* kvm + vmwgfx
@ 2012-04-19  7:34 Alberich de megres
From: Alberich de megres @ 2012-04-19  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hello!

Anyone has succeed on making a kvm guest linux, say fedora 16, with
vmwgfx driver?
I want to make it work over dri interface, but probably without the
x-org, it will be some testbed for wayland builds.

My host is a fedora 16, with kernel 3.3.0-8, with a working dri card.

I run the kvm:
qemu-kvm -vga vmware -hda f16.kernel-3.3.1.qcow

When intro the guest OS, i try to modprobe kvm, drm, ttm and last vmwgfx.

I got the following output in dmesg:
 [drm:vmw_driver_load] *ERROR* Hardware has no pitchloc

the probe failed with error -38

Any suggestion?
thanks!

* Re: kvm + vmwgfx
@ 2012-04-19  9:17 ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2012-04-19  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberich de megres; +Cc: kvm

On 04/19/2012 10:34 AM, Alberich de megres wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Anyone has succeed on making a kvm guest linux, say fedora 16, with
> vmwgfx driver?
> I want to make it work over dri interface, but probably without the
> x-org, it will be some testbed for wayland builds.
>
> My host is a fedora 16, with kernel 3.3.0-8, with a working dri card.
>
> I run the kvm:
> qemu-kvm -vga vmware -hda f16.kernel-3.3.1.qcow
>
> When intro the guest OS, i try to modprobe kvm, drm, ttm and last vmwgfx.
>
> I got the following output in dmesg:
>  [drm:vmw_driver_load] *ERROR* Hardware has no pitchloc
>
> the probe failed with error -38

IIUC the vmware device emulation was based on reverse-engineering the
linux xorg driver, not on a spec.  As such it may be incomplete.

You can either reverse-engineer the linux driver for the missing bits,
or ask vmware for documentation.

* Re: kvm + vmwgfx
@ 2012-04-19  9:53   ` Alberich de megres
From: Alberich de megres @ 2012-04-19  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

Thanks!

Is there any other way on having at least 2d acceleration with qemu?
If it is possible, using ksm/drm.

Thanks!!!

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/19/2012 10:34 AM, Alberich de megres wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Anyone has succeed on making a kvm guest linux, say fedora 16, with
>> vmwgfx driver?
>> I want to make it work over dri interface, but probably without the
>> x-org, it will be some testbed for wayland builds.
>>
>> My host is a fedora 16, with kernel 3.3.0-8, with a working dri card.
>>
>> I run the kvm:
>> qemu-kvm -vga vmware -hda f16.kernel-3.3.1.qcow
>>
>> When intro the guest OS, i try to modprobe kvm, drm, ttm and last vmwgfx.
>>
>> I got the following output in dmesg:
>>  [drm:vmw_driver_load] *ERROR* Hardware has no pitchloc
>>
>> the probe failed with error -38
>>

> IIUC the vmware device emulation was based on reverse-engineering the
> linux xorg driver, not on a spec.  As such it may be incomplete.
>
> You can either reverse-engineer the linux driver for the missing bits,
> or ask vmware for documentation.
>
> --
> error compiling committee.c: too many arguments to function

* Re: kvm + vmwgfx
@ 2012-04-19  9:53     ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2012-04-19  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberich de megres; +Cc: kvm

On 04/19/2012 12:53 PM, Alberich de megres wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Is there any other way on having at least 2d acceleration with qemu?
> If it is possible, using ksm/drm.

-vga qxl.

* Re: kvm + vmwgfx
@ 2012-04-19  9:57       ` Alberich de megres
From: Alberich de megres @ 2012-04-19  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: kvm

I tried this one, but I have no /dev/dri/card0,
nor any module is loaded in the kernel that uses drm.

@ 2012-04-19 10:27         ` Alon Levy
From: Alon Levy @ 2012-04-19 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberich de megres; +Cc: Avi Kivity, kvm

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:57:50AM +0200, Alberich de megres wrote:
> I tried this one, but I have no /dev/dri/card0,
> nor any module is loaded in the kernel that uses drm.

It doesn't use DRM/DRI yet. There is a userspace X driver,
xf86-video-qxl, that directly accesses the pci.