* suspected regression in 3.0.28 - applications having problems binding to ports
@ 2012-04-13 18:18 Nikola Ciprich
From: Nikola Ciprich @ 2012-04-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable, linux-kernel; +Cc: nikola.ciprich

I'd like to report following suspicious behaviour of 3.0.27 kernel.

On one of our production boxes, after upgrading from 3.0.26 to 3.0.27,
applications started to behave weird after ~1 day uptime.
Squid started reporting problems binding to port, nagios misbehaved, etc.
I was forced to revert to 3.0.26. We tried to reproduce the problem but were unsuccessful.
After ~1 week without problems with 3.0.26, I tried upgrading this production box to 3.0.27
again to see what happens and the problem appeared again after about one day.

imap started reporting problems:
EMAIL DELIVERY CRITICAL - imap failed: IMAP RECEIVE CRITICAL - Could not connect to A.B.C.D port 993: IO::Socket::INET6 configuration

same for squid:
commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 21 to 0.0.0.0: (98) Address already in use

nagios processes went totally nuts.

There was no other change except for the kernel upgrade.
The box is x86_64 quad CPU 4GB machine, what might be important, we're using
IPv6 as well.
I don't see any suspicious (at least to me) patch between 3.0.26 and 3.0.27.
Since it seems to take quite a long to reproduce, I haven't tried bisect yet, first
wanted to ask - hasn't anyone experienced similar problems?

thanks a lot in advance!

with best regards

nik

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH

tel.:   +420 596 603 142
fax:    +420 596 621 273
mobil:  +420 777 093 799

www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: servis@linuxbox.cz
-------------------------------------

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: suspected regression in 3.0.28 - applications having problems binding to ports
@ 2012-04-13 18:54 ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2012-04-13 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikola Ciprich; +Cc: stable, linux-kernel

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
> I'd like to report following suspicious behaviour of 3.0.27 kernel.
>
> On one of our production boxes, after upgrading from 3.0.26 to 3.0.27,
> applications started to behave weird after ~1 day uptime.
> Squid started reporting problems binding to port, nagios misbehaved, etc.
> I was forced to revert to 3.0.26. We tried to reproduce the problem but were unsuccessful.
> After ~1 week without problems with 3.0.26, I tried upgrading this production box to 3.0.27
> again to see what happens and the problem appeared again after about one day.
>
> imap started reporting problems:
> EMAIL DELIVERY CRITICAL - imap failed: IMAP RECEIVE CRITICAL - Could not connect to A.B.C.D port 993: IO::Socket::INET6 configuration
>
> same for squid:
> commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 21 to 0.0.0.0: (98) Address already in use
>
> nagios processes went totally nuts.
>
> There was no other change except for the kernel upgrade.
> The box is x86_64 quad CPU 4GB machine, what might be important, we're using
> IPv6 as well.
> I don't see any suspicious (at least to me) patch between 3.0.26 and 3.0.27.
> Since it seems to take quite a long to reproduce, I haven't tried bisect yet, first
> wanted to ask - hasn't anyone experienced similar problems?

Did you test 3.0.28?  Your subject line mentions 3.0.28, which was released
a few hours ago, but the body of the email only mentions a regression in
3.0.27 when compared to 3.0.26...

  Henrique Holschuh

* Re: suspected regression in 3.0.28 - applications having problems binding to ports
@ 2012-04-13 19:08   ` Nikola Ciprich
From: Nikola Ciprich @ 2012-04-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh; +Cc: stable, linux-kernel, Nikola Ciprich

> Did you test 3.0.28?  Your subject line mentions 3.0.28, which was released
> a few hours ago, but the body of the email only mentions a regression in
> 3.0.27 when compared to 3.0.26...
ouch, I meant 3.0.27, not 28 :-(
sorry for confusion. I'll be able to test 3.0.28 next wednesday.
BR
nik

--

@ 2012-04-23  5:23     ` Nikola Ciprich