* detecting case-insensitivity
@ 2012-04-07 14:00 J. Bruce Fields
From: J. Bruce Fields @ 2012-04-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xfs

Is there a generic way to detect whether a given filesystem is
case-insensitive?  If not, how should it be done?  (A bit in s_flags?)

(Somebody recently pointed out to me that NFSv4 has a "case_insensitive"
attribute, which we aren't currently returning a sensible value for.)

--b.

* Re: detecting case-insensitivity
@ 2012-04-09  5:01 Vyacheslav Dubeyko
From: Vyacheslav Dubeyko @ 2012-04-09  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner; +Cc: J. Bruce Fields, xfs

Initial message
> Subject: Re: detecting case-insensitivity
> From: Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com>
> Date: 09.04.2012 03.30
>
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 10:00:29AM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > Is there a generic way to detect whether a given filesystem is
> > case-insensitive?  If not, how should it be done?  (A bit in s_flags?)
>
> I don't think there is a generic flag for it. We could trivially add
> one, I think, as it is generally a fixed property for the entire
> filesystem....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave.
> --
> Dave Chinner
> david@fromorbit.com

But why does it need to detect that filesystem case-insensitive or not? In what use-case does it need to make such detection?

With the best regards,
Vyacheslav Dubeyko.
slava@dubeyko.com