* [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28
@ 2012-04-13  7:38 Mikael Åsberg
From: Mikael Åsberg @ 2012-04-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I'm trying to run a kernel on a I.MX28 EVK board.
I'm using u-boot (from LTIB) on a SD card to boot my kernel.

First I did 'make menuconfig' and set mxs_defconfig, and then 'make'.
Then I do 'make linux-menuconfig' (adding as many UART options as possible).
I do a 'make menuconfig' again and set Kernel --> Kernel configuration --> Using a custom config file.
I change file path to output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config (instead of mxs_defconfig).
Finally, I do 'make'.

However after uncompression, it stops:

U-Boot 2009.08 (Apr 12 2012 - 17:31:26)

Freescale i.MX28 family
CPU:   454 MHz
BUS:   151 MHz
EMI:   205 MHz
GPMI:   24 MHz
DRAM:  128 MB
MMC:   IMX_SSP_MMC: 0, IMX_SSP_MMC: 1
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   got MAC address from IIM: 00:04:9f:01:d4:04
FEC0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading /uimage

2824696 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 42000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.2.6
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2824632 Bytes =  2.7 MB
   Load Address: 40008000
   Entry Point:  40008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Mikael ?sberg
PhD student (Doktorand), Computer Engineering
School of Innovation, Design and Engineering
M?lardalen University, V?ster?s Sweden
Phone: +46(0)21 101502
Room nr: U1-145
Mail: mikael.asberg at mdh.se

* [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28
@ 2012-04-13  7:56 ` Attila Kinali
From: Attila Kinali @ 2012-04-13  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

God morgon!

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:38:58 +0200
Mikael ?sberg <mikael.asberg@mdh.se> wrote:

> I'm trying to run a kernel on a I.MX28 EVK board.
> I'm using u-boot (from LTIB) on a SD card to boot my kernel.

Make sure you use /dev/ttyAMA0 as console and not ttyAM0
as mentioned in the LTIB documentation.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin

* [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28
@ 2012-04-13  7:56 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-04-13  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:38:58 +0200,
Mikael ?sberg <mikael.asberg@mdh.se> a ?crit :

> First I did 'make menuconfig' and set mxs_defconfig, and then 'make'.
> Then I do 'make linux-menuconfig' (adding as many UART options as possible).
> I do a 'make menuconfig' again and set Kernel --> Kernel configuration --> Using a custom config file.
> I change file path to output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config (instead of mxs_defconfig).

You don't need to do this last step. 'make linux-menuconfig' will edit
the output/build/linux-3.2.6/.config file, and it will be use at the

However, you will want to save your .config file somewhere else in
order to not lose it when you'll do a make clean.

> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Build your kernel with CONFIG_EARLYPRINTK and pass the "earlyprintk"
argument on the kernel command line. It will give some more details on
what's happening.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28
@ 2012-04-13  8:21   ` Mikael Åsberg
From: Mikael Åsberg @ 2012-04-13  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Tack!

I saw this (ttyAMA0) on a post in I.MX Community just before I read your e-mail =) and it works now!
But thx anyway!!

However, I'm very confused with one thing.
I have tried LTIB kernel as well, but I cannot get the gcc compiler (package) included in that kernel.
I just noticed that gcc is not included in the Buildroot kernel either?
I feel a bit stupid asking this but how do I include the gcc compiler package in the kernel configuration??

Regards

Mail: mikael.asberg at mdh.se
Fr?n: Attila Kinali [attila at kinali.ch]
Skickat: den 13 april 2012 09:56
Till: Mikael ?sberg
Kopia: buildroot at busybox.net
?mne: Re: [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28

@ 2012-04-13  8:31     ` Attila Kinali
From: Attila Kinali @ 2012-04-13  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:21:11 +0200
Mikael ?sberg <mikael.asberg@mdh.se> wrote:

> I saw this (ttyAMA0) on a post in I.MX Community just before I read your e-mail =) and it works now!
> But thx anyway!!

NP. I had the same problem and it took me a while to figure it out.

> However, I'm very confused with one thing.
> I have tried LTIB kernel as well, but I cannot get the gcc compiler (package) included in that kernel.

I dont understand what you mean here? Why, and how should the compiler
be included in the kernel?

> I just noticed that gcc is not included in the Buildroot kernel either?
> I feel a bit stupid asking this but how do I include the gcc compiler package in the kernel configuration??

Buildroot builds either its own cross compile gcc or you can use
an external cross compiler. The first one can be found under
output/host/.../bin/, the later, where you specified it.

@ 2012-04-13  9:06       ` Mikael Åsberg
From: Mikael Åsberg @ 2012-04-13  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

>I dont understand what you mean here? Why, and how should the compiler
>be included in the kernel?

For example, I have developed a new scheduler for Linux which is a kernel module.
If I want to run this scheduler in the Linux kernel on my I.MX28 board, I need to compile this kernel module.
Do I compile this module on my host machine with (arm-linux-gcc) and then transfer this binary to the board?
Or do I compile the module on the target board?

Mail: mikael.asberg at mdh.se
Fr?n: Attila Kinali [attila at kinali.ch]
Skickat: den 13 april 2012 10:31
Till: Mikael ?sberg
Kopia: buildroot at busybox.net
?mne: Re: SV: [Buildroot] Kernel does not boot on I.MX28

@ 2012-04-13  9:23         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-04-13  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:06:45 +0200,
Mikael ?sberg <mikael.asberg@mdh.se> a ?crit :

> For example, I have developed a new scheduler for Linux which is a kernel module.
> If I want to run this scheduler in the Linux kernel on my I.MX28 board, I need to compile this kernel module.
> Do I compile this module on my host machine with (arm-linux-gcc) and then transfer this binary to the board?

You should definitely compile it on your host machine, that's the
easiest solution.

If you have properly use Kbuild for the build system of your module,
you should simply add
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-linux-
to the build arguments.

Regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2012-04-13  9:53           ` Mikael Åsberg
From: Mikael Åsberg @ 2012-04-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

>ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/buildroot/output/host/usr/bin/arm-linux-
>to the build arguments.

I'm not sure where to put these, they will not have any effect in the Makefile...

Mail: mikael.asberg at mdh.se
Fr?n: Thomas Petazzoni [thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com]
Skickat: den 13 april 2012 11:23
Till: Mikael ?sberg