassoc.com
Subject: [meta-oe 2/2] python-zopeinterface: update to latest upstream version
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 04:57:30 -0600

Result: OK

Any ideas where these messages went or how I make sure my posts
are making it to the list?

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 11:26 ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2012-03-29 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi Gary,

On 29.03.2012 13:17, Gary Thomas wrote:
> A number of times when I've sent patches to the list via 'git send-email',
> they seem to never arrive.  How can I figure out where they are going?

your patches arrived. You can find submitted patches in OE's patchwork
installation [1] or in the mailing list archive [2] some minutes after
they have been sent.

Regards,
Andreas

[1] http://patches.openembedded.org/patch/24811/
    http://patches.openembedded.org/patch/24813/

[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 11:36   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-03-29 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 2012-03-29 05:26, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On 29.03.2012 13:17, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> A number of times when I've sent patches to the list via 'git send-email',
>> they seem to never arrive.  How can I figure out where they are going?
>
> your patches arrived. You can find submitted patches in OE's patchwork
> installation [1] or in the mailing list archive [2] some minutes after
> they have been sent.

That's good to hear, but why am I not seeing them on the list?

Also, I did send these same patches last week (I still had the same
command line in the same window as I used today!) and they did not
make it to patchwork at all.  These were sent 2012-03-23 15:30 GMT +/-

@ 2012-03-29 11:53     ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2012-03-29 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello.

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 05:36, Gary Thomas wrote:
> On 2012-03-29 05:26, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> >
> >On 29.03.2012 13:17, Gary Thomas wrote:
> >>A number of times when I've sent patches to the list via 'git send-email',
> >>they seem to never arrive.  How can I figure out where they are going?
> >
> >your patches arrived. You can find submitted patches in OE's patchwork
> >installation [1] or in the mailing list archive [2] some minutes after
> >they have been sent.
>
> That's good to hear, but why am I not seeing them on the list?

If you have been on the CC list, IIRC default option in git
send-email, it is likely that mailman has just dropped you from the
receiver list for these mails as you already got it in CC thus
avoiding duplicates. Something that can be configured in
mailman if desired.

regards
Stefan Schmidt

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 12:31     ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2012-03-29 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 2012-03-29 05:26, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> On 29.03.2012 13:17, Gary Thomas wrote:
>>>
>>> A number of times when I've sent patches to the list via 'git
>>> send-email',
>>> they seem to never arrive.  How can I figure out where they are going?
>>

>> your patches arrived. You can find submitted patches in OE's patchwork
>> installation [1] or in the mailing list archive [2] some minutes after
>> they have been sent.
>

> That's good to hear, but why am I not seeing them on the list?

maybe because the mailing list server knows they were sent by you
and/or you are on cc so it doesn't send them again?

Enrico

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 12:42       ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2012-03-29 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 2012-03-29 05:53, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 05:36, Gary Thomas wrote:

>>> your patches arrived. You can find submitted patches in OE's patchwork
>>> installation [1] or in the mailing list archive [2] some minutes after
>>> they have been sent.
>>
>> That's good to hear, but why am I not seeing them on the list?
>
> If you have been on the CC list, IIRC default option in git
> send-email, it is likely that mailman has just dropped you from the
> receiver list for these mails as you already got it in CC thus
> avoiding duplicates. Something that can be configured in
> mailman if desired.

I don't see any way to adjust this on this list - there doesn't
seem to be a "my account settings" link on the info page.

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 12:57         ` Eric Bénard
From: Eric Bénard @ 2012-03-29 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Le Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:42:40 -0600,
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> a écrit :
> I don't see any way to adjust this on this list - there doesn't
> seem to be a "my account settings" link on the info page.

you can add  --suppress-cc=self to you git send-email command

Eric

--
http://eukrea.com/en/news/104-2012

* Re: Where are my patches going?
@ 2012-03-29 13:27           ` Stefan Schmidt
From: Stefan Schmidt @ 2012-03-29 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hello.

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 14:57, Eric Bénard wrote:
> Le Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:42:40 -0600,
> Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> a écrit :
> > I don't see any way to adjust this on this list - there doesn't
> > seem to be a "my account settings" link on the info page.

Its an global admin option not user specific IIRC. Sorry for not being
clear about it.

> you can add  --suppress-cc=self to you git send-email command

That would work if he does not want them in his normal inbox but
appearing only on the list.

regards
Stefan Schmidt