* linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-11  5:11 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-04-11  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

Hi all,

After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
failed like this:

drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...

I have reverted that commit for today.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-11 13:35 ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2012-04-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sfr; +Cc: grant.likely, linux-next, linux-kernel, thomas.abraham

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>
> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...

If I had a nickel for every time an implicit dependency on CONFIG_OF_IRQ
was added to the tree... :-)

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-12  0:31 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-04-12  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>
> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
>
> I have reverted that commit for today.

That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.
--
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

@ 2012-04-12  0:35   ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-04-12  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
>> failed like this:
>>
>> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
>> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>>
>> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
>> for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
>>
>> I have reverted that commit for today.
>
> That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.

Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit.  There's nothing else in
there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
linux-next for the day.  The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
fixup for tomorrow.

g.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-12  0:44     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-04-12  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit.  There's nothing else in
> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
> linux-next for the day.  The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
> fixup for tomorrow.

Done (I used the tree from next-20120410 - which was empty).

--

@ 2012-04-17  3:23     ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-04-17  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> > Hi Grant,
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> >> failed like this:
> >>
> >> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> >> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> >>
> >> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> >> for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
> >>
> >> I have reverted that commit for today.
> >
> > That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.
>
> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit.  There's nothing else in
> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
> linux-next for the day.  The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
> fixup for tomorrow.

Ping?
--

@ 2012-04-17  3:39       ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-04-17  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> > Hi Grant,

>> > That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.
>>
>> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit.  There's nothing else in
>> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
>> linux-next for the day.  The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
>> fixup for tomorrow.
>
> Ping?

Haven't got it done yet.  It's still safe to ignore that tree.

g.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-17 22:39         ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-04-17 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> Hi Grant,

>>> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit.  There's nothing else in
>>> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
>>> linux-next for the day.  The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
>>> fixup for tomorrow.
>>
>> Ping?
>
> Haven't got it done yet.  It's still safe to ignore that tree.

Should be fixed now.

g.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2012-04-18  0:48           ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-04-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

Hi Grant,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:16 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:

> Should be fixed now.

Did you forget to push it out?

--

@ 2012-04-19 22:12             ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-04-19 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Thomas Abraham

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:48:19 +1000, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:16 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Should be fixed now.
>
> Did you forget to push it out?

Apparantly so.  Pushed out now.

g.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2011-08-04  9:41       ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2011-08-04  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Miller; +Cc: sfr, linux-next, linux-kernel, shawn.guo, torvalds

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
> In fact this points out that of_alias_scan() was only placed into one
> of the two FT unflattening sites, it needs to go into both as well as
> places that build the device tree from real OpenFirmware calls.  And
> that makes an even stronger argument for adding an allocator function
> pointer arg to this thing.

No argument from me here.  However, I completely broke sparc by
applying it so I needed to post an ASAP fix with the least possible
impact.  A followup patch for v3.2 would have be written to generalize
alias parsing for v3.2

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM, David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:
[...]
> So even though it is implicitly creating properties, it doesn't update
> the in-kernel device tree nor does it update the OpenFirmware
> etc. copy.
>
> This behvaior is undesirable and makes no sense.  This IMX serial
> driver merely wants increasing incrementing indexes for the serial
> nodes it finds, and there are much better ways to do that.

Rolling the assigned ids into the alias list was a convenient & cheap
way of making sure the id assigned would be unique, but fair enough.
Shawn and I will talk about implementing a better solution.

[...]
> This stuff needs more work, I would like to suggest that you just
> revert at this point.

Very well, I'll prepare a revert branch and ask Linus to pull.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.

* Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2011-08-04  8:17       ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-08-04  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grant.likely; +Cc: sfr, linux-next, linux-kernel, shawn.guo, torvalds

From: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

> I think this change was stillborn when you committed it and you should
> have reviewed it more thoroughly and pushed back.

I also took a look at the one driver that's using this new interface,
and I have more disagreements.

The alias lookup unconditionally creates new aliases for the given
node and passes back an integer ID.

So even though it is implicitly creating properties, it doesn't update
the in-kernel device tree nor does it update the OpenFirmware
etc. copy.

This behvaior is undesirable and makes no sense.  This IMX serial
driver merely wants increasing incrementing indexes for the serial
nodes it finds, and there are much better ways to do that.

