* nvidia gt 545 and nouveau
@ 2012-04-05  0:25 Daniel Wallace
From: Daniel Wallace @ 2012-04-05  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

I have 2 monitors plugged into the same nvidia card
(running nouveau) one can be either DVI-I or VGA(vga right now) and the
other is hdmi, right now, I am just trying to get the monitors to not
be clones of each other and to be side by side. When i do xrandr
--output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --auto --right-of HDMI-1, the
whole screen freezes with the mouse in between the 2 monitors and I
can't do anything except kill the power and reboot, Anyone have any
ideas where to start, because I have looked for several hours now and I
can't find anything that would be causing this issue.

What happens when It freezes is the mouse literally gets stuck in
between the two screens (half on either screen) and since I am unable
to do any commands with the keyboard I can't take a screen shot.  I
would really like to be able to use nouveau and xrandr, because I don't
really want to use Xinerama with the proprietary drivers because then I
am unable to use compositing.

Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel Wallace

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* Re: nvidia gt 545 and nouveau
@ 2012-04-05  6:46 ` Maarten Maathuis
       [not found]   ` <CAGZ4FES5fKnRSDVR6f9rLwKuHMr-57-8nWX5UOyeQzvDNo+bMA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Maarten Maathuis @ 2012-04-05  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wallace; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Daniel Wallace
<daniel.wallace-/4noJB3qBVQ3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have 2 monitors plugged into the same nvidia card
> (running nouveau) one can be either DVI-I or VGA(vga right now) and the
> other is hdmi, right now, I am just trying to get the monitors to not
> be clones of each other and to be side by side. When i do xrandr
> --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --auto --right-of HDMI-1, the
> whole screen freezes with the mouse in between the 2 monitors and I
> can't do anything except kill the power and reboot, Anyone have any
> ideas where to start, because I have looked for several hours now and I
> can't find anything that would be causing this issue.
>
> What happens when It freezes is the mouse literally gets stuck in
> between the two screens (half on either screen) and since I am unable
> to do any commands with the keyboard I can't take a screen shot.  I
> would really like to be able to use nouveau and xrandr, because I don't
> really want to use Xinerama with the proprietary drivers because then I
> am unable to use compositing.
>
> Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel Wallace

What happens if you want to set the framebuffer size to the size of
your two monitors combined?

1280x1024+1280x1024 would be:
xrandr --fb 2560x1024

Afterwards xrandr should say "current 2560x1024" somewhere at the
beginning of it's output.

I assume your two monitors work in clone, so i i'm wondering if it's
the framebuffer allocation that causes the problem.

--
Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.

* Re: nvidia gt 545 and nouveau
       [not found]   ` <CAGZ4FES5fKnRSDVR6f9rLwKuHMr-57-8nWX5UOyeQzvDNo+bMA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2012-04-05  8:24     ` Daniel Wallace
From: Daniel Wallace @ 2012-04-05  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maarten Maathuis; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:46:01AM +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Daniel Wallace
> <daniel.wallace-/4noJB3qBVQ3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I have 2 monitors plugged into the same nvidia card
> > (running nouveau) one can be either DVI-I or VGA(vga right now) and the
> > other is hdmi, right now, I am just trying to get the monitors to not
> > be clones of each other and to be side by side. When i do xrandr
> > --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --auto --right-of HDMI-1, the
> > whole screen freezes with the mouse in between the 2 monitors and I
> > can't do anything except kill the power and reboot, Anyone have any
> > ideas where to start, because I have looked for several hours now and I
> > can't find anything that would be causing this issue.
> >
> > What happens when It freezes is the mouse literally gets stuck in
> > between the two screens (half on either screen) and since I am unable
> > to do any commands with the keyboard I can't take a screen shot.  I
> > would really like to be able to use nouveau and xrandr, because I don't
> > really want to use Xinerama with the proprietary drivers because then I
> > am unable to use compositing.
> >
> > Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Daniel Wallace

> What happens if you want to set the framebuffer size to the size of
> your two monitors combined?
>
> 1280x1024+1280x1024 would be:
> xrandr --fb 2560x1024
>
> Afterwards xrandr should say "current 2560x1024" somewhere at the
> beginning of it's output.
>
> I assume your two monitors work in clone, so i i'm wondering if it's
> the framebuffer allocation that causes the problem.
>
> --
> Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
> river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.

with xrandr --fb 3840x1080 then
xrandr --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --right-of HDMI-1

it now shows both screens, and everything looks fine, except for the
fact that the mouse is on the border of both screens, half on both and
I can't move it or have any keyboard actions, just have to reboot the
computer

@ 2012-04-05 22:36       ` Daniel Wallace
From: Daniel Wallace @ 2012-04-05 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wallace; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

here are my some logs if anyone is interested
Xorg.0.log http://sprunge.us/CIgO?text
dmesg http://sprunge.us/cegQ?text

and
Xorg.0.log after applying this patch
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.devel/29650

http://sprunge.us/LMjV?text

here is all the information I get from inxi -F
http://sprunge.us/TOef
any help would be appreciated,
Thank you,
Daniel Wallace

@ 2012-04-06  5:51         ` Maarten Maathuis
From: Maarten Maathuis @ 2012-04-06  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Wallace; +Cc: nouveau-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Daniel Wallace
<daniel.wallace-/4noJB3qBVQ3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> here are my some logs if anyone is interested
> Xorg.0.log http://sprunge.us/CIgO?text
> dmesg http://sprunge.us/cegQ?text
>
> and
> Xorg.0.log after applying this patch
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg.devel/29650
>
> http://sprunge.us/LMjV?text
>

> here is all the information I get from inxi -F
> http://sprunge.us/TOef
> any help would be appreciated,
> Thank you,
> Daniel Wallace
>
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 04:24:46AM -0400, Daniel Wallace wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:46:01AM +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:

>> > What happens if you want to set the framebuffer size to the size of
>> > your two monitors combined?
>> >
>> > 1280x1024+1280x1024 would be:
>> > xrandr --fb 2560x1024
>> >
>> > Afterwards xrandr should say "current 2560x1024" somewhere at the
>> > beginning of it's output.
>> >
>> > I assume your two monitors work in clone, so i i'm wondering if it's
>> > the framebuffer allocation that causes the problem.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Far away from the primal instinct, the song seems to fade away, the
>> > river get wider between your thoughts and the things we do and say.
>>
>> with xrandr --fb 3840x1080 then
>> xrandr --output HDMI-1 --pos 0x0 --output VGA-1 --right-of HDMI-1
>>
>> it now shows both screens, and everything looks fine, except for the
>> fact that the mouse is on the border of both screens, half on both and
>> I can't move it or have any keyboard actions, just have to reboot the
>> computer

Based on the xorg log this looks like some kind cursor/mouse/input
related bug. Its probably a good idea to try either the xorg
mailinglist or simply file a bug. You should do something like:

If you ask on the mailinglist i would put this ("BUG: triggered 'if
(!dev->valuator || dev->valuator->numAxes < 2)' BUG: getevents.c:845
in scale_to_desktop()") in the title, this hopefully triggers whoevers
knows what the problem could be to look at it.