* [U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] Re: Ethernet loopback command
@ 2012-04-16  6:00 Ramappa Hugar
From: Ramappa Hugar @ 2012-04-16  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

  I'm testing the ethernet loopback test on POWERPC 460EX canyonlands
Board. I'm making the ethernet loopback mode by programming the phy
control register.(mii w 0 0 5140)

Then i'm running the ethtool command. But it is showing "loopback test
failed". I have gone through the code whatever i have patched, as per my
understanding it is correct.

can any one suggest me correct solution for this..!
          or
if u know the another ethernet loopback test method kindly suggest me..!

Thanks in advance for your help...!

with cheers,
     Ramu

* [U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] Re: Ethernet loopback command
@ 2012-04-16  9:10 ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2012-04-16  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Monday 16 April 2012 08:00:42 Ramappa Hugar wrote:
>   I'm testing the ethernet loopback test on POWERPC 460EX canyonlands
> Board. I'm making the ethernet loopback mode by programming the phy
> control register.(mii w 0 0 5140)
>
> Then i'm running the ethtool command.

"ethtool" command? This is not part of U-Boot.

> But it is showing "loopback test
> failed". I have gone through the code whatever i have patched, as per my
> understanding it is correct.
>
> can any one suggest me correct solution for this..!
>           or
> if u know the another ethernet loopback test method kindly suggest me..!

I suggest that you take a look at the POST (Power On Self Test) framework. It
has support for ethernet loopback test for PPC4xx. E.g. board sequoia. Look
for CONFIG_SYS_POST_ETHER and take a look at the following file:

post/cpu/ppc4xx/ether.c

Thanks,
Stefan

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office at denx.de

* [U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] Re: Ethernet loopback command
@ 2012-04-17  5:47   ` Ramu
From: Ramu @ 2012-04-17  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Stefan Roese <sr <at> denx.de> writes:

> On Monday 16 April 2012 08:00:42 Ramappa Hugar wrote:
> >   I'm testing the ethernet loopback test on POWERPC 460EX canyonlands
> > Board. I'm making the ethernet loopback mode by programming the phy
> > control register.(mii w 0 0 5140)
> >
> > Then i'm running the ethtool command.
>
> "ethtool" command? This is not part of U-Boot.
>
> > But it is showing "loopback test
> > failed". I have gone through the code whatever i have patched, as per my
> > understanding it is correct.
> >
> > can any one suggest me correct solution for this..!
> >           or
> > if u know the another ethernet loopback test method kindly suggest me..!
>
> I suggest that you take a look at the POST (Power On Self Test) framework. It
> has support for ethernet loopback test for PPC4xx. E.g. board sequoia. Look
> for CONFIG_SYS_POST_ETHER and take a look at the following file:
>
> post/cpu/ppc4xx/ether.c
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan
>
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
> Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office <at> denx.de

i have enabled the POST support in the header file by defining macro and build
the u-boot.bin.

my doubt is whether it will support for canyalands board or not.. and how to run
the post test using "diag" command. and whether i need to configure the phy
control register to loopback mode before testing.

Thanks
Ramappa

* [U-Boot] [U-Boot-Users] Re: Ethernet loopback command
@ 2012-04-17  6:23     ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2012-04-17  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tuesday 17 April 2012 07:47:35 Ramu wrote:
> > I suggest that you take a look at the POST (Power On Self Test)
> > framework. It has support for ethernet loopback test for PPC4xx. E.g.
> > board sequoia. Look for CONFIG_SYS_POST_ETHER and take a look at the
> > following file:
> >
> > post/cpu/ppc4xx/ether.c
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stefan
> >
> > --
> > DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
> > HRB 165235 Munich,  Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
> > Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-0 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: office <at>
> > denx.de
>
> i have enabled the POST support in the header file by defining macro and
> build the u-boot.bin.
>
> my doubt is whether it will support for canyalands board or not..

Not sure. Might be that this driver needs minimal changes for 460EX. But
chances are good that it works out-of-the-box for 460EX/GX too.

> and how
> to run the post test using "diag" command.

Help (?) is your fried. Use "log show" to display the results of the POST
tests. And "diag run ethernet" to re-run this test.

> and whether i need to configure
> the phy control register to loopback mode before testing.

No. No need to change PHY registers. The loopback is configured in the PPC4xx
MAC.