It also wants to see if device tree aliases have explicit port
settings, and that's fine.  The new alias code can help it do this,
but it doesn't need to create new fake aliases in order to accomplish
that task.

@ 2011-08-04  7:13     ` David Miller
From: David Miller @ 2011-08-04  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grant.likely; +Cc: sfr, linux-next, linux-kernel, shawn.guo, torvalds

From: Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 07:59:56 +0100

> Pull my tree now; there is a fix in there.  I'm just emailing it now.

Ugh, Grant :-/

So now you have APIs for finding information in the in-kernel copy
of the device tree which are only available for flat DT platforms?

Don't do that, please.

It makes more sense instead to have this alias munger unconditionally
work on the in-kernel copy after the device tree has been imported,
and for all ways in which the tree can be imported.

Anything else leads to fragmented interfaces for device driver
writers.

The bug is that this of_alias_scan() thing doesn't get a pointer to an
allocator function.  It needs one just like the
__unflatten_device_tree() function does.

@ 2011-08-04  6:59   ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2011-08-04  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Shawn Guo, Linus

@ 2011-08-04  6:36 ` Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2011-08-04  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Shawn Guo, Linus

Hi All,

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:28:58 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/built-in.o: In function `of_alias_scan':
> (.init.text+0x6074): undefined reference to `early_init_dt_alloc_memory_arch'
>
> Caused by commit 750f463a749e ("dt: add of_alias_scan and of_alias_get_id").
>
> I have reverted that patch for today.

And that commit has now gone into Linus' tree :-(
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 490 bytes --]

* linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2011-08-04  4:28 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2011-08-04  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel, Shawn Guo

@ 2011-03-01 16:41 ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2011-03-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> allyesconfig) failed like this:
>
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:221: error: variable 'pasemi_nand_driver' has initializer but incomplete type
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:223: error: unknown field 'driver' specified in initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:223: error: extra brace group at end of initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:223: error: (near initialization for 'pasemi_nand_driver')
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:227: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:227: warning: (near initialization for 'pasemi_nand_driver')
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:228: error: unknown field 'probe' specified in initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:228: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:228: warning: (near initialization for 'pasemi_nand_driver')
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:229: error: unknown field 'remove' specified in initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:229: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:229: warning: (near initialization for 'pasemi_nand_driver')
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c: In function 'pasemi_nand_init':
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:234: warning: passing argument 1 of 'platform_driver_register' from incompatible pointer type
> include/linux/platform_device.h:124: note: expected 'struct platform_driver *' but argument is of type 'struct latform_driver *'
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c: In function 'pasemi_nand_exit':
> drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c:240: warning: passing argument 1 of 'platform_driver_unregister' from incompatible pointer type
> include/linux/platform_device.h:125: note: expected 'struct platform_driver *' but argument is of type 'struct latform_driver *'
>
> Caused by commit ac677e82cd5c031a010458304821bb8b1e47cf24 ("dt: Eliminate
> of_platform_{,un}register_driver").  Looks like a typo to me :-)

Indeed!  Fix pushed out.  Thanks.

g.

* linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)
@ 2011-03-01  6:54 Stephen Rothwell
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2011-03-01  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

[...]

I applied this patch for today:

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:51:33 +1100
Subject: [PATCH] dt: fix typo

Signed-off-by: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
---
 drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c |    2 +-

diff --git a/drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c b/drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c
index 5a0f1cf..59efa82 100644
--- a/drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c
+++ b/drivers/mtd/nand/pasemi_nand.c
@@ -218,7 +218,7 @@ static const struct of_device_id pasemi_nand_match[] =

 MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(of, pasemi_nand_match);

-static struct latform_driver pasemi_nand_driver =
+static struct platform_driver pasemi_nand_driver =
 {
 	.driver = {
 		.name = (char*)driver_name,
--
1.7.4.1

--

@ 2010-05-18 22:16     ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2010-05-18 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Grant Likely <grant.likely@secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
>> Hi Grant,
>>
>> After merging the final tree, yesterday's linux-next build (powerpc
>> mpc85xx_defconfig) failed like this:
>>
>> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/2615202/
>>
>> I suspect that is something to do with the devicetree tree.
>
> Ah, yes.  I'll push out fixes for those this morning.

Fixed tree pushed out.

g.

From: Grant Likely @ 2010-05-18 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: linux-next, linux-kernel